It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food as a By-Product of Energy Production?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

By Richard Anderson Business reporter, BBC News The farm's 4,000 pigs are contributing to the upkeep of the pens they live in Continue reading the main story Related Stories Chicken 'poo' to generate power 'Poo-powered' vans up and running What to do with 12,000 tonnes of pig poo? That's the question farmers James Hart and Jeremy Iles found themselves asking two years ago when contemplating how best to supplement their dwindling incomes. Thanks to the buying power of the major supermarkets, pig farming is no longer as profitable as it once was, and Mr Hart in particular was looking at ways to make the most of the resources at his disposal. The solution they came up with was beautifully simple; turn the huge amount of pig faeces generated on the farm - not to mention cow dung and chicken droppings - into hard cash. The mechanism for doing so is, in essence, remarkably straightforward and could secure the future of the farm and the livelihoods of the 10 families which depend upon it.

I read this today on the BBC website and this guy is making more money from selling his electricity back to the Grid than he can get from selling his pigs for meat. This is effectively making the bacon a by-product of his energy production

As the saying goes, "Where there's muck, there's brass"

Sorry I can't post the link, I'm doing this via my IPhone and can't work it out

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Here is that link for you Source: www.bbc.co.uk...

I find it hard to believe that this is not implemented by every meat farmer around the globe. The use of feces for energy and fertilizer is not a new concept, yet it is overlooked regularly, which is strange, to me, in the current state of the economy on a global basis.

The wide variety of replaceable resources is staring us in the face, yet big business continues to force the use of fossil fuels and nuclear plants, through the continued production of products that only use out dated forms of fuel.

I bet they could start making lawn mowers that run on Dog feces. Wow a clean and cut yard that would be amazing.
edit on 6-7-2011 by IPILYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That is so cool! Im surprised that every farmer isn't doing this. Could they not do that with our feces? Just imagine a streets septic tank helping pay for everyone energy during winter or something loike that. But i guess the energy comp would lose to much

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
People like these farmers will save us all.

new topics

top topics

join