It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK faces more harsh winters in solar activity dip

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wulfric

Yes my friend & it only will get worse from here, we are headed for an ice age

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I wouldn't say it will be as bad as an ice age by any means. But I do think we're entering a Maunder Minimum.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

if the government gave the pensioners a realistic pension they would not need a heating payment in winter,and as for ( they get a damn good heating allowance ) i don,t know what planet your from but its not here.i have worked in the construction industry as a plasterer all my life and paid into the pension pot .
i am 63 now and i have been out of work for the last 3 years , the employers don,t want some one my age because they think that i would be too slow and also they would sooner employ an immigrant .
i could not get any help from the system because i had savings
for 2 years i had to finance my self and even now i get a reduced pension credit allowence and i am still subsidising myself from my dwindling savings.
when you fear the sound of the letter box and dread opening the bills then you will understand how ridiculous and ill informed your comments were .

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wulfric

LOL, I knew I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the last/last two winters! Although.....what is a lap of death? O____O
Watch out for the health and safety folk.

edit on 6-7-2011 by Wulfric because: (no reason given)

Give it a couple of years, it won't be quite so exciting anymore. What the Brits call "cold", we call "normal" or even warm as far as winter goes. We go into a deep freeze around mid-December and stay that way till February, as in, it doesn't get out of the teens Fahrenheit with snow measured in feet.

Yes, global warming was a good thing!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Well what do you call cold? I manage to sit around in a t-shirt out in the open at 2 degrees celsius
. Last year was roughly -20 celsius where I live including the windchill and I coped just fine

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

if the government gave the pensioners a realistic pension they would not need a heating payment in winter,and as for ( they get a damn good heating allowance ) i don,t know what planet your from but its not here.i have worked in the construction industry as a plasterer all my life and paid into the pension pot .
i am 63 now and i have been out of work for the last 3 years , the employers don,t want some one my age because they think that i would be too slow and also they would sooner employ an immigrant .
i could not get any help from the system because i had savings
for 2 years i had to finance my self and even now i get a reduced pension credit allowence and i am still subsidising myself from my dwindling savings.
when you fear the sound of the letter box and dread opening the bills then you will understand how ridiculous and ill informed your comments were .

My parents are 85 & 65, they are both pensioners. My father too got made redundant in his late 50's, forced into Mrs Thatchers old folks YTS until he reached pensionable age.
Maybe the difference is, some people don't moan about their lot like others do.

They have saving's, enough not to fear the bills coming through the door. The first £10,000 of capital/savings is ignored, thats up from £6,000 in 2009.
It's true there ARE pensioners out there forgotten & skint, what pains me so are people like you moaning about having to tap into your saga holiday funds to put a bar on the fire.

Pensioners get just as much as lone parents, yet lone parents are expected to heat their homes without a lovely lump sum heating payment for the winter. Of course you wont believe it, you'll probably adhere to the notion that all families on benefits rent 500,000 pound annum homes and all the other claptrap the Daily Fail likes to peddle you-but in essence you are better off than most. The government WONT ruffle the feathers of the silver brigade you ARE their tickets to power.

edit on 7-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BasedGod
reply to post by Wulfric

Yes my friend & it only will get worse from here, we are headed for an ice age

No we're not. Well, not for a few tens of thousands of years.

Though due top decllining axial tilt we should be seeing Arctic glaciers advancing still, not at their lowest extent since before the medieval warm period. Wonder why that is?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

What is the allowance £200-£250 last time I looked. How far does that go buying oil? (or gas or lecky?)

It would pay for more than half my annual gas and electricty bill!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

The elderly get a damn good heating allowance

What is the allowance £200-£250 last time I looked. How far does that go buying oil? (or gas or lecky?)

€1000 to fill my oil tank and that happens 3 x a year. Here we get €10 - you gotta love the Irish Gubbermint. They just make sure that wbankers are cozy!

Oh yeah, the Irish government just loves the people! If it's going to be anything like the last 2 winters here the cost of oil I think is going to be the final straw for a lot of us..

Had a hard enough time last year trying to make the wages stretch to cover all the costs.. It ain't going to be fun!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The elderly get a damn good heating allowance

€1000 to fill my oil tank and that happens 3 x a year. Here we get €10 - you gotta love the Irish Gubbermint. They just make sure that wbankers are cozy!

Between £200 & £300 now - dependent on age. And don't forget the extra Cold Weather Payment

Extra payments are made when the weather is very cold in the area. You get an additional £25 a week when the average temperature has been‚ or is expected to be‚ 0°C or below for seven days in a row.

My mam's house is like a sauna in winter, but then she pays her bills quarterly and avoids the blatant rip off that folks on token meters have to suffer.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Your £500 equates to my €887.68 (estimated) cost of running 2 computers for 16 hours a day (400w power supplies) for 365 days of the year @ €0.19 per kw/hr.

So let me see now:

You don't use a washing machine - all clothes are washed by hand
You don't have a dishwasher.
All your lightbulbs are CFL or LED
You don't have a TV
You cook on gas but your heating in by peat/coal/wood on which you spend £3000 a year (
)
You get up at dawn and go to bed a dusk.
You only eat salads

I can't see how else you could manage that low a bill for BOTH.

Darn it even the standing charges on my electricity bill alone (standing charge, government levy and VAT on that) come to €200 a year that is before I use a cent of electricity.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

2 bedroom, mid terrace house. Electric for cooking. Gas for hot water and heating. No dishwasher or tumble drier (but I do have a washing machine!). Computer, TV etc switched off when not in use. No-one at home during the day.

Just looked at my figures and it appears that on average I use 6 kWh electricity per day and 5 kWh gas per day, rising to around 15 kWh gas during that really cold spell last winter (I must have had the heating on!!!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join