It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK faces more harsh winters in solar activity dip

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Britain is set to face an increase in harsh winters, with up to one-in-seven gripping the UK with prolonged sub-zero temperatures, a study has suggested.

Nowadays we can't even deal with one inch of snow, if it falls the entire country shuts down! Can't even begin to imagine a few feet of it!
Personally I -do- honestly think that they are playing this down, and will be worse than they think. The sun is what drives the climate, not one species and if we are going to see barely any sunspots just like in the 17th-18th century we'll be returning to that climate!
Seeing as mainstream scientists are finally beginning to accept the climate is cooling, it is most likely 5-10x worse. (Think of Fukushima with their play-down on it)

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 6-7-2011 by Wulfric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What's this?

Scientists admitting that our climate can actually be affected by the sun?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I know! It's a pretty big surprise haha. When mainstream scientists begin to accept that the climate is cooling as opposed to their 'tax tax tax!' system on 'global warming' then it HAS to be a significant drop in temperature over time for them to actually admit it.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
it really looks like scientists noticed Sun does exist...
hm... what comes next?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
*Does excited lap of death round the living room walls*
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Last winter was BRILLIANT!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

LOL, I knew I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the last/last two winters! Although.....what is a lap of death? O____O
Watch out for the health and safety folk.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I did enjoy the snow...

and it was about the only time I saw people happy and playing with their kids..
lots of laughter and joy
was really goooood

I especially enjoyed having snowball fights with my teenager

my only sadness is that I was hoping for a little bit of global warming so I could see about growing some tropical plants, and so my lilly legs got to see the sun a little bit more.. but hey, snow is just as cool

all I have to do now is avoid the avalanches down here on the Southern coast

edit on 6/7/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
hi
let us not forget the elderly
they suffer the most
many die every winter
the poor buggers have it hard enough as it is

dave

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Very true Dave, good man for remininding us of that. Considering how all of our politicians have a bad attitude towards the elderly there isn't much hope in getting an increased winter fuel allowance

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Being a space weather scientist, I have plausible explanations for all that. The Sun is cooled by the humongous comets bashing in it, stirring the mountains of hot coal and propelling all the Fahrenheits in outer space, in all directions but ours, the Earth being shielded by a gargantuan force field put in place by the Atlants and the Mayans, before they finished drawing that calendar to tell us all about. The Pleiadians arrived much later, and stole the Secret Element - so secret, I cannot name it here - which was making the shield partially penetrable for healthy radiations, so we can go to the seaside and get just the right tan, and now the shield just rejects everything. But fortunately, the very hot and invisible - cloaked in fact - Planet X, Nibiru, will become our new Dark Sun, to protect life on this planet when the shield and the old Sun will go hayware and Betelgeuse will explode. And when Andromeda will collide with the Milky Way, pushed by the evil farts an alien race who wants chlorophyll for claw varnish, the Earth will be thrown into the Evil Magnetic Bubbles. And everything on it shall die horrendously. And I, I, I, I, shall Be The Emperor of The Universe !! Erm.. ah, well… time for my pills.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I love snowy scenery, there really is nothing more beautiful than looking at the countryside covered in snow, the downside of it is I live in a very rural area and it's a sixteen mile round trip for me to get my shopping done. This means I really need my big 4x4 which the government, with their usual ridiculous "one size fits all" approach, are trying to tax off the roads because of all the "townies" using them for the school run, my fuel costs are enormous and my insurance cost 40% more this year compared to last year (I haven't even had so much as a bump for over 15 years) I have to be the lifeline for friends and relatives who live in nearby villages taking them shopping and towing their cars back home when they try to venture out and get stuck on a hill or slide into a field.
If this is going to be the normal British winter for a while, the government ought to think about giving us country dwellers some sort of tax relief.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
hi
let us not forget the elderly
they suffer the most
many die every winter
the poor buggers have it hard enough as it is

dave

I know what you mean Dave, but if people actually gave enough of a toss about their olds or neighbours to help they wouldn't have to suffer. The elderly get a damn good heating allowance and more on top as weeks go by but they end up spending it on their cats or grandkids christmas presents and end up freezing to death.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard

I love snowy scenery, there really is nothing more beautiful than looking at the countryside covered in snow, the downside of it is I live in a very rural area and it's a sixteen mile round trip for me to get my shopping done. This means I really need my big 4x4 which the government, with their usual ridiculous "one size fits all" approach, are trying to tax off the roads because of all the "townies" using them for the school run, my fuel costs are enormous and my insurance cost 40% more this year compared to last year (I haven't even had so much as a bump for over 15 years) I have to be the lifeline for friends and relatives who live in nearby villages taking them shopping and towing their cars back home when they try to venture out and get stuck on a hill or slide into a field.
If this is going to be the normal British winter for a while, the government ought to think about giving us country dwellers some sort of tax relief.

True, true. We had to let our Shogun go a few months back.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There may well be something in it. But the research equally suggests that the UK faces more severe heatwaves in solar dip

The fact that the Maunder Minimum occurred during the Little Ice Age is not really relevant. However previous periods of ow solar activity may explain, for example, the harsh winters we experienced during the Medieval Warm Period.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by trisvonbis

You do realise that your sarcasm will be lost of some here? Then again, you may be right!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by trisvonbis

Lmao! Might be a lot of truth in your thinking. I for one enjoyed it.

If creativity comes in pill form, keep taking em!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wulfric

You are right, and they are trying to take it away too.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was only saying yesterday to a friend that with all this crazy weather going on around the world, we are one of the only places that hasn't been hit hard YET!

I said that we will most likely get hit with a very harsh winter. Well I will most certainly be stocking up a little extra for this winter and I've told my friend to do so as well.

Thanks op, I hadn't seen this article till now.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
nooo...please no more severe winters! I hate snow! Last year I fell with my bike because of the stuff. I thought the place was supposed to get warmer?!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

The elderly get a damn good heating allowance

What is the allowance £200-£250 last time I looked. How far does that go buying oil? (or gas or lecky?)

€1000 to fill my oil tank and that happens 3 x a year. Here we get €10 - you gotta love the Irish Gubbermint. They just make sure that wbankers are cozy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join