It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK...........Public sector salary myth exploded:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
State workers earn MORE - not less- than equivalent staff in the private sector..........

Thought I'd just throw this one 'out there' to be digested.....

For a while the Trade Unions whom protect the Public Sector and look to cause trouble in the name of 'fairness' have overlooked this fact.......!

Public Sector Workers Paid 8% More Than Their Private Sector Counterparts, Figures Show
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

So next time you hear a Teacher Whining on about Pensions or a Council worker upset with a change to their flexitime then ALSO think about the 1400 people losing their jobs at Bombardier in Derby or the 1000's losing their jobs in various retail stores which are closing down !!!

Public Sector YOU CANNOT have your CAKE and eat it as well !!!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
So what the public sector should now have to give up it's benefits and pay because its not equally as crap as the private sector. That's called a race to the bottom. The problem is the disparity of pay within the private sector, where bosses make up to 200 times the salary of their lowest employed. Don't get involved in the divide and rule tactics pitting public sector worker against private.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Sorry mate but that is pure fabrication! Lie! or just pure and simple
Makey uppey!
I worked in the civil service for 25yrs and after 25yrs of pay rises
7 promotions do YOU know how much my final salery was?????
a grand total of £17,000.....
So you are looking at it in an unbalanced way
If you take the civil service as a whole you might have a point
BUT there are far more at the lower end of the payscale to outweigh
them few privaliged at the top..
Peace and respect to all
Regards
Plazmuh

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
My brother works for a local council as an IT engineer....all he does is add buttons to the website and what not. He earns nearly £50,000 a year doing that....i dont imagine the private sector pays anywhere near as much as that.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Last Summer, maybe two Summers ago, the US had a similar news fad of covering this disparity.

Eventually it got to the point that no talking head, reporter or newscaster could honestly say the public sector didnt earn more.

They tried to spins benefits and pensions and anything they could but the numbers always pointed to the public sector earning more.

At the end of the fad they just downplayed it as much as they could by throwing "only" and "slightly" in front of every statement of difference mixed with some sad stories about public sector employees having difficulty paying their bills.

So it's not a story now in the US because it didnt work out the way they wanted it to.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Public Sector YOU CANNOT have your CAKE and eat it as well !!!

Ah, but that's just it. They can. And what's more they insist we pay for it as well. And wash the plates afterwards. We, who have no pension plans because we can't afford one due to having to pay more and more taxes to pay for public sector pensions .....

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
To All

I hear what some of you say and , yes there is an agenda (back to the media...) about divide the population Private Vs Public sectors... BUT it does grate on me with so many private sector job losses occuring around my part of the world and the larger UK that Teachers and the rest seem oblivious to what is happening and care nothing but for themselves when they are actually on a good whack.....

There will be more trouble from the Unions and the Public sector later in the year...of that I have NO doubts but just remember that for years the Public sector has got more and more...justifiable in many cases BUT in addition to the 'benefits' ( flexitime, Assured pensions, discounts in the high street to name but a few)....

A country which relies upon it's Public sector for prosperity is one in which is living beyond it's means....

Most Countries spend more than they earn......... if part of that spending is on payinf for more and more in the Public sector then eventually a time will come when things are unsustainable...maybe not in our working lives but the model is a bad one........

I have always seen that if you work in the Public sector then you earn less but are rewarded in the longer term....... if you work in the Private sector then maybe you earn more in the short term BUT you are exposed to the CUT THROAT nature of business and therefore have to make more provision for the longer term.....

What seems to have happened is the Public sector has it all NOW and into the Future ????

Final point to think about is this............. Bombardier in Derby, close to where I live have lost a Contract for British train manufacture...the Government choosing to purchase via Siemens in Germany.......
The Public Sector civil servants are becoming the more obvious Culprits of this because of the way in which they viewed the Economic impact on the local area and the bottom line price of the deal..............

This was the FIRST contract for these carriages Bombardier have lost in several years to Siemens and was CRITICAL to the company staying open in the East Midlands......... the tendering was done a different way, a way set up by the last Labour Government which APPEARS to have truely F******D up the city of Derby.......

Could this be an example of Over paid Public Sector Civil Servants getting it wrong..??

forgive my anger but something is not right about this situation...

regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

If you think the public sector is better off in retirement sorry fella
but you are wrong again..
After 25yrs service can you believe my final pension is worth..
Add drumroll!!!!!!!
Yes a grand total of---------
wait for it
£7,880 a year*******
Yep im rolling in it
Sorry fella you know absolutly nothing..
Peace and love to all
Regards
plazmuh

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

The thing is if people in the private sector belonged to unions then they could also look at ways in protecting their benefits and working conditions. I saw many deride the BA cabin crew for going on strike. Private sector workers, who through having a strong union have managed to maintain a reasonably high standard working conditions and benefits. But I saw many people slag off the BA crew and say they should be paid the same as Ryan Air cabin crew Once that mentality sets in it gets to stage of how low can we pay people and get away with it and in who's interests does that work in.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mfc1PLAZMUH

If you think the public sector is better off in retirement sorry fella
but you are wrong again..
After 25yrs service can you believe my final pension is worth..
Add drumroll!!!!!!!
Yes a grand total of---------
wait for it
£7,880 a year*******
Yep im rolling in it
Sorry fella you know absolutly nothing..
Peace and love to all
Regards
plazmuh

I hear what you say BUT atleast you have (however small you think it is) a pension !!

I have worked for myself for the past 5 years now (time flies) and I find myself using money perhaps I should be saving (why with interest rates as they are ??) to buy and re-invest in what I do and the odd indulgence too....(life is too short don't you think)..... I don't smoke, don't follow any Nancey boy football team and waste money on season tickets, I don't actually tend to spend on much except what I need to put a roof over my head, fuel my car, feed my pets and do my job.... I do not have the LUXURY of a big company or public sector orgainsation to 'save' for my future. whereas I am being asked to PAY for your measly pension, however small...

My whole point here really is that if the Public Sector wants PARITY with the private sector then they can have it , I say as long as they also need to make their OWN provisions for their futures and NOT RELY on ME for it !!

It's about Individuals TAKING responsibility for themselves and NOT relying on the state and therefore the Tax payer............

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

The thing is if people in the private sector belonged to unions then they could also look at ways in protecting their benefits and working conditions. I saw many deride the BA cabin crew for going on strike. Private sector workers, who through having a strong union have managed to maintain a reasonably high standard working conditions and benefits. But I saw many people slag off the BA crew and say they should be paid the same as Ryan Air cabin crew Once that mentality sets in it gets to stage of how low can we pay people and get away with it and in who's interests does that work in.

woodwardjnr

Your example of the BA cabin Crew is a good one............ it highlights the divide in thinking in the UK.....

Those who EXPECT and those who DON'T...... trouble is that those who EXPECT tend to be the Sheep following the 'herd' mentality whilst those who DON'T tend to be the ones whom try to take responsibility for themselves....

You and I and everyone knows that their is NOT enough money in the POT for pensions and when it comes round to OUR turn to draw from it then there might be a 'rattling sound' of the last few pennies.....

As I said in another answer just........... I have no problem with Public Sector pay being on a Parity with the Private sector BUT when it is higher plus benefits then I think something is wrong......

Being Self Employed certainly teaches you how to run a business and how to run an efficient life........ Trouble is most don't want to and hence rely upon some self employed Entrepreneur to take the risks for them ...!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

You need to realise that your odd dislike of the public sector is a symptom of addiction to the flawed, corrupt and rapidly failing capitalist debt-based monetary system.

It doesn't matter whether I work in the public sector or the private sector - as long as we're paid with glorified IOU's, the whole subject is moot. Watch the Zeitgeist films - you'll understand then.

The Revenant.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

The Revenant

I hear you..

PDUK

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Short form

The public employed are mindless societal leeches that no company who desires to actually would like to make a profi from their product would employ.
In all honesty what would you rather hire? a 23 year old kid with a brown bag BS chemistry degree or a 30+ year old with a PHD on social engineering /judicial justice/ Underwater basket weaving etc, etc,

So they have letters after their names. So what? Letters are letters, if they have a good strong work ethic and desire to do a superior job is what is valuable to an business?
There are degrees and there are degrees that have the potential to produce something of value and as a non public sponsored entity am not enchanted by what the state sponsored school system is spitting out like watermelon seeds. (Speak to them, you will see what a alluding to).

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Do you also realise since being made redundant i sign on
yet dont get job seekers even though im looking for work
all the time..
So a system ive paid into all my life cannot give me anything
because my hard earned pension is means tested..
That being the case can i ask for my contributions back..
You and i both know the answer to that..
Peace and respect to all members
Regards
Plazmuh

top topics

join