It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And so it begins: Caylee's Law online petition

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by kro32
This is democracy in action and your all sounding like a bunch of hypocrites.

We are a Republic here in the USA.

A Republic.

That means you cannot vote away someone's rights. Deal with it.

What rights will be voted away?

The right to ditch a dead body?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

This is democracy in action and your all sounding like a bunch of hypocrites.

We are a Republic here in the USA.

A Republic.

That means you cannot vote away someone's rights. Deal with it.

The actual law they are writing was not my point. The fact that they are creating laws outside of the politicians hands is.

Deal with that

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why am I still seeing the word "accidental" in some of these posts?? Please tell me how the hell a child who has drowned, "accidentally" gets her mouth duct-taped...and what purpose would the duct tape serve IF the child was already dead? Come on folks...let's get our thinking caps on here.

The justice system did in fact work, BUT a child was still murdered....of THAT I have no doubt. Who did it? Who benefited? Well....I have a pretty good idea, but you need solid evidence to convict. Casey is not innocent in this , she is simply "not guilty". Big difference. As for the petition? That is only evidence of the public outrage, nothing more.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
Why am I still seeing the word "accidental" in some of these posts?? Please tell me how the hell a child who has drowned, "accidentally" gets her mouth duct-taped...and what purpose would the duct tape serve IF the child was already dead? Come on folks...let's get our thinking caps on here.

The justice system did in fact work, BUT a child was still murdered....of THAT I have no doubt. Who did it? Who benefited? Well....I have a pretty good idea, but you need solid evidence to convict. Casey is not innocent in this , she is simply "not guilty". Big difference. As for the petition? That is only evidence of the public outrage, nothing more.

Where in the evidence did you see that her mouth was duct taped?

The prosecution couldn't show that

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Yep, people crying for another stupid law.

Sure, I think Casey is guilty. Sure, I think this trial proved the disparity between skill and resources of good and expensive defense attorney's out-duelling state paid prosecutors. BUT, as usual, more laws will only hurt the people without the resources to afford a top notch defense.

Casey didn't get away with it because the law was bad. She got away with it because the high-media attention created a windfall for an attorney. The windfall financed a top notch defense and the defense defeated the mediocre and poor work of the police and prosecutors. If this had not been an attractive young female, the media would not have been so eager, and the defense team would not have been so expensive and so good, and she would probably be in jail.

If people want new laws, how about they outlaw camera's in the courtroom, outlaw live coverage of trials, and how about they up the salary of police and prosecutors so we can start recruiting people at the top of their class instead of the bottom of their class?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Undoubtedly frightening.

I wonder if there is a way to tell which media outlets are simple being caught up in their own current and which ones are intentionally steering the current if any actually are.

I've always believed this affect was accidental. A report makes people interested and further reports attempt to pull viewership/readership their direction for ad revenue so the race for peoples attention takes slight turns until one seems to click. In this case it was the desire to see this woman be found guilty that clicked. Every outlet assumed it, all the people wanted it and we get a media driven mob driving a mob that encouraged the media to push it.

I dont think there is some mastermind in a tower somewhere directing and steering. I think it's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of effect.

Either way the affect is real and certainly open to manipulation.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian

Where in the evidence did you see that her mouth was duct taped?

The prosecution couldn't show that

Exactly.

The duct tape was around the head, like a headband. What happened was that when she died someone decided to stick three pieces of tape around her forhead, because they thought it would be fashionable in the woods.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe a good defense should trump over poor work of police and prosecuters. If I was being accused of something and the state did a lousy job of putting a case against me you better believe i'm gonna tear them up for not doing their job.

And having a great defense team doesn't have any affect on the evidence. Any first year law student probably could have proved reasonable doubt since there wasn't evidence to find her guilty.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Make jokes all you want but that is the evidence so don't argue with me argue with the facts of the case.

Guess they should have called you as a witness since you seem to know what really happened.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Whose joking?

Why else would 3 pieces of duct tape be around her forehead?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Can anybody say Scott Peterson....Hello!!! he was convicted. I guess it's all about the prosecutor and detectives who failed to do a job good enough to get justice for Caylee. Not too mention the grandparents who let there daughter fool them for so long. I can't believe the grandparents went a whole month without seeing Caylee before they lost it and put the pressure to Casey.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Can anybody say Scott Peterson....Hello!!! he was convicted. I guess it's all about the prosecutor and detectives who failed to do a job good enough to get justice for Caylee. Not too mention the grandparents who let there daughter fool them for so long. I can't believe the grandparents went a whole month without seeing Caylee before they lost it and put the pressure to Casey.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator

What about Scott Peterson. Are you implying that his case and this one had the exact same evidence? They are totally different cases.

I could find other circumstantial cases where the defendent got off and others where they were convicted...What is your point?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

My point...it's all about the prosecutor and detectives who failed to do a job good enough to get justice for Caylee

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
While the death of one little girl is a shame, as is the death of any child, the question must be asked where does it end? Tempers and emotions are high, as the mother of Caylee was found not guilty in a court of law, so there fore, this will not bring back the child at all. It will not be a deterrent or save children who are the victims of either a crime or accidents. If anything else, it will end up going badly for parents around the country. In this country right now, in an effort to protect children, there are laws and regulations that are pretty much done as a reaction to the problems of society. Can’t have a child hurting themselves, so society enacts laws in reaction to where children are slowly losing the wonder of being a child. Can’t ride a bike without having a helmet. Can’t allow a child to know failure, everyone gets an award, can’t have children out in the sun, so they get fat through inactivity. The long term consequences of laws that are reactionary often are never thought out and are never any good. Think about the Patriot act, is that making the country any more safer? Or how about those TSA regulations, at the time everyone was gun ho on demanding that the government protect us, and we all see how both has turned out. Even parents are no longer allowed to spank a child or use discipline in the schools. No, the answer is not another law, and especially one that is purely reactionary.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Perhaps the state was not able to prove it's case.

They should have considered charges appropriate to what the evidence would actually prove.

They didn't have much evidence that could indicate what actually happened.
The only thing that the state could prove was that the mother liked to party.

I do think that if you are involved with the coverup of an accidental death, there should be some charges but not the same charges as if you murdered the person.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe a good defense should trump over poor work of police and prosecuters. If I was being accused of something and the state did a lousy job of putting a case against me you better believe i'm gonna tear them up for not doing their job.

And having a great defense team doesn't have any affect on the evidence. Any first year law student probably could have proved reasonable doubt since there wasn't evidence to find her guilty.

Yes, but then guilt or innocence becomes a matter of wealth and resource instead of evidence. A good defense team can find holes in DNA chain of custody. A good defense team can find a psychiatrist that is not only highly qualified, but also attractive and charismatic. A good defense team can hire private investigators to dig up dirt on the cops from years past.

Contrast that with a poor defense team, or a public defender handling a 200 case load. Nobody is looking at chain of custody on a DNA sample, nobody is going to pay for an expert, nobody is looking into the cops personal lives.

As much as I love the United States, I feel that our legal system has been railroaded and destroyed. The human element has been taken out of it. We have mandatory sentencing laws that take power away from judges, and we have attorneys that manipulate juries into thinking they have no choices in their actions, and then we have everyone looking at precedents instead of unique case circumstances. The legal system has been entirely rewritten to ignore the will of our "peers" as it was intended.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I made a comment about this very thing yesterday. It's a CLASSIC case of PROBLEM, REACTION, SOLUTION. They probably already had the paperwork drawn up...that's why they made such a big deal of it. Y'all aint gettin' how the game is played, yet?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Now people like the crazy Nancy Grace are complaining that the Jury system is inefficient; even though we have more people in jail in America than all the people who have been jailed in the history of the world!

Why don't they teach children in the school system how to raise children, that might bring down the child abuse, not any more laws that put people in jail.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Think about the conspiracy angle here. People who watched the MEDIA'S rendition of things are FURIOUS! They are SURE Casey is guilty. But the jury, who saw NO media, could not convict her.

People don't even realize how they're suckling at media's teat... People here on ATS! Conspiracy theorists drinking the media Kool-aid like they're dying of thirst! It's actually kind of funny... and frightening...

nice post STAR for you. I hope you don't mind if i quote your post when talking to people about this case, in the real world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join