It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 Year Old Murdered - Trial begins after 3 year wait

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Source

The murder trial has begun for Brandon McInerney, a high school student from Oxnard, California, who three years ago walked into computer class, sat behind openly gay classmate Larry King, and shot him twice in the back of the head. Opening statements from both sides offered new details about that senseless and horrific case.

Essentially, the trial was delayed for so long based on a number of factors. Primarily, they were arguing whether he should be tried as an adult or not. Which is something I think is silly. Severe crimes require severe punishment no matter the age.

The only exception I could see would be a toddler or something, where the person completely lacks reasoning skills.

More info here:
McInerney trial
edit on 6-7-2011 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
there should be no question about trying this person as an adult. It is clearly a hate crime.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I just dont understand wtf is up with people in this F'n country. I cant wait to move to Europe when i grow up!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Not for nothin jerky but in reality where i live, ALL crimes are hate crimes. You have to have a certain amount of disdain to kill anyone. This touchy feely crap is just that....crap. We are animals, sometimes we just kill each other in the same respect that male bears will kill off bear cubs. Survival of the fittest. The sooner some of this worlds PC sissies understand that, the easier it'll be to know where you stand.

There is nothing civil about humanity...or can you not see that? If I knew I would get away with it.....oh the fun I would have.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Castogere

Yeah but its sad to see we have potential to be something much greater than we are currently.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSensible

They do at 5, 6, 8 ,12, 15. They don't think rationally, they don't think things out, and most don't have a sense of consequence. So trying a child and teen as an adult MUST NEVER BE DONE! Notwithstanding that consequences and help, restraint, and rehabilitation is not needed for teenagers and some older children. They do have trials just different outcomes.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I disagree entirely. There's not a child in all of America that is raised without knowing that murder is wrong. If you learn nothing else in your entire life you learn one thing: Don't kill other people.

Simply knowing that murder is wrong is proof of understanding the consequences. Maybe at the time he killed him he wasn't thinking "well I'm probably going to jail for this", but he knew that you weren't supposed to kill people. He couldn't NOT know.

And if, by some insane circumstance he didn't know, ignorance of the law has never been an excuse.

Edit to add: When you speak of the different outcomes... I just can't agree with that.

When I read the article, I don't think "He just needs a hug. He needs to talk about it and work through his problems and he'll get over it and become a constructive member of society."
Instead I think "My God, we need to put this little monster away in a deep dark hole forever, before he grows into a big monster."
edit on 6-7-2011 by MrSensible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruthseeker789
there should be no question about trying this person as an adult. It is clearly a hate crime.

Why is it clearly a hate crime?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruthseeker789

Individuals have rights, not groups. All crimes are hate crimes. If he is found to be guilty in a court of law of murder then he should be charged with murder, not 'hate murder.'
edit on 6-7-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join