It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons prove Iranian role in Iraq, U.S. says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

BAGHDAD — Iranian-backed militias in Iraq are using more sophisticated weapons than in the past to target U.S. troops and military installations in Iraq, according to senior U.S. officials. James F. Jeffrey, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, said Tuesday that fresh forensic testing on weapons used in the latest deadly attacks in the country bolsters assertions by U.S. officials that Iran is supporting Iraqi insurgents with new weapons and training.

“We’re not talking about a smoking pistol. There is no doubt this is Iranian,” Jeffrey said in an interview. “We’re seeing more lethal weapons, more accurate weapons, more longer-range weapons,” Jeffrey added. “And we’re seeing more sophisticated mobile and other deployment options, and we’re seeing better-trained people.”

U.S. officials have previously accused Iran of supplying weapons and training to Iraqi insurgents, although details have been scant. In a 2009 report on global terrorism, the State Department accused Iran of providing Iraqi militant groups with “advanced rockets, sniper rifles, automatic weapons and mortars” for use against coalition forces. The report also accused Iran of increasingly the lethality of the roadside bombs, or IEDs, that militants were using to blow up U.S. military vehicles.

I guess that Iran is next on the US war machines hit list, I wonder how much of this is the truth ?

Source

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
i find it hard to believe that the IRAQI army went home with all thier weapons... a modern army

and now rather than think.. hey maybe these guys are just picking up thier game.. they use it as propaganda to infer iranian involvement

surely some of that weaponry would still be in iraq.

as well as the pissed off soldiers who had no jobs after occupation.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Last time
( well one major last time heh heh, not sure if it was the LAST time)
the weapons that were claimed to be of Iranian manufacture in Iraq
were upon display shown to be made by Israel Britian and the US...

According to a report by the LA Times correspondent Tina Susman in Baghdad: “A plan to show some alleged Iranian-supplied explosives to journalists last week in Karbala and then destroy them was canceled after the United States realized none of them was from Iran. A U.S. military spokesman attributed the confusion to a misunderstanding that emerged after an Iraqi Army general in Karbala erroneously reported the items were of Iranian origin. When U.S. explosives experts went to investigate, they discovered they were not Iranian after all.”
www.campaigniran.org.../4886

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Your on their doorstep, what else to you expect? Then to pretty much sit there and do nothing, while the USA pillage Iraq, while planning to start Iran aswell?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
It's funny.

I thought American weapons in Iraq's arsenal proved America's role in the American vs Iraq war....

wait.. what?

Yea, that's a bit silly... would be funny if it wasn't true, but it is.

So I propose that we bomb America, for America's role in supplying the enemy with arms in America's wars.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

This is exactly why i have my doubts about the findings of these "forensic tests"

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

...Iran is supporting Iraqi insurgents with new weapons and training.

Well, Lord only knows that Iran has no business poking its nose into other country's affairs, right? I am also amused by the term 'insurgents'...oh, you mean those people that would be called 'freedom fighters' if they agreed with American interests?

Iran would be stupid not to try and influence events next door. They may be wacky...but not stupid.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
LOL!

Pot meet Kettle!

Exactly how many weapons does the US sell to other countries, for what purpose and at what level of involvement?

Yeah. Iran....the real bad guys. pffft

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

A bit like al quada fighting for the USA in Libya, using american weapons. But thats ok, al quada are freedom fighters now working for the USA. Or the guns the USA supplied to the cartels in Mexico.

new topics

top topics

join