It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China coal surge held back warming study says. Confused? Me too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I wish they would make up their minds already.

China's soaring coal consumption in the last decade held back global warming as sulfur emissions served as a coolant, according to a study that takes head-on a key argument of climate skeptics.

While 2005 and 2010 are tied as the hottest years on record, skeptics have charged that an absence of a steady rise from 1998 to 2008 disproves the view that people are heating up the planet through greenhouse gas emissions.

Robert Kaufmann, a professor at Boston University, said he was motivated to conduct the study after a skeptic confronted him at a public forum, telling him he had seen on Fox News that temperatures had not risen over the decade.

"Nothing that I had read that other people have done gave me a quick answer to explain that seeming contradiction, because I knew that carbon dioxide concentrations have risen," Kaufmann told AFP.

news.yahoo.com...

So now they say LACK of CO2 emissions are causing the Earth to heat up. What the hell? Do scientists really know what's going on anymore or is it just a guessing game? Can't they just say they don't know the reason why the Earth is heating and it's due to a natural progression.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The results of the studies are meaningless, they pretty much just indicate who helped fun the "study."

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Earth is not heating - it is now in a (likely) in a 30 yr cooling phase - this Bozo is trying to say that sulphur dioxide emissions from the coal cooled the atmosphere more than the CO2 warmed it.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
In other words don't listen to any of that global warming or any that.
The earth is heating up with out our help.
Although I will say the weather this year has been extremely drastic.
Maybe we're causing that.. or maybe thats mother earth as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
Earth is not heating - it is now in a (likely) in a 30 yr cooling phase - this Bozo is trying to say that sulphur dioxide emissions from the coal cooled the atmosphere more than the CO2 warmed it.

Actually we are heating up far quicker than any other period in recorded history. That's just a matter of measuring the temperature and comparing it to core samples. Not debated.

The debate stands around what is causing it. Human involvement or natural or a combination of both. Also debated is what effect this warming will have on Climate Change. Some say drastic some say not at all.

The only thing known for sure is that humans have never studied this as they are in the process of doing now. Anyone who claims they know anything with regard to Climate Change being directed by global warming is lying.

As to the coal emissions lowering temperature that may be true. When Mt. Pinatubo blew in the 90's it released so much ash into the atmosphere that it lowered the global temperature by 2 degrees for about two years. The crystals in the ash reflect sunlight thus lowering temperature. I don't know about coal emissions but the theory is based in fact.
edit on 5-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I read that earlier and thought, now there's the excuse when it comes out further into the mainstream that global warming is false: wait, it's not false it's just slowed down by China!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Thread already on This Thread Closed

Worst attempt to justify Global Warming... Ever

I have posted my thoughts and research in the thread linked above. If anyone wants to participate.
edit on 5-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Actually we are heating up far quicker than any other period in recorded history. That's just a matter of measuring the temperature and comparing it to core samples. Not debated.

Um - very much so debated I'm afraid !

But how will we know whether the earth is warming or cooling? Today, it all depends on the data source. Two authorities provide us with analysis of long-term surface temperature trends. Both agree on the global temperature trend until 1998, at which time a sharp divergence occurred. The UK Meteorological Office's Hadley Center for Climate Studies Had-Crut data shows worldwide temperatures declining since 1998. According to H

www.theregister.co.uk...

By contrast, NASA data shows worldwide temperatures increasing at a record pace - and nearly a full degree warmer than 1880.

The other two widely used global temperature data sources are from earth-orbiting satellites UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville) and RSS (Remote Sensing Systems.) Both show decreasing temperatures over the last decade, with present temperatures barely above the 30 year average.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Your really gonna use data from the hadly center as your source that global temperatures are falling when they are known for using very weird ways to get data?

Why not use every single other independent source that does global measuring that all agree with each other?

Here is a good site?

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Did you even visit the site your using for your evidence? Their front page is filled with denials of the accusations about them manipulating data.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Earth is not heating - it is now in a (likely) in a 30 yr cooling phase.

cooling where? isolated spots out of the global average? global warming is measured by the annual average highs and ice melt. the averages still inch up and the ice still melts.

as for who or what causes it, thats pretty moot. every other theory tested shows just about EVERYTHING has a influence on it, from humans to animal farts, solar activity to volcanism. preventing or reversing such a thing would have to be drastic, maybe trying to curb deforestation on a massive scale. crazy carbon caps and nutty tax credits will do nothing but have economic consequence.

but even then who knows, the plain fact that the ice is melting contributes. less ice, reflects less sun, and so on.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Absolutely agree with you. And your right that it's irreversable at this point. It's been estimated that if you stopped every single source of greenhouse gases, natural or manmade, tomorrow that there is enough up there to increase the warming for the next 30 years or so.

Going off of memory there so that timeline might be off but the point still remains. I know of a couple interesting studies going on trying to link this crazy weather to global warming and i'll post it as soon as they finish up. I don't think they will find a link but who knows.

I'm in the camp that thinks global warming and it's effects are way overblown. Of course the earth is heating up quicker than in the past but I don't think the changes will be all that worse than what the normal cycle would have brought.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

yeah, I kinda can't get upset about it to really care that much. however, as far as the human element goes, I do think we should start embracing newer technologies in effort to improve air quality. we are of few species to reach the ability to adapt to temperature flux, but having cleaner air is possible. living in a large valley (vegas), standing atop the valley from either side of town, you can see a very thick smog, when I moved here it was nominal and aside from occasional brush fires and dust storms, the air was very fresh.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
the climategate scandal debunked Global warming ..Period

second line

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
the climategate scandal debunked Global warming ..Period

second line

No it didn't it debunked the conclusions of global warming which anyone who studies the field at all will tell you that there are no conclusions to the effects of global warming yet.

Climate gate is just that...about the climate.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This reminds me of the 'scientific' study on livestock burps and farts heating up the globe. The agenda of the one world government proponents based on carbon control is imploding as these 'scientists' continue to have to make up different 'theories' as to why the climate is cooling rather than heating.

top topics

join