It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tries to stop execution in Texas of Mexican killer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
From CNN:

Mexican national and convicted murderer Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. has been executed by lethal injection in Texas.

The Obama administration and international leaders had asked for a reprieve on behalf of the inmate.

What makes Leal's conviction unusual is that he was not informed about his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest -- a right guaranteed under a binding international treaty.

Leal, 38, was convicted of raping Adria Sauceda, a 16-year-old girl in San Antonio, and then strangling and bludgeoning her.

According to a Texas official, Leal's final words included: "I am sorry for everything I have done."

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Adios!!!

(That's goodbye in Spanish)

edit on 7-7-2011 by Carseller4 because: 5 second edit rule

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Im thinking that this has alot to do with the bilderburger perry getting elected.My guess is that he will announce his run for the big office pretty soon.just speculation on my part.The timing is more than a coincidence in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
they should of granted him legal status, then got on with it.

but it's over now.

i'm sure this guy was thinking about the mexican consulate all those years in the states.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Thats the issue I have with this. Mexicos initial problem was ineffective counsel by the guys defense attorney. For some reason they never used that as an argument, and instead tried to stop the execution on the grounds of failure to notify his consulate.

Ther eis absolutely nothing special a consulate can do. They are allowed access to their national and are allowed access to all legal material relating to the case. They dont get to have any other special treatment. Its designed to ensure foriegn nationals are covered when arrested in a foriegn country, specifically to ensure equal protection under the law.

In this case, nothing can change the events or the outcome.

As I said before, the feds should be charged as well for all actions that result in the death of a US citizen by a foreign national. If the feds dont want to enforce federal law at the border, why should the states be forced to compromise their judicial system to cover a federal failure?

Even when we mirandize people, all we are doing is informing the person of their rights. The person is required to invoke those rights, not the police. The consular treaty has several classifications depending on type of agreement with a foreign country.

Some countries are immediate notification, others are notification ONLY if the foreign national invokes the request.

Maybe Mexico should spend the bulk of their time educating their citizens about travel abroad instead of trying to change the laws of US states.

Maybe the Federal Government should spen more time enforcing federal immigration laws and less time representing the intrests of any group / person or country that is not the United States.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Im still smiling after reading that
That dude was a waste of oxygen. What a message that sends
Good job Texas

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This law that the Obama administration wants Congress to pass -- how will it affect the prisoners of Gitmo? What about the convicted terrorists? There is much behind this proposed law that we are not taking into account.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The Citizen of the World brings the UN into this. Obama is not interested in US Sovereignty, he is interested in destroying it so the UN Totalitarian World Govt will be furthered. The guy is a complete stooge.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Texas executes Mexican after court stay rejected

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — A Mexican national was executed Thursday for the rape-slaying of a teenager after the U.S. Supreme Court turned down an appeal to spare him that was supported by Mexico and the White House.

In his last minutes, Humberto Leal repeatedly said he was sorry and accepted responsibility.

The court rejected the request 5-4. Its five more conservative justices doubted that executing Leal would cause grave international consequences, and doubted "that it is ever appropriate to stay a lower court judgment in light of unenacted legislation."

"Our task is to rule on what the law is, not what it might eventually be," the majority said.

news.yahoo.com...

Obama didn't get his way.

edit on 8-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Obama didn't get his way.

And that makes me smile. But I'm disturbed that the SC ruling was 5-4...it shows how damn partisan the SCOTUS is.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The guy had 16 years to contact the Mexican Consulate or the Mexican Embassy. So did his lawyer(s).

This is a complete shot in the dark but I'm going to go out on a limb and wager a guess that in the last 16 years, Mexico found out.

If I went to Mexico, got high on coc aine, then kidnapped, raped, and BRUTALLY murdered a 16 year old girl with a nail and a 2X4, death penalty or not, I'm pretty sure I know how the local Mexican police would have handled me.

What if I wasn't from America, legal or illegal? What if I was from Central America?

There is so much more I would like to say but I don't want to be responsible for derailing the thread.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
So now the United States is above International Law is it? Unbelievable. You lot think you can just do whatever you want with no checks and balances and no accountability to the rest of the world?

I could name a few other countries that thought they were above International Law - lets start with Nazi Germany shall we?

The bloodlust in this thread is the perfect example of why the death openalty should be done away with - it's antiquated and a relic of the Dark Ages.

Unfrikkinbelievable. And you wonder why people dislike the United States.
edit on 8/7/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Look at what other countries around the globe would've done in this case. He wouldn't have lasted more than 30 days before he was hung or beheaded! I'm glad they carried out the law as sentenced. He even apologised for his deeds before they started the flow! We need to toughen up on the foreign criminals in the country anyway! The world nows we don't have balls anymore....time to grow a pair!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join