It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis. I Get It. You Get It. We All Get It. Let's Talk About It.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

There's also the sound of the wind gushing in my ears

That's a very interesting quote to me because I know exactly what you are talking about and I have described it as whooshing sound that feel like some sort of energy attack (not that they are, but they certainly feel like electricity and wind combined) which feels like they come in waves.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by Motumz

Everyone has their own beliefs which are biased by their upbringing, culture, lifestyle, philosophy and indoctrinations. Material Realism isn't superior in any sense, it is simply a philosophy (with conclusions) based on measurements and observations of the physical world that is limited by current technological tools. Who are you to tell a person that has lived with voodoo all their lives and have been affected by it (positive or negative) that it isn't real when through experience is has been very real to them ( regardless if it is through placebo, self fulfilling, psychosis or real phenomenon).

Not trying to flame here, but NO ONE knows the answers to the mystery of life. Do I believe in demons and angels? I'm indifferent personally, but I would not be so arrogant as to tell someone that does believe that they are dwelling in fantasy land and state it as a FACT and not as an opinion.

What's interesting is that you yourself claim to "detect" or sense energy both negative and positive, but what proof do you have that such thing exists? Absolutely none. The irony here is that I use to believe the same thing, about there being no such thing as demons and angels and inter-dimensional beings, with I must add, there being only negative and positive energies. Since then I have come to the conclusion that I do not know anything and what I was basing my beliefs or philosophy on was simply a different ideology (New Age) that was no different from any other religion.

You literally blow my mind with you're ignorance. Seriously. It's almost funny to me how ape-like you are. What proof do I have? How about the UK studies on how this energy and the sixth sense exists you dumb monkey, not too mention the millions that can sense the same thing that I do. ESPECIALLY the ancients. Seriously, don't #ing blurt out it doesn't exist just because you're small brain can't handle what is really there. It sickens me, furthermore it astounds me that someone that (I assume from your name) takes Shrooms and is still this close minded and angry. -- The minor insults may be out of place, but I'm sorry sir, you deserve them. And it's true to, you're brain just isn't attuned to what is really there. Can you "tune" it? Yes. But I doubt you'd want to or even can in the first place. 'Nuff said, I'm not even going to read your response.

I'm not claiming I know all universal knowledge, but I do know bits and pieces, and I have tried sharing them. But degenerates like yourself shoot it down to be babbled bull#. Think what you what man, either way I can get the satisfaction. If you embrace some of these things (don't take my word for it, look it up) than congrats, I'm happy for you. but if you stay in the dark and inhibit your own growth, well, that's just funny to me. Peculiar really, how someone would choose to be ignorant.

Anyway, sorry if I didn't respond to the rest of your post or whatever, I stopped reading after the paragraph I responded to. No sarcasm, it's the truth.

EDIT: Saw you called my senses new age? Wow, you're absolutely DEAD wrong. This goes back for atleast 7,000 years, and I'm being strict with that timeline. It goes back even farther but I don't want you arguing that humans have only been here for X amount of time. Honestly it doesn't matter, this belief (which is no belief, it's factual) has been around for a very very long time. You are just flat out wrong. Stop posting, and stop calling me close minded, you're the close minded one, and you're just deflecting your own problems onto me.

Originally posted by matito
reply to post by Motumz

I think you are jumping to conclusions regarding peoples interpretation of "demons" in their accounts of SPs. I've had an SP that had demon like entities, yet at the same time I do not proclaim that demons exist in reality. People here are describing their personal experiences in which many include entities or apparitions that appear sinister or demon like. Maybe this is because SP invokes negative energy and fear. Just because a demon like creature is sensed or seen in the SP doesn't mean a persons believes in demons in real life. These SP experiences seem lifelike to many yet that doesn't mean they are. Like the thread is titled, people are openly discussing these SP experiences and attempting to understand them.

My main question is why are SP events always ridden with fear and apparitions that seem to want to do harm? Is this some kind of negative manifestation of the subconscious or lucid dream state?

I also wonder if it's related to OBEs since they seem tied together.

Since you sense energy, do you sense negative and positive energy or is the energy you sense neutral at all times?

Not sure what your last question means? I don't sense neutral energy, ever. Either the energy in the room or energy illuminating off people is negative or positive, or both. I've never actually sensed neutral energy, but then again, would it really be possible to sense nothing? Hope that answers your question I guess.

Originally posted by acidsweep
reply to post by Motumz

first of all, this was sharing an experience, second I never forced anyone to believe anything, as I know it's hard to believe. This is also where you beliefs fall into place, one man's "mystery" is another man's "science".. well no crap. but YOU have zero evidence that it does not have to do with anything paranormal. you should grow up and open your mind. If your so confident, bring your 'research' forward and help the world. Otherwise, you whine and bicker all you want just because you don't understand or believe something..

funny world we live in. the world aint flat sir. What you believe is true, might not be, what I believe might be wrong also. But honestly, who gives a flying crap. We're just sharing.

open your mind, you don't have to believe, but try not to bash on other's thoughts and experiences, which I'm sure many in this thread have experienced the SP phenomena, and still haven't got a real clue. Obviously, the answer to SP isn't obvious.

edit on 2-8-2011 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2011 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

Look, obviously you're still in the shadow of ignorance. There is no such thing as paranormal... ONLY CLOSE MINDED THINKING. Basically you're not thinking out of the box. What is paranormal if it is a regular phenomena? Birds are here but that doesn't mean it's a paranormal entity, it just means we UNDERSTAND what it is. If we understood what paranormal activity was, then it would go from paranormal to just a 'simple' phenomena.

It's just so funny how you say "i whine and bicker" WHEN YOU YOURSELF do it right after you talk about it! I'm sorry that you don't understand what I'm talking about, but that is your problem, not mine. You sir, are one seriously pathetic individual. I'm not at all trying to act high and mighty, nor am I.. but my thoughts towards you stand true, but that's just MY OPINION!
That opinion also goes to the eatingmushrooms kid as well, as he shares the same ignorant and misinformed/uneducated ideas/rants.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Motumz because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2011 by Motumz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cry93
reply to post by matito

If you are into this kind of thing then I would start with researching the pineal gland. I've been doing some reading on this after being led to it while researching another topic. Anyway, the pineal glad secretes melatonin and serotonin, 2 very important chemicals when it comes to the wake/dream states. My opinion, as I stated before, is some people are just wired with experiencing sleep paralysis. I suspect others can have episodes of it but I'm speaking on people who are chronically experiencing sleep paralysis.

And yes, I do believe it is associated with OBEs and AP.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. There's you're answer folks, it's not really a complete answer, but again.. take it or leave it. I couldn't care less.

My best friend's girlfriend has chronic SP and "chronic" lucid dreaming. She HATES it. Theres not some demon following her, it's just brain chemistry man. Or atleast that is a big part of it.

I just think there is so many factors to this that there really isn't one answer. Leave it at that.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Motumz

Everyone has their own beliefs which are biased by their upbringing, culture, lifestyle, philosophy and indoctrinations. Material Realism isn't superior in any sense, it is simply a philosophy (with conclusions) based on measurements and observations of the physical world that is limited by current technological tools. Who are you to tell a person that has lived with voodoo all their lives and have been affected by it (positive or negative) that it isn't real when through experience is has been very real to them ( regardless if it is through placebo, self fulfilling, psychosis or real phenomenon).

Not trying to flame here, but NO ONE knows the answers to the mystery of life. Do I believe in demons and angels? I'm indifferent personally, but I would not be so arrogant as to tell someone that does believe that they are dwelling in fantasy land and state it as a FACT and not as an opinion.

What's interesting is that you yourself claim to "detect" or sense energy both negative and positive, but what proof do you have that such thing exists? Absolutely none. The irony here is that I use to believe the same thing, about there being no such thing as demons and angels and inter-dimensional beings, with I must add, there being only negative and positive energies. Since then I have come to the conclusion that I do not know anything and what I was basing my beliefs or philosophy on was simply a different ideology (New Age) that was no different from any other religion.

Oh and for the record if I were to form an opinion on the subject matter, my choice would be the scientific explaination because it makes the most sense. But just because it makes the most sense does not mean that it is the true.

A word of advice, if you want to tell people what they believe is a delusion or something based on fantasy or a fairy tale, then it's best not to speak about your own fairy tales ("energies"), it comes off as a bi-polar OCD patient calling a schizophrenic patient a loon.

edit on 3-8-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by philware
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

when awake is it called awake paralysis
just a thought

edit on 2-8-2011 by philware because: (no reason given)

Hmmm not sure why you quoted me, but I'll respond nonetheless. The whole thread is about sleep paralysis which means waking up (or right before dosing off) and not being able to move or speak. You are truly awake most of the time (some of the time your mind believes you are awake but you are not), and the feeling of not being able to move is quite scary. There is no such term as "awake paralysis", even though if you wanted to be literal then you can call it that. But no one would know what you are talking about lol. If you mention sleep paralysis they'll pick up automatically on what you mean.

Sorry for the triple post, but I am unsure why you "argued" with me in the first place? Reading your last paragraph explaining to the other member on what SP is, literally aligns with what I think and what it is. So why you flamed me in the first place is beside me. The only thing you're misinformed on is the energies, which are real, sorry but they are. If they didn't exist, you wouldn't be here right now. This energy flows through everything. All ranting aside, I encourage you to atleast give it a look, a good look. This isn't new age #, okay? It just isn't.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Had it frequently when i was a child,(also experienced a what you call awake dream state? Being awake and moving in my parents room on my mattress, but seeing a totally different scenery) and SP only a couple of times within the last year.. Edit: And by the way, i can also sense positive and negative energy
Especially on other people i am interacting with
edit on 6-8-2011 by creatureme because: edit

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Motumz

I see, if someone points to your hypocrisy you throw a fit and start calling people names. Get off your high horse man and try and learn some things about calming your ego. Other than that your post proved you are no different from religious fanaticals that spew venom at those not following their UNPROVEN beliefs .

edit on 7-8-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I may have responded to this thread already, too tired to check at the moment. But I'll re-iterate whatever I may have said before.

I've had sleep paralysis in the past, usually it's for a short time, and a few times I've been able to force myself to move in order to accomplish something.

One of these times that I was able to force movement, and it truly was like trying to move through quicksand, I happened upon a dark "smiling" shadow that was moving back and forth between my lamps, turning them off while it grinned at me. I was wholly pissed by this, and forced myself to roll over off my bed and turn both back on, with the shadow still grinning.

The only other recent paralysis I endured, was to find myself fully awake, but being lifted by 4 small hooded stumpy figures, wearing ragged dark clothing. This time, I felt no anger or frustration, just amusement, as I woke up in the process of being carried through a mirror on my wall. The sensation was cold, as if I was being lowered into cold water, chilly even. I was moving lateral, though, through my mirror, and I remember looking down at my feet only to see myself slowly approaching my reflection, until the very end when I blacked out, the mirror having reached my head.

Interesting huh? All true. I can't say if they were wholly dreams or not though. I doubt anyone could say with 100% certainty that such odd situations are truly real. But they sure as hell felt real.

Anyone with similar experiences? These particular ones took place about a year ago, at a different apartment from where I am currently living.
edit on 9-8-2011 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

There's also the sound of the wind gushing in my ears

That's a very interesting quote to me because I know exactly what you are talking about and I have described it as whooshing sound that feel like some sort of energy attack (not that they are, but they certainly feel like electricity and wind combined) which feels like they come in waves.

That explanation has crossed my mind once or twice. Another theory I made up is that there is a subtle energy body going about while asleep which is controlled by the psyche (which is neither in the physical nor is it made up of the stuff experienced in dreams). That psyche might be developed to become selfconscious or aware instead of being unconscious, not more than a bunch of programming and expectation patterns.

While developing that psyche things can go wrong to a degree such as in my case during that phase I mistook the subtle body as something alien or maybe some malevolent spirit chasing me around. I think I identified with the psyche, used it to outrun my shadow and returned to my physical body at high speed with the subtle body rubberbanding behind me which felt like some kind of wind was coming from behind my head.

The right way would be to slowly reattach to the physical body. In retrospect I was going through a difficult time trying to understand my mind better, at first denying the existence of a subtle energy body, then later accepting it to be true but unable to recognize my own and dealing with fears of possession or anything I read in my life, upto entertaining theories about aliens abducting it. Of which none was true but I guess that was my way of learning.

Personally I believe others who experienced sleep paralysis have conflicting programming, during their waking state they usually believe there is nothing else but the physical body but at certain times during sleep their subtle energy body reenters the body and halfway during this process (when the psyche shifts from the subtle to physical) they wake up instead of at the end of the process. Due to denying the subtle body (because the experiencer of sp at one time in their waking life rejected the subtle body) there is nothing there to control that other body which the brain translates to the psyche as being unable to move.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Motumz

LOL.. your talking about inducing OOBE whenever you want, and seeing colors and energy.. and you have the nerve to totally discount the paranormal??? you know how ignorant and plain stupid you sound? seriously.. YOU need a check up or did you forget your meds?

also, I wasn't saying every single experience is demon related. in fact, I was saying this is what my, and other asian cultures believe and are taught.. so your angry someone gave an explanation that didn't fit what you deemed 'true', you insult the person. GROW UP. Do I personally believe in demons? I DUNNO! There's some negative energy out there.. do i know exactly what it is? NOPE... due I have clues? yes.. SP personally happened to me, I didn't understand it at the time, I didn't call out 'i got a demon on me' like you made it out to sound. That's what I was told by some family members.. thats when I started asking them more about it, and was fascinated by what they were telling me, and learned more about MY HISTORY and CULTURE. I shared because I was asked to!

Your ignorance and closed-mindedness is of the worst kind.
edit on 10-8-2011 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

sorry no offence
it was a real but maybe silly
question

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I've had this quite a few times, the last being a month or two ago...which was the scariest of all.

I even HEARD something in the room with me, and felt it beside me at the bedside..I could feel something looking at me, and there after, felt it come onto the bed and sit on me. I couldn't move...and lay there terrified until it passed.

So friggin real..I dread my next one.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
So I joined to participate in an entirely different way, but I saw this and had no idea this was a known phenomenon.

I've been experiencing this for the 6/7 years. It began after I got married; me and my wife we're both having affairs and there was a lot of bad blood and (don't comment or ask why, that's not why I'm posting), we had created a lot of what felt like bad energy in our apartment.
Towards the end of our time there at the height of the negativity I began to get the impression of being watched as I slept. Then one night I woke up during the night and felt unable to move. It was uncomfortable, but thought nothing of it. and dismissed it. The feeling of being observed didn't leave though.
During this time I spent the weekend with the woman I had been seeing at a hotel in the country. She was begging me to leave my wife and I was refusing. We argued and fell to sleep. During the night, I awoke again with a start and looked out across to the big bay window that was two stories up, and had the impression of a black figure staring back at me. The fear was incredibly intense and I think my brain shut off, as the next thing I was waking properly in the morning with a feeling of WTF and a lingering fear.

After a while, things we're beginning to improve between me and my wife, and decided we needed to move as the apartment just felt incredibly negative as soon as you walked through the door and had too many bad memories attached.
We moved to an apartment about twenty miles away. It felt good to have somewhere fresh, but we both ruined it for each other quite quickly (me more so than her), and I remember going to sleep feeling troubled. I awoke during the night suddenly for no reason and opened my eyes.
I had something like the impression a light bulb leaves on your vision if you stare at it and then close your eyes, but obviously in reverse. The impression was of a face inches from my own. Several times there, I felt the feeling of paralysis.

After a year there, still with the feeling of being watched, we moved further away still. Things had improved markedly between us, but we were going through serious financial strain and although it didn't affect the relationship, it was obvious it was heavy on both our minds. Several times there I had the feeling of paralysis, but being familiar now, I sort of shouted my way out of it. Perhaps twice I awoke thinking that I was screaming out "NO!" at the top of my lungs, but my wife said neither time she heard anything.

The most recent was a few weeks ago. I was falling asleep and recognising the feeling coming on, I willed myself awake, turned on my stomach and slept soundly.

Throughout the episodes, sporadically I would hear a ringing in my ears during the phase of going to sleep that would grow to great intensity before subsiding. Also sometimes I felt I had a 'looped thought'. Like an idea or concept that wouldn't let me sleep until I was mentally exhausted.

-----

Question: Do any other sufferers, get something akin to a 'vision' during waking hours? I sometimes get something like a faint overlay on what I'm looking at, but of somewhere that feels more complete and palpably better and... cleaner, purer? I get it most often on the highway, or looking at wide open spaces.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have experienced it only once, and that was about 5 or so months ago, at least i believe it was sp, I know some people have spoke of waking up and not being able to move, but with me it was a little different, I was asleep and I dont recall dreaming or anything, I just remember startling awake and shooting straight from a laying to sitting postion in my bed and drawing in a sharp deep breath as if I had been being restrained and not breathing, also I felt a very uneasy almost evil presence in my room along with extreme sudden fear that I have never felt in my life, even the other things instances that i have posted threads on the fear i felt on those could not even compare to how I felt on this one. needless to say as soon as I inhaled a breath being that i am a christian I began praying and as i prayed i felt as if the presence was fading and being replaced by peace. this has been my only experience with something like that so id like to ask those of you who know, culd that have been SP or was it something else?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Turn on the captions.

From the comments:

The person whose experience this episode is based on said that when the bride spoke to him, there was a particular word she said that no matter what he could not remember afterwards. That is why, in this video, her lips are seen moving but no sound comes out when she says "but you're not a... either." However, he does remember that he was absolutely terrified by it when she said it.

The notion that a single word could carry such a payload of horror...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have never had that sensation happen when waking, but i have had it happen during a meditation session. My phone rang while i was in deep meditaion, and it jerked me out of my train of thought. Although I wasn't able to move until after the third or fourth ring.

I belive this is related in the fact that meditating brings forth a state of extrem relaxation, just as sleeping does. In doing so you activate the Pineal Gland, or third eye. (for more info on Pineal glad look at this site www.crystalinks.com... ) Indoing so you are activating regions of your brain that while being active/awake are almost inactive. Possibly connecting you to a spiritual or energy force. In my mind it is just a broader understanding of the inner works of life.

If it is causing worry try to detach your self from the moment and take some time to contemplate difficulties in your life, or questions you seek a deeper understanding to.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
i've been experiencing sleep paralysis constantly. i figured out how to do it manually. im 16 and usually when i go to sleep my tiny tv is on next to my bed, and its been that way for the past year. when ever im going to sleep and i want to enter sleep paralysis i just focuz on my TV while my eyes are closed, and my mind will stay awake while my body sleeps,

most times i do this i enter into a lucid dream, but 20%of the time ill just get stuck in bed half dreaming half awake.

this may sound weird but whenever i do this it feels like i CAN move, but im not going anywhere. i remember i tried to scream for help while in SP but it came out like a raspy whisper

but sometimes it happens without me doing anything, usually in between a bunch of short sleep sessions (20-30min of sleep then waking back up again over and over), this will either cause me to astral travel or just get

stuck :S

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
also this has nothing to do with ghost and stuff, tho sleep paralysis can lead to spiritual development i believe.

its just your bodies safe guard from hurting its self when sleeping, know how you think your moving in your dreams but your not? that what sleep paralysis does for you, you brain shuts down all signals to the non primary muscles making sure your nice and safe when your snoozing.

sometimes you wake up to fast and your brain wont start up the fast enough muscles, this is usually accompanied by a state of Wake dreaming, to explain this its like beingin your room, but in another world. ( what it looked like to me.) anyway no worries people its totally natural. and if you can master it you can master astral travailing.

cuz i just read alot of scary stuff in the post before mine and i dont want people freaking out for no reason.

take a deep breath, everything OK

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Wow, look at us go, so many here on ATS have experienced SP. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Thank you all for coming by to leave your stories.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I had SP from the age of 13 until something around 23 maybe.

It always started with this feeling that somebody is in my room watching me. That alone was creepy enough. Sometimes I heard "Tao's hum" before an SP.
Then my leg would start tremble and it would go through my whole body and lock me in the position I was lying. The only thing I could move was my eyeballs. My chest felt heavy like somebody was sitting on me. Once I managed to pull up my upper body, but got slammed back.

I prayed and it stopped

The first times it freaked me out but I kinda got used to it. I even started talking to "it" when I knew i was about to have one. Stuff like "leave me alone!" And it stopped.

The most bizarre thing to me is that immediately right after having an SP I went to sleep like nothing had happend. Like seconds later.

I have to add that my SPs never occurred DURING sleep, but always right before I fell asleep. And I can't remember if I saw shadows.. But it felt very evil..

edit on 31-12-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

This happens to me all the time. I do not like when it happens. It happens sometimes in the middle of the night and I can hear and see things that are not really there when it first started happening I thoght i was seeing ghosts in the middle of the night but,I looked into it and found out it was really sp. I do not like the feeling of lying there and not being able to move or say anything it is creepy. also I have lucid dreams all the time right before i fall asleep I will relize im not fully asleep yet but,im having a dream it is werid!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join