It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Processed Meats Declared Too Dangerous for Human Consumption...what are the home alternatives?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think its time we came up with an alternative diet.
What can be done at home to create a sustainable HEALTY diet?
finding, preparing, storing, and how to make it good enough to eat.
your thoughts?

The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has just completed a detailed review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer. Its conclusion is rocking the health world with startling bluntness: Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives.

Processed meats include bacon, sausage, hot dogs, sandwich meat, packaged ham, pepperoni, salami and virtually all red meat used in frozen prepared meals. They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite. This is used as a color fixer by meat companies to turn packaged meats a bright red color so they look fresh. Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them.

www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Depending on where you live they are plenty of small farms that sell organic meat that they process on site with no chemicals

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Too bad leafy green vegetables are the richest source of nitrates/nitrites. Also, I'd love to see the actual review that is mentioned but not cited in the article posted in the OP.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Easy!

Form a close relationship with a local meat processor. They will obtain the meat from the farm you specify, or you can bring it yourself. They will process it to your specifications. They will cut it to the size you like, and they will not add any chemicals you don't ask for.

Most will sell by the whole, half or quarter of a carcass.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
....."and they shall eat the food out of hunger, but it will be poison."
Hmm read that somewhere..

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite

I guess you shouldn't eat vegetables either.

reply to post by alex655320

Depending on where you live they are plenty of small farms that sell organic meat that they process on site with no chemicals

I'd like to see a farm where they do anything without chemicals.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I guess I will look forward to cancer because I won't give up bacon, sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs or steak. The only hunting or fishing we do anymore is at the store although some family members bring us meat and shrimp occasionally.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite

I guess you shouldn't eat vegetables either.

reply to post by alex655320

I'd like to see a farm where they do anything without chemicals.

Sodium Nitrate is a common meat preservative substance. Its hugely toxic to the digestive system and is linked to colon cancer.

Its not found in vegetables...those are pesticides.

Oh yeah, and its a good idea to visit the farmers market every week and or some local farm food distributor.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
damm why is all the good tasting stuff so bad for us...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

There goes the ham sandwich. I swear...I suppose I knew it all along and tried my best to limit these foods, but sandos are quick and easy...oh, yeah. Anyway, stick to seafood, er I mean, veggies, well, organic, I mean, I mean anything grown out of your own garden...

CJ

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I did some searching and found another article (came out today). Im not sure if this article comes from the same study.

www.newschannel10.com...

A new study from Harvard researchers found that processed meat, like hot dogs, bacon and lunch meat, contain massive amounts of sodium and preservatives..
Which both play a major role in heart disease and diabetes
Doctors recommend eating one serving of processed meat a week..

Researchers say unprocessed red meat, on the other hand, does not appear to raise the risk.

I cant find a link to the study, but would love to read through it.
edit on 5-7-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Too bad leafy green vegetables are the richest source of nitrates/nitrites. Also, I'd love to see the actual review that is mentioned but not cited in the article posted in the OP.

here is the web sight for the .org
www.wcrf.org...
here is the page describing details of the report
www.wcrf.org...

it is the sumation of many it says above so..
this report is a apparently a collation.

so why do you think leafy green vegetables are "the richest source of nitrates/ ites?"
edit on 5-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2011 by Danbones because: spelling

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Can't live your life on the assumptions that everything will kill you.

If you did you would never enjoy anything. Better to live contend and die happy than live miserable for a few extra years.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Sodium nitrate is used as an ingredient; in fertilizers, pyrotechnics, as an ingredient in smoke bombs, as a food preservative, and as a solid rocket propellant, as well as in glass and pottery enamels. The compound has been mined extensively for those purposes...
...Sodium nitrate should not be confused with the related compound, sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrate in the brine gives cooked corned beef its classic reddish color (without it corned beef comes out gray), and it kills botulism spores. Nitrate is actually changed to nitrite by bacterial action during processing and storage and nitrate itself has no effect on meat color

en.wikipedia.org...
Rocket fuel seems to be a good source for the daily recommeded dose,
as are highball glasses..
that was a nice martini..and now for dessert...

I would think washing ones vegetables might help..
but one doesn't usually wash sausage

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Can't live your life on the assumptions that everything will kill you.

If you did you would never enjoy anything. Better to live contend and die happy than live miserable for a few extra years.

I watched someone pass with stomach cancer...
a close relative, a few years ago
kro
honestly if you were to have it
I bet you would change your mind

make sure you leave your dependants provided for

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

well that study you mention appears to agree with common opinion...
diabetes is rampant these days to and heart diease too...

like there is the big three of medicinal robbery...
they say "you can't take it with you..."
so leave it in the tin cup in Reception

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gremlin2011
damm why is all the good tasting stuff so bad for us...

commercials..

sorry mods

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Junk Food Ads Make Kids Crave for It

A study has found that junk food advertisements make kids crave for the unhealthy food, which makes them obese. The study highlights the urgent need of putting a ban over junk food advertisements so that obesity among kids could be controlled at an early stage.

The study was compiled by the American Academy of Pediatrics

newstonight.net...

here is part of the problem...
then there is the little thing called "natural flavors"
propritary chemicals....

if they put that stuff in cardboard....
oh wait....frozen pizza

edit on 5-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I think nitrates are mainly derived from vegetables because....well....they just are. And, BTW, systematic reviews and meta-analyses are easily prone to analytical bias, especially if a certain result is expected. And the WCRF isn't known for having high standards for design in the studies included in their reviews, allowing for biased results.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Sorry to be cynical but I don't think avoiding the bacon is going to save us from cancer.

How do you avoid Fukushima fall-out? You can't.

Everything we eat now will potentially be hazardous.

So sadly the tainted bacon isn't really much worse than the tainted everything else.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join