It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil isn't the problem: at least not a lack of supply: Alt titles: Why oh Why oh Why Not MAKE OIL

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
PLEASE, for the love of God will someone just read some of the information that has been presented.

I realize that you are all so F**king brilliant that there couldn't possibly anything which you don't already have complete understanding of, but just this once, simply to humor me and the person who started this thread, just try reading the information here AND put it in context with what we are saying!!!!!

Don't come back with the same unsupported and ignorant excuses why such technology won't work either. Cause it does. Nobody is trying to imply that the process of recycled WASTE is the answer to our Energy Crisis or that we can get back more energy, or even equal energy from the original product.

This isn't talking about ethanol or any other bio fuel where we actually grow crops just to convert them into oil. This is about taking WASTE....WASTE.....WASTE.....and converting/processing/refining it into additional fuel.

It's real, it works and is currently being used successfully in various parts of the globe.

This does not mean that renewable energy is not needed or that renewable energy is not a more balanced and long lasting method. However, until renewable energy provides a greater degree of power production compared to oil, we are still going to use oil. So why not look into ways of using and/or producing oil to meet our demands that take advantage of our WASTE!!!! WASTE, being the key word here since our WASTE is already here from what we are doing already and is building up in profound amounts and can actually be used for something!!! Plus it has the added effect of cleaning up our damn mess instead of just letting it all stink up the place.

Hope this didn't come off too much like a Rant but I've about had it with the lack of actual thinking going on around ATS lately. ATS actually had some profound research being presented and respectable debates not all that long ago by members who could actually discuss something without such arrogant and outright dismissal of new information!!! I miss those days!

That's it, I'm out!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
We are better off burning all the oil we have till it is all gone.

If we recycle garbage to oil we will be burning oil faster as we consume it from both ends.

All this does is burn our resources faster, it is the exact opposite of a solution.

We have read the stuff and it still is the same, we are better off not doing it because it will brun the oil from both ends twice as fast.

You want your cake and want to eat it too.

You are talking about recycling a non-renewable resource, so we waste all this time and money and at the end we have no oil say 50yrs sooner and twice as much useless infrastucrture to rot away.

Im sorry but it has been abandoned for the simple fact it is a snake eating itself, you think it will get us a feww years. No it will take years off the back end. We get great amounts now but it runs out twice as fast. It is not renewable, the oil in the groound will be gone, the hydrocarbon laced garbage will disapear then what?

Instead of fixing the problem you want us to put on another bandaid and pass it onto the next generation.

Oil is the problem and it is a waste to find new ways to get oil instead of finding a complete alternative.

Waste all our time and money wringing the last drop from the earth, then what?

You gonna pull energy out your butt for us to research with and make the next fuel source as we all die?

If we throw our money in a burn pile we are warm now but the fire goes out, then what? We got no money or energy to build a house, buy food, let alone find this new energy source that you think we will magicly find when the oil is all gone.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Good thread, good responces.

Can I add this though: There are lots of videos all over the web which show how plaxtic can be turned back into useable oil. This solves so many problems. Polution. Plastic polutes our world like no other substance. It is horrible. Getting rid of it like this by effectively turning it back in to oil is a great idea.

www.youtube.com...

A byproduct of getting rid of all this polution is an oil which can be used to run all sorts of things. Thus turning a profit from the recycling of the plastic.

www.youtube.com...

We all know that energy is lost. We all know that the energy out is less than the energy you put in. This is immiterial. Making profit out of cleaning up polution seems to be a pretty good reason for doing this.

It is also possible that as this process is refined, and as the price of natural oil increases, this would eventually become a viable fuel source in its own right.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

I agree with cleaning up plastics and moving towards non polution.

And I do mean cleaning up plastics, remove them treat them as radioactive material.

The idea of recycling plastic to oil just seems bad on bad to me.

Plastic is pollution, oil is pollution, so turning pollution into more pollution to polute more to recycle it into more polltution to on and on and on.

Give me a technology that will convert plastic to a non polluting material in any way that is cheaper than the material it will replace, and I will support it untill there are no more plastics and we can move back to whatever material it replaced.

But the key is non polluting. And turning it into oil to polute seems the oppisite of cleaning the earth of polutants.

All available money and oil now should go into finding a new alternative to oil, creating a new alternative to oil, or finding a lifestyle that does not require the burning of fossil fuels to survive as a prospering society.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GisfridMaillor

Yes, you are right. The ideal would be to get rid of plastic whilst producing as little polution as possible. I expect the key to this connundrum would be some real scientific studdy, (All beyone the likes of you and I) which shows where the best cause of action lies. Perhaps the polution caused by burning the oil produced is over all less of a problem than the choking effects of all that plastic on our environment? I don't know.

I do know, however, that these technolgies offer us an exciting opportunity for further research, and should not be dismissed out of hand untill the studdies have been completed.

I immagine a recycling plant powered entirely by renewable fuel (Sun, solar etc) which produces oil from plastic. This migh, at the very least, buy us a little extra time before we run out of oil. Time to perfect other technologies of which you talk.

There is also 1 more argument. This plastic represents oil which has already been pumped. By using this oil a seccond time we are gaining additional value from the original financial outlay.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GisfridMaillor
We are better off burning all the oil we have till it is all gone.

Yeah, that makes sense?!?!?!

If we recycle garbage to oil we will be burning oil faster as we consume it from both ends.

That is a completely B.S. statement and is exactly the opposite of what is happening with this process. Which of course you would know, had you bothered to read anything that has been posted already.

All this does is burn our resources faster, it is the exact opposite of a solution.

Yet another completely B.S. statement. But go ahead and try to explain it if that's what you really think.

We have read the stuff and it still is the same, we are better off not doing it because it will brun the oil from both ends twice as fast.

Based on the responses you've given and keep giving, I would in fact say you haven't read anything about this topic since everything you're saying is contradictory to all the data that's been presented.

You want your cake and want to eat it too.

Is that right???

You are talking about recycling a non-renewable resource, so we waste all this time and money and at the end we have no oil say 50yrs sooner and twice as much useless infrastucrture to rot away.

Actually, this is a renewable source. You see, we continue to create waste of all kinds as does nature. But then, you'd already know that if you weren't so busy promoting your own ignorance of this topic.

Im sorry but it has been abandoned for the simple fact it is a snake eating itself, you think it will get us a feww years. No it will take years off the back end. We get great amounts now but it runs out twice as fast. It is not renewable, the oil in the groound will be gone, the hydrocarbon laced garbage will disapear then what?

It's been abandoned has it??? Why don't you back that up with some actual evidence???

Instead of fixing the problem you want us to put on another bandaid and pass it onto the next generation.

Really??? Explain the logic behind that one would ya???

Oil is the problem and it is a waste to find new ways to get oil instead of finding a complete alternative.

Nobody said not to find other alternatives. In fact, just the opposite has been said multiple times. Try reading some of what has been said instead of just responding with your usual nonsense and you might realize that.

Waste all our time and money wringing the last drop from the earth, then what?

Actually, it's not a waste of time or money. Unless making more efficient use of our resources is a waste of our time and money. Is that what you're saying???

You gonna pull energy out your butt for us to research with and make the next fuel source as we all die?

Yep, that's exactly what I've been saying. So glad you took time to read the information being presented here.

If we throw our money in a burn pile we are warm now but the fire goes out, then what? We got no money or energy to build a house, buy food, let alone find this new energy source that you think we will magicly find when the oil is all gone.

Oh, so it's me now who is suggesting we "magically" find some new energy source is it???

You know, it's obvious you have no clue about what you're even talking about nor do you take the time to even try, so why continue in spreading your lies and B.S. about a subject others might actually be interested in??? Be proud of your ignorance all you want but don't spread it to others who actually give a $hit about what's going on in our world.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

When I first read this article in 2003 I was floored. Oil had just become a renewable resource. The U.S. could stop filling up its landfills. The U.S. could accept trash shipped by barge from small European countries that are out of landfill space. We could charge them to take their waste. Then we could sell them back oil. Sweet Texas Crude! It was truly life changing technology. And then it seems to have disappeared into the void.

You make some fairly decent points... and I am not trying to argue what you said, but we should be well beyond the mechanical, internal combustion engine by now.

All you have to do is to look around and do like a transparent overlay between history and today to see the mess.

We should be driving electric vehicles with no emissions... or at least, far less. We should have evolved away from oil the same way we evolved away from steam engines and coal and sails and horses and wagon wheels and gas lights and silent movies and black & white TV and the Cathode Ray Tube and... and...

It goes on and on and on but, here we are, stuck in the Vaseline jar over a century after petroleum broke out into the mainstream.

And you have to ask how we did evolve from the biplane to the jet plane... from the wooden sailing ships to the nuclear powered frigates, from the curious eye looking at the stars to a space station in orbit... from the community newspaper to the internet but still... we drive old nasty gas engines that are by their very nature made up to break down.

We can't answer because it makes no sense... until we ask ourselves exactly who would profit from making the forever piston engine, forever.

Money is the grease of human civilization and with enough of it, you can take giant leaps into the future or remain stalemated in a century passed.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GisfridMaillor
It will take to much oil to produce, you will never get out more than you are putting in.

Think of all the fuel, lubricating oil's, and tires alone that will be used on every vehicle to move just a load of garbage.

If it is from over seas you have vehicles to bring the trash from the dump to the boat the vehicles transfring the garbage to the boat the boat travelling across the ocean under load the vehicles to offload the garbage the vehicles to transport to the facility the vehicles to offlload to the facilty then the huge amounts of energy to transmute garbage to oil.

All of these vehicles take tons of oil.

The tons of oil to make the facility, the tons of oil everyone will burn going to work there and anywhere invovled in the process.

Way to much energy is invested with too little return imho.

I do not know what the solution is, but when you burn energy to make less energy it is pointless.

That is why you power the process with something other than oil..................DUHHHH!!!

i mean c'mon.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GisfridMaillor

Yeah, I agree, we need to move away from oil, there are alternatives that we are being denied for the sake of big business. However, there could be a use for re-using by products of agriculture, because we need agriculture to survive, there will always be waste from it, therefore it would be an endless supply, right? Nobody is being mean here either. In fact i'm not really married to the idea, I just thought it was an interesting idea that could help.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
There is only one way our energy future can go, and that is a massive reduction in energy usage.

All the evidence, which the oil industry diligently works to hide since 2008, indicates that light sweet crude production peaked in 2008. While barrels of crude produced has been somewhat maintained, they are much lower quantity, and produce far less gas, which is the big selling product we depend on. We are about to see large declines in oil production in the very near future, possibly as early as next year. All those revolutions going on in oil producing countries is due to declines in production, and so rising poverty.

Our economy runs on planned obsolescence, that is what will have to end, which means a massive change in the worlds economy, far greater increase in local production, and a melt down in global markets, because they will no longer be needed, as the end of big oil will begin the end of big ICs control of society.

Our biggest replacement will be sugar ethanol, and hemp bio-diesel, with wind produced power, and a large assortment of other alternative energy sources. People will live in smaller homes, travel a great deal less, and the big urban complexes will turn into ghost towns. Look for a revival of the cottage industry, and the end of factory farming.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

plastic the bane of our society,produced and dumped world wide by the mega ton daily and what is really being done to clean up this product of great distaste.
up here in the great white north we have a university known locally as Waterloo Lutheran university.a couple of years ago a student came up with a solution to dissolve this nasty garbage with household chemicals and none of them were toxic it takes about 3 to 4 months to get rid of it so where has this information disappeared to .

<< 1   >>

join