It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NASCAR fans should thank the Progressive movement.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think that it is safe to say that the vast majority of NASCAR fans are from the south and mid-west, and that they tend to be Republican or Conservative. I myself don't really care one way or the other for NASCAR, but it does pass the time after football season. I'm one of those guys that watches it hoping for a massive 20 car pile up. It has been my experience that NASCAR fans are thought of as mostly uneducated and inferior to academic or more intellectual people. I personally don't think of them that way, especially since a lot of my friends are NASCAR fans.

Progressivism has brought us many dreadful and terrible programs and policies over the last century, at least in my opinion, but there is one that I feel is usually overlooked in the current political discourse that goes on throughout our country today, and that is Prohibition. Prohibition, or the 18th amendment, was passed by the US Senate in 1917 and ratified by 3/4 of the states in 1919 until it was repealed in 1933. During this time there was a practice known as bootlegging that occurred predominately in the south. In case you don't know, bootlegging was the act of transporting illegal alcohol from one place to another, and in order to do this a bootlegger needed a car that was faster and superior to the police cars of the time. This is where NASCAR was born. These bootleggers would race each other for fun and eventually those races became a more formal affair and then after prohibition ended they kept on racing.

So the next time you hear some redneck NASCAR fan droning on about progressives and liberals, make sure that you remind them that if it wasn't for the early 20th century Progressives like Woodrow Wilson, that their beloved sport most likely would not exist... and then be prepared to get punched in the eye, but hey... the truth hurts.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I found this in a quick search of Youtube.

Its really telling that one of the only good things to come from progressiveism came as a result of people trying to circumvent their stupid laws.

Opposition to progressives creates great things.

edit on 7/5/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

My rule of thumb is to do the exact opposite of whatever the Progressives want to do.

join