It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All you Californian public employees please justify your pay & benifits.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

FYI State, County and City workers have been getting laid off on a regular basis.

As the financial crisis continues, the only thing there is left to cut is employees.

Regardless of the business you're in , layoffs are a reality.

The cuts started quite a few years ago. First to go were travel and continuing education funds. That bought us about 6 months. Then the consolidations started and people were laid off. When someone retires, usually that position is not filled and you are supposed to just take up the slack.

Then came furloughs. That translated for me to about a 10% reduction in my time and pay. So I combined that with my vacation time and built a cabin. (I do have skills other than those I use working for a public entity.)

Every six months or so, more layoffs. People are busier than ever and we're going to get another budget cut.

So far, we've been able to give the appearance that everything is still working and good but the reality is that there are not things that need to be done that are getting postponed. How many things can you put off before something bad happens?

Government workers are an easy target to criticize but the root of the problem is the society that thinks all these things should be done for them and that they shouldn't have to pay for those things.

Best of luck to you all.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
blaming each other for the new economy is silly. Politicians of all stripes have raped our coffers. But the reality is, the money is concentrated in fewer hands than in our recent past. They want us to fight over the crumbs, instead of coming after them!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
"Why should you be paid a penny more than the equivalent position in the armed forces? "

The military will take just about anyone.. in Calif it takes about 100 applicants, many former military, to hire 3 cops.

Joining the Marines was easy.. took the ASVAB which was simple, a few physicals.. couldn't quit, almost impossible to get fired.

The PD was a different story. Had to apply, if accepted.. passed a written test consisting of logic, IQ, "flags".. Passed an oral interview, then 3 phases of physical tests.. obstacle course, dummy drag, timed 1.5 mile run along with an intensive physical evaluation.

After all that, which took 5 months, a background investigation that took 4 months. Passed all that, then took the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory), followed by a psychological interview / evaluation.

Passing all these tests got my name on an "eligible for hire" list where I was ranked against others who made it that far. There were 3 openings and 10 eligible.. a chiefs interview decided who could attend an 18 week academy... we started with 138, graduated 71.

After the academy, on to field training for 6 months of being messed with, over worked and stressed out .. 15 hour days were common. Of 4 "trainees" in my cycle, 2 washed out.

Then I was on probation for 18 months, during which the dept could fire me at any time. Once off probation I was awarded a POST (Police Officer Standards and Training) certificate which afforded me AB301 rights where I could challenge any punitive action via various hearings... that's why I made $38 per hour plus benefits.
edit on 14-7-2011 by GovtFlu because: spelling

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by ..5..
Why should you be paid a penny more than the equivalent position in the armed forces?

When my employer starts to pay for my housing and my meals, we'll talk. Until then........

The state would still come out ahead by tens of thousands if you are living in the housing and rations that the armed forces would decree that someone of your rate has merited.

edit on 20-9-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join