It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Issue Wins Your Vote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I was just listening to my local talk radio show and they had on one of the Fox Political Analysts (Dick Morriss). He or she (couldn't tell, voice sounded like both
explained why they are voting for Bush and not Kerry. They explained that Kerry was good on the economy, environment, education, and Bush was good on terrorism. They later explained that terrorism was the only issue that mattered for them (which I personally think is a bunch of BS).

Anyways, my reason for posting this is I would like to know if terrorism is the only reason why you are voting or, if you are voting just because the economy is bad, etc. Basically the main point I'm trying to say is why are you voting based on only one issue?? Shouldn't all issues be looked at, and the candidates' positions' on them?

[edit on 11-8-2004 by TheCatalyst]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm not voting for Bush because he focuses only on terrorism and very little on our economy and the enviroment. Kerry though he seems to focus more on the economy and that's what's most important to me right now. Even though Kerry keep changing his mind on certain issues I'm still going to vote for him. I do not like Bush. I have job and I'm worried about losing it if it gets out of hand and I don't trust Bush will bring our economy back to the way it was regardless of terrorism.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The Second Amendment is the one issue that really matters to me right now.
Beyond the petty political squabbles that go on between now and November nothing matters more to me than keeping the power in the hands of the American people.
Some politicians understand this. Others never will. I'm just waiting for a Badnarik with more charisma than a brick wall to emerge

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Above all else, honesty. You can tell, in their eyes. David Duke was honest, straight forward. Bucanan was honest... Bush, he's a double talker. Kelly... he looks as if he's hiding something.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
As a canadian what goes on south of the border seems to be an issue. The one issue that would matter to me would be:

Handling of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan
  • Simple to say that it's anyone but Bush. Therefore a vote for Kerry to oust Bush.

• posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:13 AM
    link   
    Hmm id say any candidate that will toughen immigration and border control
    and de-criminalize cannibis would get my vote reguardless of party or rest of platform they presented.

Other concerns would be national defense/terrorism
    social security
    medical costs

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:14 PM
    link   
    i'm from the UK so issues that would effect my vote would have to be:
    Crime
    Immigration
    Europe (nasty EU
    )

(in no order)

oh and i can't vote yet :bnghd: but that what i'd vote on if i could

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:25 PM
    link   
    Im from the UK too, my issuses are;

- Education
    - Health
    - Crime
    - Immigration

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:28 PM
    link   
    Well I'd like to know why it has to be one issue?
    I have many issues that I look for when figuring out who to vote for for president. Mainly i just look at who I agree with more on all of the issues.

In this election the Issues I think that matter most would probably be:

World Oppinion
    Education
    Economy
    War On Terror
    War In Iraq
    Healthcare For Every American
    American Job Loss

I really think that all of them are needed issues, and I want a president that's good on all of them not just one.

May Peace Travel With You
    ~Astral

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:29 PM
    link   
    Alright this little bit is going to be harsh however, it must be said.

Honestly, how many people have been affected by terrorism? Come on...raise your hand. And I'm not talking about those who grieved with rest of the country on 9-11. Victims and their friends and families count. At best, say each victim had one hundred friends and family who were hurt to their core...that makes up about .1% of this population directly affected by terrorism. Sure, it has the potential to cause more harm. But terrorism is nothing that can be solved/defeated ever. We just have to hope that we can stop them in time. It should not be the only platform a candidate should run on. Right now, that's all I hear from the Bush camp other than "Kerry wants to take your money" or "I'm a wartime president" or, my favorite, "We need to have a Constitutional ban to keep the homosexuals from marrying each other."

Now, how many people do not receive proper education? How many people do not receive adequate health care? How many people have died from Aids and cancer in the past four years alone? What is the net loss of jobs in the past four years? (Even though it is rallying forward, it is still moving at a snail's pace...See: Every month's job growth predictions have come up seriously short) How badly has our dollar devalued since Bush took over. How many people are killed by preventable gun accidents, due to improper education or ignorance? (I'm not advocating any type of modern gun control. Just wish people would be smarter about gun ownership.) How many people have died from overdoses of smack, crack, coke, or alcohol. How many people are going to be affected when Social Security goes bankrupt or the age limit gets extended? I gaurantee(sp?) that more people are directly affected in these social issues than terrorism. I'm not trying to throw away the terrorism issue, but I'm just pointing out that many more people are hurt by the issues that don't get enough attention.

Here are some good questions to ask yourself when you are in that voting booth. How much money IS defense and rebuilding efforts getting? How much funding is the other issues receiving?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 04:25 AM
    link   
    Just for the record, i was living in Florida at the time of 9-11, and on 9-12 me and about 250 other people emoployed at one of the top 5 resorts in N America all lost their jobs, as did many people thruought florida, by the thousands....and we were about as far south away from NYC as you can get. What about all the airline jobs lost? the rental car places that dried up?(cause no planes flew), the 50% of fine dinning that is done by US business that stopped for many months after the strike? Hell, hawaii was practically cut off from the world again, and suffered severe drop in state revenues as tourism stopped for months. How about everyone invested in the stock market that lost $$$ because of 9-11 effectsa on the market?
    It took me over 7 months as a college educated, technical skilled person to find a comporable job.

the effects of 9-11 were wide spread anf far reaching, not just physical/emotional trauma. I recall the president saying once shortlyafter the attack that the country could not withstand another blow economically like we did that day. I think the feds fear the economy collapsing more than they do losing more people if teror strikes again.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:14 AM
    link   
    For starters, I'm neither Democratic or Republican...I will vote for whom ever I feel it the lesser of two evils, which is the way it always is in politics! While I consider all aspects concerning the issues....animals welfare and ecology play a big part in my decision

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 07:45 PM
    link   
    Hmmm, my issues? The fact that I can't get a job, even at fast food places that hier anyone who can flip a burger. The fact that if I were to go to college it would cost more now than it did 4 years ago. Also, the issue of abortion, stem cell, womans right not to be the slaves of men. And for those who wonder about that, a major court judge appointed by Bush believes and teaches that women are less then men, are under men, and can't get pregnant unless they want to, meaning rape victims are lieing whores, not victims according to him.

Go Kerry, at least I know his shoe size, unlike Bush who has everything he has done in the past locked away. Also, Kerry doesn't tell the news channels that if they give air time to any 3rd parties that they would be punished, like Bush has.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:50 PM
    link   
    Issues that really grab my balls are social/Tax/Foreign/environment

And Badnarik is the dude who really grabs em... And I like it.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 03:23 PM
    link   
    The issue that wins my vote? National security, hands down. Without that you've got nothing...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 03:54 PM
    link   
    my issues are jobs/economy, a womans right to choose, throwing out that ban on gay marriage amendment, stem cell research, education, separating church from government, healthcare, national security (and going to wars that help it not hurt it), and uniting the country where bush has divided to name a few.

top topics

join