It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Darshan of Amma "The Hugging Saint"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Darshan means "vision".

Mātā Amṛtānandamayī Devī has hugged 25 million people, at times sitting for more than 20 hours to share her darshan with up to 50,000 people in a day.

[color=gold]"My religion is love and service."

Amma.org

One doesn't need to be a saint. Hugging and loving just one person, even a stranger, doesn't seem hard in the face of such compassion.

I don’t say I can do it 100 per cent. Attempting to change the world [completely] is like-- pattiyude vaalu kuzhalilittal nuvarumo [can you straighten the curved tail of a dog]?

But society takes birth from people. So by affecting individuals you can make changes in the society and, through it, in the world. You cannot change it, but you can make changes. The fight in individual minds is responsible for the wars. So if you can touch people, you can touch the world.

Source

edit on 5/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: fixes

edit on 5/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: fixes 2

edit on 5/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: additions

edit on 5/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: additions 2

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Like other Indian gurus, if you go to channels not controlled by her powerful political friends, you can see it's not so peachy.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thank you for introducing me to this woman. At first I was very skeptical... "here we go with 'Free Hugs' silliness." However, after reading some quotes attributed to her, I believe she has truly reached enlightenment, and her work of spreading Love is wonderful! We need more people like her. If I ever hear of her coming anywhere near my town, I'm going to give her a hug

Peace to us all.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Like this one? Indian Rationalist Association Or this one? Indian Sceptic. Neither actually mention Sudhamani Idamannel - Mātā Amṛtānandamayī Devī - Amma, nor any other skeptic site I found. Here is a blurb under Criticism from Wikipedia:

Sreeni Pattathanam, the Kerala-based head of the Indian Rationalist Association, wrote Matha Amritanandamayi: Sacred Stories and Realities,[44] a controversial critique first published in 1985. He claims that all the miracles of Sudhamani are bogus, and that there have been many suspicious deaths in and around her ashram, which need police investigation. The research work contains elaborate references to court records, newspaper reports and quotations from well-known literary figures, including statements from devotees and residents of the Math close relatives and an interview with Amritanandamayi herself. Amritanandamayi was less well known than now, when the Math demanded prosecution of the author and in 2004 persuaded the government to act. The State government sanctioned prosecution of Pattathanam, the owner of the publishing company, and the printer of the book. The order followed directions from the Kerala High Court to the State's Home Department for considering an application by a devotee and resident of the Mata Amritanandamayi Ashram, T.K. Ajan, to criminally prosecute the three,[45] based on criticisms found in the book. The order ultimately received international attention, and was rescinded after criticism by Humanists, Rationalists, writers, and the Communist Party.

Source

Perhaps you can provide another link demonstrating your point of view.

That being said, do you deny what I posted originally? Or do you believe that footage to be faked. That and the footage of her feeding thousands as seen in the film Darshan. I still hold that this is a woman demonstrating amazing compassion and humanity and, yes, healing. The power of human touch in assisting healing might be something else you find issue with though.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Oh please. Like Sai Baba she will be exposed some day. It's just imprudent now to crticize her because she has good PR and political friends in the RSS.

top topics

join