It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant dandelion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Got alerted to this in my garden the other day, and wanted to share it on here coz it's pretty impressive. I've never actually seen owt like this before anywhere in England (mind you, I haven't been looking), and I'm not entirely sure what it is.The stalk and leaves look more like corn than the weed, but the heads are definitely dandelion. I'm waiting for the flowers to come out to post more pics, but I'll add the ones I've got already. It's 4ft 5 high by the tape measure, but that's around 2 inches out because it got burnt and somehow stretched so it could be up to about 4 foot 7. I'm 5 foot 2 and it's up to my bottom lip. I have googled it, but none of the flowers have the same stem. :S

I know it's just a weed, but it's amazingly pretty.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Here we go:

Seeded:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e0071bd6918.png[/atsimg]

Entire plant:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba40e848db11.png[/atsimg]

Bud:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c073d17a8f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Stem:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/088e067dcd8e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
haha i seen one of these in my front garden the other day and showed my mum it i had the same reaction you probably did "holy # look at the size of that dandelion" but i like you was wrong its a whole different species of plant i cant remember what it is called now. ill find out later and post back.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The stem, leaves and flower bud don't look like a dandelion at all. The seed head is similar though.

www.seedambassadors.org...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What you have is Tragopogon, salsify or commonly known as oyster plant...salsify...a biennial plant which can have yellow or purple flowers depending on the species. The root is edible and has been cultivated for its oyster flavor (ugh!)

I always allow a few of these to continue in the garden because I love those big poofy seed heads!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Could it be western Salsify? It is native to Europe.

Tragopogon dubius- Wiki

The seed head in my link is a dead ringer for your photo, scroll down to see it on the right side.
edit on 5-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

Ahhh, you beat me to it.

My grandmother loved salsify.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

thats a pretty cool weed.And don't feel to bad i thought it looked like a dandelion too

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
We have this throughout Canada and here we call it "milkweed". It grows wild in fields and it is the "plant of choice" for the monarch butterflies who lay their eggs in and around these plants because it seems to be a great source of food for the caterpillars. I knew what this was going to be as soon as I read the title - folks who have never seen milkweed before always seem to assume that they are related to dandelions because of their appearance.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It looks like a dandelion because it is fairly closely related to them, both are in the Asteraceae family and the Cichorieae tribe. They use the same mechanism to disperse their seeds...wind. They are also closely related to the beautiful sky-blue flowered chicory.

And here is why Linnaeus created the taxonomical method of classifying plants. What one region calls 'milkweed' is another person's Asclepias, which is not related to salsify at all. It gets a bit important when one is edible and one is not.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by czygyny
What you have is Tragopogon, salsify or commonly known as oyster plant...salsify...a biennial plant which can have yellow or purple flowers depending on the species. The root is edible and has been cultivated for its oyster flavor (ugh!)

I always allow a few of these to continue in the garden because I love those big poofy seed heads!

I was going to chime in with this but you beat me to it. Good eye!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for the input everyone

Yeah, the flowers are yellow and in a classic dandelion sort of bud shape. I'll add a pic when one flowers.

I wonder where it came from
. One of the seeds must've blown by in the wind and took root, I've never seen one round here before!

It's pretty amazing to look at!

new topics

top topics

join