It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple minor natural disasters in the area recently

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
With the seemingly rise in natural disasters lately I thought I would share a few smaller occurances that have happened in my area. Thankfully no deaths have occurred.

On June 30th a mudslide said to be nine metres deep and 80 metres long closed 1 of 3 main routes into the interior of British Columbia (Canada) for almost 24 hours.

A woman cheated death Wednesday afternoon when her car was slammed by a massive mudslide and rolled on the Trans-Canada Highway between Chilliwack and Hope. The local woman suffered only minor harm, even though her car rolled twice, said Lynn Orstad, emergency program manager for the Fraser Valley Regional District.

Read More

And just a few hours ago the high flow and level of the Fraser River, which is the large river running through BC and Vancouver eroded away the base of a high voltage transmission line causing a chain reaction taking down other towers. Massive power outages are the result and the closure of the same freeway which was effected by the aforementioned mudslide.

The fear of more towers/wires falling has caused authorities to evacuate some areas near by.

The massive high-voltage tower was located on the river bank west of the Port Mann Bridge, near King and McBride, and went into the water at around 8:30 p.m. “The tower pulled down another tower inland on the other side of the CN railyards,” said B.C. Hydro VP of field operations David Lebeter. The collapse also broke a couple wooden poles up the hill, he said.

Read More

Looks like something needs to be added to the maintenance check list.

edit on 5-7-2011 by Frank Dinkle because: grammer

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Cool stuff, I saw the mudslide on the news a day or so ago.

I like to mention this when I see stuff that supports it....

Our perception of how slowly geological events alter our planet is completely relative to written history. Many areas on earth that are thought to have taken thousands of years could very well have taken place over night. How long do you think most scientist would have said it took that dirt to build up on top of the underlying soil had they not seen that it occurred very quickly, probably a few hundred years based on the fact that its 9 meters high, but it actually took only minutes.

Another example.....

In the town I live in, at the mall, the parking lot is in a flood plain. Whenever it rains heavily mud covers the parking lot. It takes only a couple of hours to cover a large portion of the lot. What's crazy is that it doesn't just bury the lot in dirt to the point that it can't be seen in many places, it buried the lot in upwards of two inches of mud. TWO INCHES is quite a large amount of soil to be deposited by a small creek it just a couple of hours.

join