It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive - US hip-hop industry reacts to Chris Lilley's 'Angry Boys'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Chris Lilley’s new television show Angry Boys has been greeted with a degree of ambivalence by Australian viewers. Coming in for a particular amount of flak, is Lilley’s character S.mouse, a Los Angeles-based rapper based somewhere between Soulja Boy and Lil’ Bow Wow. Whether S.mouse is funny has been a topic of discussion on numerous internet forums, but some critics have gone further, voicing their concern that the character is little more than a simplified blackface parody of US hip-hop culture.

Is S.mouse racist? And does the character have anything worthwhile to say about American hip-hop culture

Source

I personally don't think it is racist as Chris Lilley has played other characters such as women, pacific islanders, chinese, japanese, aboriginal. I've also heard HBO are picking this up but was wondering what people over in the US would think of this show? Would they be able to see the comedy?

There are also comments made by rappers and mc from different states.

Kool A.D., MC – Das Racist (New York City)
This is dumb. I had to turn it off a couple minutes in. His accent is bad, which makes the blackface worse. The only time I've seen blackface used in a way that actually made me "think more critically about race"

edit on 5-7-2011 by nahsik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Chris is prolly australias most clever comedian, he makes me laugh hard, nothing is sacred, he is a comedian ......
the fact that the rapper TPTB actually are commenting and reviewing his work....which less face it is a pisstake......makes it even funnier.

silly geese

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Apparently I can't be entertained by the embedded video because I'm in America.

As you can expect, I've no opinion to give because so..

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Hip Hop isn't Black. Plus he is Australian mocking American culture. ofcourse you can call him racist. So what, to me Chris Lilley isn't even funny and is lucky to even have a thread about him.
edit on 5-7-2011 by MasterAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
haha no way he's hilarious.

Here's some more Lilley clips. Watch it and see how he transforms into each character!
tadpoll.org...

Genius.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
So this is the Australia version of Sacha Baron Cohen? Just a black spin?

That is the vibe I'm getting from this... How long has this guy been around down under?

-Lightrule
edit on 5-7-2011 by Lightrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

try watch summer heights high

and no he is waaay smarter that sascha

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew

Yeah, he doesn't stand up to all the crap comedians that come out of the USA I guess.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterAndrew
Chris Lilley isn't even funny and is lucky to even have a thread about him.
edit on 5-7-2011 by MasterAndrew because: (no reason given)

agreed - with one caveat.
I really enjoyed the first episode of Angry Boys. After that he seemed to run out of genuinely funny ideas.

top topics

join