It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireworks, Fires, Common Sense, and People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Before I start here's some background information: I have a ham radio that receives frequencies for my local fire, ems, and police and where I live, that's perfectly legal.

Yesterday being July 4th, lots of people shot fireworks, and lots of people enjoyed these explosives safely without any problems. Then there are the people who didn't enjoy them safely. I heard a total of around 12-15 calls for service from the police because people got tired of hearing loud fireworks down the street. That's understandable after 12:00AM and with July 4th being over.

Then there are the calls for service from the fire department. There were about 10 calls for service from our wonderfully helpful, albeit small volunteer fire service. There were several calls for field fires, and several calls for structures damaged by fire. AND THEN a call came in because someone set their yard on fire with bottle rockets, not once, not twice, but three times.

Please explain how someone can set their yard on fire after a deluge of rain from a summer thunderstorm, THREE TIMES. I mean seriously!? If someone can't shoot fireworks without setting their yard on fire there's a problem and they should consider waiting until it's less dry than a stage 2 drought. But if someone sets their yard on fire three times they need to consider just quitting all the shenanigans and going inside or something.

I guess this is worth saying, if you're going to shoot fireworks how about do it safely, wait until you're area isn't suffering a drought, and if you manage to set your yard on fire call it quits.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The 4th of july, 2011.. Made broccli and cheese soup, and carne guisada tacos...whoopty doo. Total fireworks ban. No sparklers, nada. Let freedom ring? Hard time explaining the 4th to my 6 yo. (my issue, lol)

So when the neighbors lit some up, in the middle of the street, I turned the porch light off and took son outside. Let freedom ring baby boy, let freedom ring.. Forget they could be arrested, just let it ring my boy.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

I'm glad that went well and no fires or jail were part of the evening! I don't see a problem with what happened on your street since nothing bad came of it. The entire idea of the US Independence day was based on not conforming to to the excesses of the British government, it's all about practicing responsibility and common sense! Not starting three yard fires in an hours time... Ha! Happy 4/5th!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If you are not ready, you can quickly be in trouble.
These people, was on the lucky side.

www.break.com...
edit on 5-7-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Total ban here too... I despise the people who set off fireworks during the ban, yet I also despise the ban itself. It's always the idiots who think the rules don't apply to them that end up starting the fires and yet I think the idiots who created this ban should be fired.

Ah well...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Lesson #1 - Don't use the battery boxes to launch fireworks, they always fall over and half the time aim at the crowd.

Lesson #2 - Don't shoot them when there are flammable grasses!

I've actually seen/been there when a live version of that video occurred. Not fun at all, we used our coats instead of simply stomping it out.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I understand the ban. Most definatley! Im usually the first to get peeved over it. But the neighbors were in no way being obsessive, and would pop a few, wait, pop a few more. Common sense. I was just happy my son could see an american tradition. Even if it was small. I respect the neighbors for the travel and respect they showed.

Lucky they were smart.
and nothing was out of control.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenthuin

Total ban here too... I despise the people who set off fireworks during the ban, yet I also despise the ban itself. It's always the idiots who think the rules don't apply to them that end up starting the fires and yet I think the idiots who created this ban should be fired.

Ah well...

Understand! Total lose lose situation! Ugh! But they were being so responsible! Like 1 or 2 at a time, with a few min breaks inbetween. I respected that

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Here it wasn't as dangerous as it usually is! You seem to almost have to dodge them on the way to and from the "real" fireworks show! They get a little carried away here in the South! I recall one year my brother in law decided to buy a ton of them and shoot them off at my father in law's place. I declined to watch ringside and instead chose a safe distance, unlike much of the family. One whole group of them misfired and scattered around in a more horizontal instead of vertical direction, and the family scattered along with them. No one was hurt, but I couldn't refrain from throwing in a few "I told you so's!" lol Anyway, I wouldn't outlaw them, it's our right to set off large explosive fiery things in this country, we might have to use them in battle someday! Haha!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Yeah I hear ya. Once it's past 10, calm down with the fire works. And you better respect the explosives your firing off, or else. On my way tonight, on the side of the highway, was a truck completely one fire. The police had shut down that side of the highway and let it burn as they waited for the firetrucks. I dunno if it had anything to do with fireworks, but it was the 4th and anything is possible

Maybe I'll come back tmrw and post the news story

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I heard a total of around 12-15 calls for service from the police because people got tired of hearing loud fireworks down the street. That's understandable after 12:00AM and with July 4th being over.

Look, I'm as patriotic as the next guy, and I enjoy shooting off big, loud fireworks too, but yeah, after 11pm (local noise ordinance) or 12am, is just plain ridiculous.

People have to go to work the next day folks. Yeah, when my neighborhood still sounds like Beirut at 12:30am, I'll get a bit cranky and call the cops.

So, I did, and the police operator tells me they are on more high priority calls, and nobody is available, yada yada yada. What? Ok, I get that there's a priority, but man, there are like 3 cops' homes within my vision from my yard. Luckily, tons were going off in the background (nice mortars, not the cheap crap). She then said yeah, that is a bit much...., I said yep, that's just what I'm dealing with.

I love shooting them off too, but I start at 9pm, and go for about an hour. Have fun, but be respectful of others, huh? (and watch out for the cheap crap...that's the stuff that starts fires). I keep 2 fire extinguishers handy just in case, and a bucket of water (and tongs), when I light them off.

Please explain how someone can set their yard on fire after a deluge of rain from a summer thunderstorm, THREE TIMES. I mean seriously!? If someone can't shoot fireworks without setting their yard on fire there's a problem and they should consider waiting until it's less dry than a stage 2 drought. But if someone sets their yard on fire three times they need to consider just quitting all the shenanigans and going inside or something.

If we've been in a drought up to the 4th, my area is very adamant about patrolling for fireworks use. If we're really dry, I simply won't shoot them off that year. (or, if borderline, you just make sure you've watered the yard prior to shooting them off). Of course, often stuff can end up in the neighbors' yards.... If you get quality fireworks though, they won't even be embers upon their return to Earth....for the most part.

edit on 5-7-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You'd be really cranky around here on the 5th, as the fireworks start early and don't stop until the early hours of the morning as the competing bonfire societies try to make the biggest, loudest and best explosions..

That's without the numpties who spend half the night throwing fireworks at each other which is one of those very non Health Safety traditions even the police hide from..

Local store owners board up their windows and the local government dig up the parking meters and hide the other bits of precious technology under metal jackets due to the local fetish for blowing things up...

The fetish is such that over 400 parking meters have been blown up in the last few years (the town only has 86 of them) while the one in the high street has been blown up 26 times..

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I don't think that fireworks belong in the hands of regular people. I hate fireworks! I used to enjoy them until I moved to my current location and my closest neighbors have decided for the last two years to waste a ton of money on them and also keep me and my dogs up all night on the 4th. I spend the whole night praying they don't set my woods on fire and hoping they blow some of their fingers off.

new topics

top topics

join