It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.5 west of Taupo Super Volcano!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Just to fill you all in!

6.5 Magnitude Earthquake, 150 km deep in Taupo, a dormant super Volcano.

Source: www.geonet.org.nz...

Breaking news here:www.stuff.co.nz...

There has been alot of quake activity in New Zealand and the Pacific ring of fire.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
ok im going to bed....

this thread better be huge tomorrow.

i want major destruction and conspiracies abound but please no loss of life

lets go mother nature - see yall in the morning
edit on 4-7-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
but none of the activity in the pacific rim of fire is connected to each other in anyway - yeah right

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by meatpie40

Why would they be?

You think they are setting off chain reactions or something? If that was the case the plates would never stop shaking it would just keep going round and round.

Not really in the mood to hand out geology lessons but i'm sure about 5 minutes of research will explain to you how they aren't connected.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Not such a small quake, then.
It's not on my USGS map yet.

From what I understand, a volcanic eruption is often preceeded by earthquakes?
So I don't see why the OP couldn't make a separate thread to discuss that possibility, without getting the snarky treatment.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
You cannnot say that it has no effect at all:

Researchers examining the San Andreas Fault in central California have found evidence that distant earthquakes can trigger episodes of accelerated (but still very slow) slip motion, deep on the fault.

This simply shows that it does have an effect. If the distant quakes trigger slow slips then there would no earthquakes at all.

Newton; To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction

source: www.usgs.gov...

edit on 4-7-2011 by Semoro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

With all the stupid stuff on this site i think each earthquake having a thread is not bad at all. If you don't like them don't read them.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

I'll make a prediction.. A possible awakening of the super volcano.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

MAG = 5.3

2011/07/05 03:36:25

-38.597 175.688 = map

161.3 = depth

NORTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND

see: earthquake.usgs.gov...

= the "6.5"...

seeya

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

Just like the USGS recorded the Christchurch earthquakes alot lower than recorded here. If it happened in the states i would not trust geonet to record the size or depth simply because USGS would have better data. Considering Taupo is in New Zealand, use the New Zealand data, primary resources over the secondary resources such as USGS. News has reported it as 6.5.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
New Zealand you say? So they aren't done yet? Let's keep an eye on that volcano. To those who say that one earthquake is unrelated to another, need I remind you that all of these earthquakes are occurring on the SAME TECHTONIC PLATE. Whatever happens on one end of the plate, there WILL be something on the other end, no matter how small and indetectable. Believe it or not, the whole techtonic plate system is very delicate. If there's too much jarring and activity on one end, the shockwaves could be enough to trigger an event further away. A 6.5 may not be cataclysmic, but it's strong enough that you should be worried about it breaking loose any plate edges that would trigger another quake. For reasons unexplained yet the Ring of Fire is more active this year than it has been in a few centuries. Let's not be too quick to dismiss this. Every event has the potential to either be disastrous, or to trigger a disastrous event.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Not to be rude, but perhaps you should explain (I know I could do with it).... Cause there are a few geologists out there that would disagree with you!!!
I posted this on the NZ Thread as well....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The article itself:

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by Semoro

MAG = 5.3

2011/07/05 03:36:25

-38.597 175.688 = map

161.3 = depth

NORTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND

see: earthquake.usgs.gov...

= the "6.5"...

seeya

FYI - Geonet still uses the "Richter" scale. The USGS does not anymore and quit several years ago. Hence, the discrepancy.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What does USGS use?

GNS volcanologist Brad Scott said although the earthquake was centred near Taupo it was more likely felt on the east coast of both islands.

Dr Scott said the quake was below the plate boundary, and the volcanic zone of the central North Island would have absorbed much of the energy.

Source:www.stuff.co.nz... (Updated)

All I was saying was that the magnitude was a 6.5, he opposed by using USGS which would be considered a secondary resource. Geonet being local would be a primary resource.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Semoro
What does USGS use?

GNS volcanologist Brad Scott said although the earthquake was centred near Taupo it was more likely felt on the east coast of both islands.

Dr Scott said the quake was below the plate boundary, and the volcanic zone of the central North Island would have absorbed much of the energy.

Source:www.stuff.co.nz... (Updated)

All I was saying was that the magnitude was a 6.5, he opposed by using USGS which would be considered a secondary resource. Geonet being local would be a primary resource.

Here you can find the answers to all your questions regarding the USGS and how they measure earthquakes. Along with the information on why the "Richter Scale" is not used anymore.

USGS FAQ - Measuring Earthquakes

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

I'm in NZ and NZ TV announced 6.5 Mag.

Taupo has two or three of these deep quakes per year.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Taupo is certainly prone to earthquakes, although this is most definitely a significant one. I felt my fair share whilst living there, but not quite as big as this one. The good thing is that the quake is relatively deep, especially compared to the damaging quakes in Christchurch. At 150km deep, the quake would have been felt more as a rolling quake, rather than a sharp jolt. And I wouldn't get too worried about the volcanoes just yet. This is from an article by the NZ Herald.

Geonet data centre spokeswoman Jennifer Coppola said the quake was the largest to strike near Taupo for a decade.

However, earthquakes in the area were common and this was not a sign of increased volcanic activity around Lake Taupo, she said.

"Volcanoes are not related to earthquakes. They have quite a different signal.
"I wouldn't say this is unusual. It's an active zone. Just the magnitude is the something out of the ordinary."
NZ Herald

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I have to ask something about the use of the term plate if I may ? As in pacific / Dosn't the use of the term suggest a connection. If a dinner plate had only ketchup in a small area, isn't the whole plate dirty. How can anything happen to a plate, that dosn't effect the whole plate. In other words if a dinner plate gets chipped you must
agree the whole plate is effected. No one would say, a part of the plate is chipped ? I don't really believe a
major event can happen to the pacific plate that dosn't effect the whole plate. Dosn't it make sense to you
that people think there is a connection ?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I thought I misread 'Taupo' for 'Toba'....

Then I realized Taupo is that huge lake around 200 kms away from my place!!

Hate to see it blow. Around Taupo, the place is unreal, very beautiful place!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join