It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im a theorist with as much relevance as any scientist! I present 'The Beards Theory'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Ok so I was looking at the 'Occam Razor' theory which goes like this "the razor is a principle that suggests we should tend towards simpler theories".

BAsically saying if your looking for an explanation look at the simplest answer because thats what it most likely is true.

For a long time ive had my own theory which is kind of along these lines I shall call it 'beards theory'.

This is that the majority of people are MORE LIKELY to believe the easiest answer, not that they SHOULD believe it but they are more likely to anyway.

For a basic example lets use 9/11. The bloke on the news says planes were hi-jacked and crashed into towers, the BEard Theory suggests the majoirty of people go 'ah ok that explains it all' and move on, which we know thats exactly what happens!! Now, If someone was to say, are you SURE thats exactly how it happened though? The Beard theory would say that this person would then laugh at you and say 'of course thats what happened, thats what the guy on the news said'. BUT, its not only about the guy on the news saying it, its also because its the easiest variation of events for one to believe, it makes sense. If you only look at the little picture its almost logical. Now how knows why this is, because they done care? Because they are scared? Or because they are easily lead/narrow minded? Or maybe just something they WANT to believe? So they stick to their beliefs like glue.

To me someone who doesnt subscribe to my Beards Theory is one who keeps an open mind to everything, who looks at each side of the argument and form an opinion based on that. so say if I said to someone 'I think 9/11 is more than they say'. The non beard theory subscriber would -instead of laugh it off like im crazy- ask me to go into more detail and keep an open mind to my side of the argument and look into it, maybe reforming their existing opinion.

I myself dont say 9/11 was DEFINATELY an inside job, its impossible to say. But having looked at evidence from both sides im convinced there is more to it than 'they' say. But thats a different debate altogether as we know.

Unfortunately, The Beards Theory will probably prove to be the downfall for many as they sleep walk their way into our new world.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
What really is the difference between 'Beards Theory' and Occam's Razor?

Aren't both insinuating that the simplest answer is correct? Except Beard's says that people choose the simplest because they should. Did I get that right?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

The problem with your hypothesis (learn the difference between "hypothesis" and "theory" please) is that it encourages infinitely complex arguments as being the "most correct."

The value of Occam's razor is that it is, more often than not, true. The simplest answer usually is the most likely one. From the angle you're going though, with your "beard" is the notion that the simplest answer is always too simple and thus one should look for more complex ones.

And then more complex than that... and then even more complex... Pretty soon the Word Trade Center was not taken down by asshats in airplanes, but by invisible space-Godzilla under the direct control of the ghost of j. Edgar Hoover in order to support the reincarnation of Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, and the airplanes were just hallucinations caused by elves beneath the street doing something with magnets and holograms, powered by the Aztec crystal skulls.
edit on 4/7/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yes your correct in that they are very similar, Occams Razor suggests people SHOULD lean towards the simplest solutions. The Beards theory suggests they do anyway, without persuasion, certainly for non personal issues anyway.

If you and a friend are alone in a building and hear a bang, Occams Razor theory suggests you conclude it was a draught slamming a door, The Beards theory suggests you would just think it was a draught slamming a door anyway. When of course it could just as easily have been a ghost.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You are correct. Most of the 'sheeple' will always choose the most understandable explanation, because it is one they can understand. People do not care to know more than what the media tells them. This is only a recent occurrence in the population though. The government dumbs down public education to the point where the sheeple don't question the government/media.

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
Unfortunately, The Beards Theory will probably prove to be the downfall for many as they sleep walk their way into our new world.

It already has been the downfall of our nation, and will continue to be - especially where politics are concerned. A lot of people didn't actually research presidential candidates, they just voted for Obama because he was popular.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Your kind of have a point I guess. There should always be a cut off point, but that should just be down to common sense? The Beard theory or hypothesis doesnt suggest there is ALWAYS a more complex answer, but instead encourages you to check for yourself and not to jump to a conclusion because its the easiest on offer.

Take another example, if you leave your life long best friend alone with your wife/husband while you go out for the night and come home discovering a used condom in the trash. Do you use Occams Razor or The Beards Theory?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think you could add
Multiple coincidences are probably not coincidence
If the theory can't make sense of all the evidence than it not right.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
I think you could add
Multiple coincidences are probably not coincidence
If the theory can't make sense of all the evidence than it not right.

Yes! That could even be its own theory or hypothesis.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Its a good theory; people will believe the simplest explanation given to them because then, they don't have to exert their brains and we can't expect people to be inconvenienced by having to think, after all; American Idol is coming on soon.

The only thing I don't get is what does all this have to do with beards?

I guess that part must've gone over my head.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Occam's razor is usually misinterpreted, although the difference may seem trivial to some. Occam's razor basically states that when 1 or more hypotheses are equally plausible, the correct one usually tends to be the one that makes the fewest assumptions.

So it means that we should tend to accept simpler theories, but only until better explanatory power can be substituted for simplicity.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

why do you call it the beards theory?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Because I dont have a beard.

new topics

top topics

join