It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell are we celebrating?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

That is defiantly one way to look at it. However at that point in time less than 10% of the population openly supported a revolution. So the Men who rose to lead had to make the decisions.

So how would you have done it differently?

I agree some flaws need to be fixed but it was the best Idea at the time.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
People are really comparing the Fourth of July to Mother's Day? This day is to celebrate the birth of a nation, "The Great Experiment"...
In a very short time (in the grand scope of human history), America has done some amazing things- and likewise some things that we should not be very proud of- we just need to figure out how to get back to the 'amazing" stuff

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
What are we celebrating?

Maybe not the freedom that we all would like, corruption in the government for sure. BUT on the optimistic side of things, I embraced this day with loved ones...knowing our country has come a long way with human rights. It isn't perfect..but it ain't that bad.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bibliomaniac

Ain't that bad.... well here in Mississippi this just passed with no reporting what so ever.

The State Will Track Your Child’s Usefulness From K-12 To Employment

That's just one new law here in MS ....

The tree needs watering.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

All it takes is for people not to show up for work, or support banks...when this happens and people start protesting we'll see change for the better..

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
"What the hell are we celebrating?" We are celebrating the opportunity to play with ILLEGAL fireworks in our neighborhood. People don't seem to care too much about history or independence or being locked down as long as they don't get caught having fun.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but I am not going to support every child's right to an education. Why? Because millions upon millions go to childhood education, when it is consistently abused. We should def. monitor schools a lot more closely. We are paying tons of taxes to have children go to school, only to sit in "suspension". Perhaps we should be evaluating parenting skills.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Education is the root cause of the problems we have today.

Children are taught the Official version of history. Government education is not education its mis-education.

I totally agree the parents need to get their act together but most have not awaken from their brainwashing.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN

Ain't that bad.... well here in Mississippi this just passed with no reporting what so ever.

The State Will Track Your Child’s Usefulness From K-12 To Employment

That's just one new law here in MS ....

The tree needs watering.

Yes, and not with the brains of innocent children.
This bill is an outrage, it's an Exact copy of the Old Soviet Educational system.where they will decide what your child's future should be, not you or your child.

"Sorry, little Billy, I know you wanted to be an airline pilot but your test scores and aptitude assessment have placed you as an agricultural technician. Congratulations! You'll be running a rototiller on a state farm! All your neighbors will love you for growing food for them. When everyone's well fed, the state is happy. You DO want to live in a happy state, don't you Billy?"

And Parents: we will save you both the expense and heartache of finding all the things that Billy was never really suited for. Dreams are for the selfish. You wouldn't want to cheat your neighbors, would you?
edit on 5-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I think you raise a good point and from an outside persective i see no reason to celebrate considering all the things going on over there.

I actually read something yesterday that i thought was worth sharing and while it is only comments from another person i think it makes alot of sense -

July 4th is a time to celebrate America and all that it represents. But what exactly are we rejoicing in? House members who tweet pictures of their boners? The piece of crap economy? Fat people who have to be carved out of their houses? Single moms? America is a mess right now. We should be treating July 4th like we do Earth Day, where everyone dedicates time to making a difference and helps to get this country back on track. But no - instead, you'll all go about your day spending way too much money on processed meat, lighting up dirty charcoal grills that were made in China, blasting off toxic fireworks and pretending "it's all good." I weep for you, and I weep for the future.

Ryan Howard (BJ Novak) - The Office

It's only a random comment from the site but to me it makes alot sense
especially that part about Earth Day or Earth Hour.

Why not commit your time to making changes or helping someone in need and doing something worth-while instead of celebrating ignorance.....

edit on 5-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

So the Garden of Eden that you live in (Australia) has no fat people, no single moms, and no sleazy politicians- is that what you're telling us?..............

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I appreciate this thread and your opinion and I agree with it. Read the following line from the declaration, then read it again and again until you are absolutely certain of it's meaning... (bold text added by me)

with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

This is what is missing in today's America. This was the conviction of Thomas Jefferson, as well as many other Founders, contrary to what progressive revisionist history will say. Thomas Jefferson believed that freedom, liberty and individual sovereignty was a gift bestowed upon man by God, and that it was man's responsibility to protect that gift at all costs. Thomas Jefferson literally declared war on the biggest, strongest, most feared and most powerful military machine in the history of the world (at the time), and he did so knowing full well that the only way that America would win and become free and independent was through divine intervention. Our founders believed in the protection from God, because they were on the side of God. I'm not getting all religious here, because I despise organized religion, and I believe that the majority of our founders did as well, because they saw it as yet another means to control man's freedom. They did however believe in a strong individual belief in God, and that God is the creator of all things. They believed in natural rights and the laws of nature, that were above any man and any man made law, which is why ALL men were created equal. America and Americans have long forgotten this, and until it is remembered America will continue on it's path to hell, both literally and figuratively speaking.
edit on 5-7-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

No your right, we have problems over here as well.

However this thread isn't about Australia
You know Earth Hour started in Australia by Australians and see how quickly it spread.

It's things like this that should be celebrated. We have have Australia Day in Janurary which is very similiar to the 4th of July over there. We celebrate abit differently but the idea is the same but at the same time we look at the year passed and what people have contributed to Australia and the world and honor them.

Australian of the Year, Young Australian of the Year etc. These people make contributions to charity, science, enviroment and many other subject area's and it's great to see them recognised and awarded by our Prime Minister.

I don't want you to think that i am here just to USA bash, i find it sad that things have gone so badly considering how great the country was. You would know better than me how many problems there are and it's not just about Obesity or Single Mums - It's also about economics, war, unemployment, housing and the list goes on.

Putting that aside - Happy 4th

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
How many people even understand what Independence Day is all about...maybe a third?

How many people really understand waht is going on around them in this country, not the deep conspiracy stuff, but just realize that something is happening and they are slowly losing their rights...maybe a third?

How many people actually wanted to break away from England in 1776?.... you guessed it, about a third...actually it was less...only 30% of colonists were so disenfrasnchised with England that they were willing to take up arms against the British.

The god and bad is this...Things are bad, but they are not so bad yet, that your average American citizen is ready to risk life and limb to revolt against the government.

Think about it...what is this morphed Tea Party made up of...30% of voting Americans...even that many yet?How many people are still satisfied with their everyday lives...sure they / we have some ups and downs...but how many are ready to go to a march or protest? How many are ready to actively participate in some form of boycott? How many are even brazen enough to display their opposition to the government on their vehicles or in their yards?

The ones upset with the TSA are really those that fly. Most people do not fly. The ones upset about taxes are only the ones that pay them...and according to statistics... a goodly portion of Americans pay no or little taxes. Upset about internet services....still a lot of people that do not have the net...REALLY? Yup...and most of them are the very ones that would take up arms against an intrusive government. They are the ones that still get their news from the TV.

Frankly, it will not be until the majority of Americans are being persecuted and wrongfully arrested, investigated, and harrassed by law and "peace keeping" troops, that citizens will take up arms against the government. Until that happens... you will not see a repeat of 1776..or 1861 for that matter.

So celebrate...as bad as things are...they are not that bad yet.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
... a bunch of rich white guys that didn't want to pay their taxes....

edit on 7/5/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Our forefathers were true patriots. I can't say that for our government today. Do you think any of them would take a bullet to bleed on the stripes to keep them red? I know I would be the first in line, but I truly believe the members in our current government would not.

So you ask "What are we celebrating?" We are celebrating the "Patriot" that's in our hearts. And, the men we call our forefather's that fought to give us the right to be free. It's time we let that "Patriot" out and stand up for what we believe and cherish in this nation we call The United States of America and most of all, we call home before it's destroyed.

You ask "how"? I don't know, but sitting around on our butts isn't going to make a difference.

For what it's worth, there's my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Love the post, OP.

Check out my signature. I've been saying this for years.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz
... a bunch of rich white guys that didn't want to pay their taxes....

edit on 7/5/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

And even at that time, they were called REPUBLICANS.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The time is drawing near to hit 'reboot' on this republic. Time to get back to basics.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

I dont know about the stars and stripes, but I would die for the Gadsden flag(Dont Tread On Me) The original American Flag...

This is a great topic, I enjoyed reading through all the intelligent posts on here...

I had to LOL at the Cutting fat people out of their houses comment though... Ugh That is so disgusting but true

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join