It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Low Carbohydrate, High Protein Diet Slows Tumour Growth and Prevents Cancer Initiation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A bit of good news for anyone who has suffered or knows someone who is suffering from this terrible disease.

More than 80 years ago, Otto Warburg found that most cancer cells, unlike normal cells, rely more on glycolysis than oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) to meet their energy needs, even under normoxic conditions

Since cancer cells depend on glucose more than normal cells, we compared the effects of low carbohydrate (CHO) diets to a Western diet on the growth rate of tumors in mice. To avoid caloric restriction–induced effects, we designed the low CHO diets isocaloric with the Western diet by increasing protein rather than fat levels because of the reported tumor-promoting effects of high fat and the immune-stimulating effects of high protein. We found that both murine and human carcinomas grew slower in mice on diets containing low amylose CHO and high protein compared with a Western diet characterized by relatively high CHO and low protein. There was no weight difference between the tumor-bearing mice on the low CHO or Western diets.

They also found that the low CHO-fed mice exhibited lower levels of blood glucose, insulin and lactate

Whereas only 1 mouse on the Western diet achieved a normal life span, due to cancer-associated deaths, more than 50% of the mice on the low CHO diet reached or exceeded the normal life span. Taken together, our findings offer a compelling preclinical illustration of the ability of a low CHO diet in not only restricting weight gain but also cancer development and progression.

Lastly, I am not suggesting that if you know someone with cancer you should encourage them to do this; that would be dangerous and irresponsible of you to do so.

Consult your (or their) GP

Low carbohydrate diet slows tumour growth

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Cancer loves sugar.
That's the theory behind the syrup/baking soda cure.
The cancer snaps up the incoming sugar, and gets the baking soda surprise.
PH level of baking soda is something cancer doesn't like.
I think it works, but I'm sure someone with more 'knowledge' about it will explain how wrong I am.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I am shocked that this is news. Must be some recycled or recanned news. It is common sense, when you have the perspective of what their machines are measuring during your tests.

Primarily, as it relates to this article, the PET scan, or "Positron Emission Tomography". Without getting into technical details which I really will screw up in trying to tell you, what it is measuring is a reaction to the processing of sugars in the body. This is a sign that cancer tumors are growing actively.

You will always find that brains and bladders "light up" on a PET scan, due to the high levels of sugars that are normally present due to biological process. But when you see similar response in other areas, it is an indication of an aggressive tumor.

Logic, then, would dictate that sugar is an important element in cancer growth, as well as brain function. The implications of this fact, related to how our intelligence seems to have arisen at around the same time we domesticated grains, would be worthy of research all on its own (as grains are a very high carb source, meaning high sugar). As well, since barley is the highest carb common grain, it may explain some of the bursts of collective insights in human history (not to mention things like red beans, another very high carb food).

But all of this aside (most of it which is actually off topic), your doctor will tell you to limit sugar intake when you begin cancer treatments. This is because it starves the cancer of its primary food source. Now, many of you will consider that as things containing either cane sugar, or HFCS. But to anyone who has ever been on a low carb diet, you learn to understand that "sugar" is a very, very good camouflage artist. It means, in essence, carbohydrates, which are basically various forms of sugar.

I can say, however, that my mom beat what was initially diagnosed as a treatable, but uncurable Stage III Type B lymphoma. I cooked for her a lot (i am the cook in teh family, since i like to cook and they all like to eat it), and fed her a high carb, but low processed sugar diet. We had lots and lots of pasta. My goal was to add fat to her body in as high amounts as i could. I figured if she ended up in a long, protracted fight she would need as much body fat as possible to stave off muscle wasting (as the body is robbed of sugar from cancer production, fat reserves are used up, then proteins in muscle are broken down, until you die). She and I both got VERY fat. Now that she is officially pronounced "cured" (4 years no growth, and actual regrowth in an effected kidney that is atrophied), we are including her in our low carb diet, to get that weight off and prevent more joint issues and heart problems.

The body is simply a machine. Control the fuel, control how it functions. It is a science, but not rocket surgery.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I have spoken profusely regarding the use of a low carb/high protein diet where it is applied to
breaking down the growth of cancer cells. It is a KNOWN fact that cancer "likes" good 'ol sugar, as you have said...and believe it or not those in the medical oncology business as well as those in the primary medical business, etc. could give two flyin' craps.

Using a low acid/higher base as you have also said has shown great improvements in certain cancers...but the sad thing is...unless one takes it upon themselves to control this "fuel" to the body...not one doctor I spoken with is willing to help. They look at you like you fell off the turnip truck or you are some sort of kook!

The medical field is not interested in curing cancer...it makes too much money for too many people!

Bottom line, thanks for sharing your findings with those on this site, I have shared mine as well when I found what you did...

We should NEVER expect ANYBODY in the medical business to help us live a life that is not profitable to them especially when it comes to recovery/curing cancer. Famous words: Physician...HEAL THYSELF...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

The doctors you have talked to must be horrible people. The doctor that treated my mother (Dr. Borra of Texas Oncology in Odessa, TX) was very clear about reducing sugar. VERY clear about it.

For those interested, you can also alter Ph into a more base level by ingesting French Green Clay. It is also a great aid for staph infections (as is a low carb diet).

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You are correct about those doctors I have dealt with...the only ones I can seem to find are all about the money and the Big Pharm perks. I will keep searching though.

I wonder how many people with cancer are type 2/ type 1 diabetics?
I'm glad your mom was able to find one of the "good" doc's out there....can only hope I will find one to work with me
as well...if not...than as I said...We shall heal ourselves.

have a good one...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There are a lot of diets which prevent cancer and are known for curing it to some degree!

One such diet is Gerson Therapy , however this diet is extremely costly and has quite a few side effects some even fatal.

The truth is that nutrition is key to everything... If you want your body to be healthy eat healthy and maintain a balanced diet.

top topics

join