It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Sergeant Todd Langley, 35, from the 2nd Commando Regiment in Sydney, died after being shot in the head during an operation with the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG), General Hurley said. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

Yet another member of my former unit dead in Afghanistan.

I realise that most of the people on here are from the US, which has a much higher mortality rate over in the sandbox - but in Aus our mortality rate is exceptionally low.

Also, our SF community is extremely small - when we lose someone with this much experience, it's a massive blow.

My thoughts go out to his family.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I was going to say something anti war, but i won't.

All i will say is,,,,
Its sad day for the Australian Army and Australia, my thoughts to go out to Sergeant Langley's Family and your SF community for their loss.

Lest We Forget.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
it's time to withdraw all our troops from afghanistan.. it's just a pointless war that only benefits those few American corporations, such as Halibuton..

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I know that the SF community does not want glorification, he was doing the job he volunteered for. Chances are he died knowing what he did was for the overall good.

God Bless

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Whilst Im sorry for his loss we now have the balance of power in the Senate held by a man that wants to throw 300,000 coal industry jobs and $37 billion dollars income under the bus and replace it with whalewatching in the great barrier reef and windfarming an experiment thats allready been tried in Spain which has left them with 30 percent unemployment and a financial position as bad as Greeces and a Prime Minister that is hellbent on her carbon fart tax despite 80 percent of us not wanting it,increasingly the Government is demonstrating that it does not believe people are smart enough to make adult decisions and wading into and interfering with peoples lives.

We are now being run by imbeciles that have lost touch with reality and no longer represent me or my interests I no longer have any allegience to the Crown or Commonwealth and most certainly would not fight for the dickheads now running the show.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
When will this needless loss of life end? Bloody pharmaceutical corporations!
RIP Digger!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I know that the SF community does not want glorification, he was doing the job he volunteered for. Chances are he died knowing what he did was for the overall good.

God Bless

How do you know this?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed

I was going to say something anti war, but i won't.

All i will say is,,,,
Its sad day for the Australian Army and Australia, my thoughts to go out to Sergeant Langley's Family and your SF community for their loss.

Lest We Forget.

Thank you for not hijacking the thread - cheers.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
As much as I support our military.....but when are our Govt going to explain what the hell are we really doing there, what is our purpose and why we need to be there until 2014. OBL is dead and has been for the past 10 years. Afghanistan is not a threat to Australia and never has been, nor ever will. Must we follow the Americans at every opportunity that is not always in the best interests of our own nation?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

I would never have hijacked it mate.
I respect our Aussie troops and people like yourself to much to do that today. ( I just dont respect our goverment and its decisions of war)
As i said, it a sad day for Australia.

Peace and Respect mate.
Meathed

edit on 4-7-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I was just saying this morning I am tired of turning on news to another lad dying

I am defn anti war, particularly the ongoing Afghani war, as my direct family lived through a civil war, but EC my thoughts go out to you and your family and friends, who lost another special Australian friend and comrade...They're so young, it breaks my heart, but their hearts and commitment to their beliefs are large and stay alive for a long time....

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed

I would never have hijacked it mate.
I respect our Aussie troops and people like yourself to much to do that today. ( I just dont respect our goverment and its decisions of war)
As i said, it a sad day for Australia.

Peace and Respect mate.
Meathed

Cheers fella.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

You mean you seriously dont know?
Or are you enticing a topic change? The answer is in my previous post if you are genuinely concerned.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

What? You think this is about opiates?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

God Bless

How do you know this?

I'm former Recon and was assigned to SOCOM for quite a few years, just recently retired. I've worked with British and AUS SAS as well. All the guys were very professional and did what they did voluntarily. They all trained hard and played hard. The only time I saw them being loud and proud was when they were amongst comrades.

I've never known a glory hound within the SF community, here in the States anyways, though they probably do exist.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Sergeant Todd Langley, 35, from the 2nd Commando Regiment in Sydney, died after being shot in the head during an operation with the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG), General Hurley said. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

Yet another member of my former unit dead in Afghanistan.

I realise that most of the people on here are from the US, which has a much higher mortality rate over in the sandbox - but in Aus our mortality rate is exceptionally low.

Also, our SF community is extremely small - when we lose someone with this much experience, it's a massive blow.

My thoughts go out to his family.

Im with you on that, My mum told me today about this, I grew up with this young Man.

My thoughts are with his family.

themuse
edit on 5/7/2011 by themuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

In my experience, the operators I worked with did not go out of their way to seek glorification - but we were all alpha males, and were extremely proud of our role.

Part of the drive to go on ops is the status & the prestige of being amongst some of the best in the world - so in all fairness, there is some glorification to the role and the job.

new topics

top topics

join