It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to live forever? Scientist sees aging cured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
“If Aubrey de Grey's predictions are right, the first person who will live to see their 150th birthday has already been born. And the first person to live for 1,000 years could be less than 20 years younger.”

Source
nz.news.yahoo.com...

If we are living to one thousand it means we are pretty much, outside of accidents, immortal.

We - our generation may live forever, if so what do you think are the sensible decisions to make now?

I will give you a taste of my thinking

Clean up the environment.
Learn about creating systems that enable us to survive anywhere i.e. hydroponics under lights, contained domes under sunlight.
Build a moon base.
Get a colony started on Mars.
Sort out methods for desalination and transportation of water.
Let us help mother earth spread her seeds through out the galaxy, be the midwife for this gift of life and consciousness from a place of self respect and love.

Times they are a changing people, and a quick note for those over populationists,
We are living in a completely abundant universe.
The only scarcity we currently have on earth is of a financial system that can cope with our modern day circumstances.
Current population growth is just over 1% and has been falling for more than 40 years.

Have fun folks we are living in the most interesting of times, if they don't cure old age I can think of a dozen over ways with modern science that we may still be around next century.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't think finding a cure for aging(aging isn't a diease) will keep you alive forever.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Sadly only the rich will be able to afford this type of luxury. The masses are life to grow old, wither and die

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
heh death is death 100 or 1000 years old or even flat under a bus no cure for that one
Any way living to 250 to 500 would be great, spend the first 20 to 40 years years in education, (So much to learn) and then 40 to150 years working and then 150+ living life. instead of 15 to 20 years education 40years work and 20 year living. Life is way to short as it is.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Maybe - but people might get off their arses and demand a healthy life for a few centuries, probably worth fighting for.

This whole recession unemployment stuff is a case in point, I have had bankers saying they don't see it ever being fixed because fundamentally we don’t have enough work for people to do. Comes with a higher technology. The banker said we need someone leading a charge to new wealth.

Space exploration, environmental clean up, water infrastructure, habitation domes this is all new ways for our survival needing venture capital and skilled workers. Some will get rich from leading the way. We have so much to do! With a bit of luck and good management we will need more people not less, offer you a good long healthy life for free, saves the medical bills and keeps you working.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
heh death is death 100 or 1000 years old or even flat under a bus no cure for that one
Any way living to 250 to 500 would be great, spend the first 20 to 40 years years in education, (So much to learn) and then 40 to150 years working and then 150+ living life. instead of 15 to 20 years education 40years work and 20 year living. Life is way to short as it is.

40 years in school? are you whacked. america would be broke. can you imagine someone collecting welfare for 700 years.

never getting a job or a raise because someone has 500 years seniority. or people like george bush having 40 year terms in office.

God did us a favor.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The more they learn about aging the more possible it will be to arrest aging.

But what do you do about the people that keep having kids?

There is only so much room on the planet. Therefore, you may be able to take advantage of anti aging techniques in the beginning but soon, it will only be available for "special" people.

Think how much money you would have if you just let $10,000 ride in the stock market for 200 years.

Think how much you could learn if you could go to school every 50 years and get another PHd.

The future is going to be interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I thought this was quite interesting by Richard Dawkins on the selfish nature of Immorality in a world that is so heavily populated. It would be irresponsible and arrogant thing to do.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
If there were some "cure" or ability to slow down aging significantly, we wouldn't hear about it when it's released. They don't want billions of 1000 year olds running around, no, it would be preserved for people who have "proved their worth" either by being born of a certain, rich familiy line or simply how much money the individual has accumulated. Others may be justified by their inventions, like the one who makes the cure in the first place.

Pretty much everyone else who wants to live long would have to slave away for those who are rich and in power to deserve the right to live a long time. That's what I see anyway, a bunch of selfish, self-righteous assholes deciding who's worthy. Then it all comes crashing down...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
LOL I was thinking education/working/loving life for all of it lol....with that kinda time why not study 4 hours, work 4 hours in service to others, learn/build something "YOU LOVE" for 4 hours....then you can sleep up to 12....

Seriously though....education should not be viewed as something that costs the govt money....its education that allowed us to get to this point...lol.

And I'll let you in on a secret for those of you that read this....it will not just be for the rich. the messiahs will share....I state a plural as they always have shared before and I bet they will share again...you can't be a messiah and not give everything to the world....IT WILL BE YOUR CHOICE TO ACCEPT THE GIFTS....and trust me the gifts are in the works
Keep your faith, and keep an open heart and mind.....hows that for optimism

Drala

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Birth rates have been falling since the 60's pretty much everywhere except Africa. Currently worldwide population growth is just over 1%.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
If there were some "cure" or ability to slow down aging significantly, we wouldn't hear about it when it's released. They don't want billions of 1000 year olds running around, no, it would be preserved for people who have "proved their worth" either by being born of a certain, rich familiy line or simply how much money the individual has accumulated. Others may be justified by their inventions, like the one who makes the cure in the first place.

Pretty much everyone else who wants to live long would have to slave away for those who are rich and in power to deserve the right to live a long time. That's what I see anyway, a bunch of selfish, self-righteous assholes deciding who's worthy. Then it all comes crashing down...

I'm reading about this stuff every week, again I can see a dozen ways from reported science that can prolong our lives greatly.

Remove the costs of keeping unhealthy people alive with modern answers.

Remove the cost of war with the recognition of abundance. People we are locked into an understanding which is simply not true. We really do have everything we need right here and right now.

We live on a water planet, build out agriculture and housing up – there will never be a lack of space.

The only things we will ever need on earth – in a far future are minerals, and space exploration will provide.

I say again the universe is totally abundant, a quote from Richard Bach “Argue your limitations and they are yours” We humans have no limitations.

As for not wanting us to live a thousand years, we would be highly learned productive members of our race. Would you want a 50 year old doing the job when you could have a thousand year old doing it?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drala
And I'll let you in on a secret for those of you that read this....it will not just be for the rich. the messiahs will share....I state a plural as they always have shared before and I bet they will share again...you can't be a messiah and not give everything to the world....IT WILL BE YOUR CHOICE TO ACCEPT THE GIFTS....and trust me the gifts are in the works
Keep your faith, and keep an open heart and mind.....hows that for optimism

Drala

Sounds great - and yes I agree, the right to refuse must be retained. People this may get to a stage that all we need do is take a pill and maybe get a checkup every 50 years or so. We have got to have the right to opt out, we can't have this gift of eternal life become a prision, for those who wish to experiance death and whatever may come after....
Do like the optimism

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Life extension .....

But only if you forswear having children.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Life extension .....

But only if you forswear having children.

Womens eggs all 1.5 million of them are pretty mush stuffed by the time they get to 50 in anycase, new children will be seen as a godsend because we will all be so old. There will be so few women able to concieve naturally. We have a galaxy in which to explore, we will want many more children to join us.

top topics

join