It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Solar Panels, in series or in parrallel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So I've gotten down to one of the last parts of my panels, and I have this buddy who keeps talking to me about how to wire the circuits. I have 8 panels, with 30 cells each, all 1.6-1.7 volts each, how do I need to wire them to get the best bang for my buck?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Wish I had some answers for ya... But sadly I dont

Where is a good website to learn up on building your own panels? Ive been wanting to learn about it for sometime now

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You want a series parallel arrangement. What voltage do you plan on using? 12v, 24v, or 36v? You say the panels are home made? Can you post a schematic of your system? If you do, I will alter your schematic to reflect the best output for your chosen voltage.

link   
Seeing that most things are made to run off of 12 V (portable gadgets/inverters) you would have to connect them in series to get the voltage up around 12-13 volts. In parallel you would end up with the 1.6-1.7 voltage but would be able to provide more current.

edit on 4-7-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

link   
hi
its what u want
in series will double voltage
in parallel it will double capacity
here is a good explanation

www.zbattery.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
Seeing that most things are made to run off of 12 V you would have to connect them in series to get the voltage up around 12-13 volts. In parallel you would en up with the 1.6-1.7 voltage but would be able to provide more current.
While that is true to a degree, the best answer is a series parallel ckt built around the voltage chosen. His inverter and any low voltage equipment requirements will determine the best way. Series will increase available voltage, but parallel will increase available amperage and watt/hours. 30x 1.6 = 48v maximum output/panel. Should he choose to do so he could have 4 series ckts each producing 12v which could then be wired in parallel to increase the available wattage/hour. For each panel.
edit on 4-7-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: For clarification

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Posting for follow up, Im interested in setting up a system myself......cheers

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Ok, I'm learning as I go and jumped before I looked on this project, the Grid Tie inverter I have is a 30VDC/36VDC to 120 VAC/60hz. Which means I should be looking at aiming for 30 volts dc and it will convert it over to 120v of alternating current?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSpeech
Ok, I'm learning as I go and jumped before I looked on this project, the Grid Tie inverter I have is a 30VDC/36VDC to 120 VAC/60hz. Which means I should be looking at aiming for 30 volts dc and it will convert it over to 120v of alternating current?

You went with a grid tie system? May I ask why you want to stay on the grid?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I found this helpful YT video that helped explain a few things for everyone else who is riding in the same boat.

Not used to posting videos so hope I got it right.

Thanks Mr. Rhohas.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

From what I understood in the final configuration you could tie into the grid and feed back reducing your energy bill. I don't have the money at this time to go completely off the grid. However you could run to a charge controller first and then feed back into the grid. So if I have it down right I can charge my batteries (yet to be purchased) and have that emergency back up should everything go down.

If I'm wrong, please say so and point out where the mistake was made.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by QuietSpeech

I would need to see schematics of your system before I could determine whether you made a "mistake" or not. If your goal is just to reduce your electric bill, then you are fine.
Batteries are critical to using the system as a back up, and even more so should you decide to go off the grid.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Has anyone tried the Homemade Energy package that is advertised on this site?
thanks

top topics

join