It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASIO gets wider investigative powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

ASIO gets wider investigative powers

www.abc.net.au

The Senate has passed laws to extend the powers of intelligence agency ASIO to investigate Australian citizens.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Small article not much detail, investigate Aussies for breach of united nations sanctions?
I wonder what these could be?
Maybe related to the scam at the reserve bank?

Bribery charges for RBA subsidiaries

www.abc.net.au...

Any thoughts ?
Could be a step up in cyber warfare maybe?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

Breaching UN sanctions - such as against Iran or Nth Korea - what's the great mystery as to what those are?

The Australian federal police probably don't have the contacts or powers to investigate overseas, or access to the intelligance organisations of other countries (CIA, MI5, etc) that ASIO has & can use.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
What does it mean?
That you and I had better log off and never return to this site.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There is a lot of media around calling it the 'Wikileaks Amendments' while the focus of the legislation appears to have a stronger focus on the 'national economic well being'. It does appear to improve ASIO's ability to snoop on corporate operations with some concern it may relate with the current NBN rollout and mass surveillance. Being ASIO is not really surprising they are being tight lipped about it, getting pushed through 3 months ahead of schedule in a rush is raising some WTF?

So is the target the Green campaign putting pressure on the business community, maybe more in depth study of the financial sector to check that all the books are adding up, or perhaps stop any whistle blowers from letting out just how much of a mess things are and destroying the illusion? The main thing that sticks out is that it has something to do with money.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I, for one, have absolutely no problems with our intel services having greater powers.

If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the problem?

If you're doing something wrong, obviously this is a concern.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
I, for one, have absolutely no problems with our intel services having greater powers.

If you're doing something wrong, obviously this is a concern.

There are a lot of people doing the wrong things. Giving ASIO extra powers could help the wrong people.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

and these F*wit fascists never make mistakes???
or get into vendettas against individuals????
or harass people for their "association"...
etc etc etc

wake up...

more power to us...not them...

seeya

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Look it's in regards to corporate australia and the fact that we've just found out some companies in australia who print money for us, have been involved in bribery of overseas officials to try and do money printing for countries like Vietnam, cambodia, etc.

Now I guess that ties in with bribery concerns that australian Rio Tinto members were trying to bribe Chinese officials to get contracts.

Tie that in with us Australians really don't like Bribery and corruption one little bit, and in steps ASIO.

Good on 'em I say.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

Really?

Fascism = Extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice

How do you figure that our intel services are "intolerant" "f***wits" or "extreme right wing"

Wake up to yourself.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I agree, ASIO should have all the powers they deem neccessary.....perhaps they would like to start with the ALP members who commit treason, Mark Arbib would be the first I'd want investigated thoroughly.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Personally I think the Aussie Intell services should be investigating Julia Gillard and her government to see who is pulling the strings behind her for the god-awful policies bordering on treason that her government is and trying to implement.

That and also the CIA's role with Mark Arbib in the labour party which was mentioned just after the coup against Rudd.

Doesn't make sense why they'd have right wing labour members put a well known far left pollie as their leader sponsored by the CIA?

what agenda? to screw Australia for good?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Personally I think the Aussie Intell services should be investigating Julia Gillard and her government to see who is pulling the strings behind her for the god-awful policies bordering on treason that her government is and trying to implement.

That and also the CIA's role with Mark Arbib in the labour party which was mentioned just after the coup against Rudd.

Doesn't make sense why they'd have right wing labour members put a well known far left pollie as their leader sponsored by the CIA?

what agenda? to screw Australia for good?

Wow it is like reading a mirror!

Couldn't agree more.
Was wrapped to see the feds bring down those fat cats printing money.
If bringing down corrupt corporations is something they do then i want to join,i will work for free,my reward is seeing these fat cats burn.
I would also work for free in bringing down Gillard pty ltd.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

The problem is they can change the definition of "right and wrong" in the future.

The real issue here is can they be trusted?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
Small article not much detail, investigate Aussies for breach of united nations sanctions?
I wonder what these could be?

Well, the UN did try to seize territory here under the guise of "marine parks".

Maybe ASIO needs to investigate the recreational fisherman that got together and fought it?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Look it's in regards to corporate australia and the fact that we've just found out some companies in australia who print money for us, have been involved in bribery of overseas officials to try and do money printing for countries like Vietnam, cambodia, etc.

Now I guess that ties in with bribery concerns that australian Rio Tinto members were trying to bribe Chinese officials to get contracts.

Tie that in with us Australians really don't like Bribery and corruption one little bit, and in steps ASIO.

Good on 'em I say.

It would be appreciated if you can provide some evidence of these claims,
Money printing?
Would be nice, ya know?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

Here ya go.Money printing as in bribes to get the contracts.
This ABC article explains more and is in the op.Cheers.
www.abc.net.au...

new topics

top topics

join