It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News of the World 'hacked Milly Dowler phone'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So apparently a british news paper allegedly thought it would be a good I dea, not only to hack the phone of a murdered school girl but also delete messages/potential evidence.

An investigator working for the News of the World allegedly hacked into the mobile phone of murdered girl Milly Dowler, a lawyer for the family says. Mark Lewis said police told her parents that Glenn Mulcaire hacked into her voicemail while she was missing. The Guardian has claimed he intercepted messages left by relatives and said the NoW deleted some, which gave her parents false hope she was alive. NoW parent firm News International said the development was of "great concern". Mr Lewis said the hacking dated from 2002 when the NoW was under the editorship of Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) - now News International's chief executive. In a statement he said: "Sally and Bob Dowler have been through so much grief and trauma without further distressing revelations to them regarding the loss of their daughter.

BBC News
edit on 4-7-2011 by Idonthaveabeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
this is bad. why would they do it in the 1st place. it also opens up other things like how many more have had there phone hacked? how easy it to hack a phone and where do they get the numbers from in the fist place to get into the mail box ?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It must be pretty easy to hack phones looking at all these stories of phone hacking that are coming out. But surely doing it to some random 'celebrity' is one thing but a missing school girl? If its true its shocking...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The News of the World are scum. I would pay good money to see this newspaper go the way of the dodo. Some of the things they have done in the past have been shameful but this takes the cake.

I hope this is the beginning of the end for this despicable group.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yeah this is really a dark twist in the whole phone hacking affair. It makes you wonder who else's phone has been hacked. It could have been anyone who has been in the news in the last decade. I hope they throw the book at News International for this one.

The messages were deleted by journalists in the first few days after Milly's disappearance in order to free up space for more messages. As a result friends and relatives of Milly concluded wrongly that she might still be alive. Police feared evidence may have been destroyed.

The Guardian investigation has shown that, within a very short time of Milly vanishing, News of the World journalists reacted by engaging in what was standard practice in their newsroom: they hired private investigators to get them a story.

Shocking stuff.www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Vile newspaper, always have been, this just goes to show how low they stoop. Hopefully people will boycott them over this, but I doubt it because it feeds the celebrity addiction of the masses

edit on 4-7-2011 by Ginga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

it is very easy to hack a mail box. all you need is there number and thats it... how do you get the numbers in the first place ?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If they were willing to listen to messages on a missing girls phone while the search was still ongoing, you just have to wonder how low they will actually go?
It seems they don't know where to draw the line.
Obviously just a bunch of scumbags!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

With these people there really is no bottom.

Just to add, none of the tabloids are carrying this story, suggests that they have also been complicit in some dodgy methods. I mean not even the Dailt Mail is carrying the story
edit on 4-7-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
its been said most of the papers have prob done this. i wonder how deep it really goes ?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrHappyman989

yes i agree with that . this is a sick news paper that only the low class of british scum read , and if i ever come across a reporter from this paper they would need reconstructive surgery

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
its been said most of the papers have prob done this. i wonder how deep it really goes ?

Maybe that is why it isn't being reported as people have said.

Because then other new companies would get outed as well..

Who owns those , same people who are not reporting it.

case closed...they are shady

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

it is very easy to hack a mail box. all you need is there number and thats it... how do you get the numbers in the first place ?

And there is the £50 million question...

How exactly did the NoW get the kids number? How did they get anyone else number? There are rumours that these "investigators" have contacts within Police forces that provide them with information..

That would be the logical path for any investigation into all this, namely, how on Earth did NoW get hold of these people's numbers in the first place? Worms, so many worm everywhere...Will they open that can?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Got to wonder why the hell did they delete the messages

Be interesting to see what Cameron has to say about this, as it's obvious he's been a little bit cozy with Murdoch and Rebekah Brookes.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Also, Andy Coulson was deputy editor at the time of the hacking, he resigned in January as Cameron's media adviser.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I seen a documentary on TV about the phone hacking all they need is the telephone number, they call the person when the person answers or goes to the answer machine they call the number again from a different phone this then goes straight to the mail box.

People dont usually change the default pin number for the mail box and its set to 1234 or something similar they use it to gain access to your messages if you want to stop someone getting in to your mail box make sure you set a pin only you would know and they cant get you then...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse. This is a bad day for tabloid journalism.

The parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the two children murdered by Ian Huntley, were contacted by Scotland Yard detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World, it emerged on Tuesday.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said they were aware that the families of Wells and Chapman were contacted by the Metropolitan police about two months ago.

It is believed the families were warned there was evidence to suggest they were targeted by Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator who was formerly employed by the paper.

There really is no bottom with these people.

In other news

Two newspapers published articles about the arrest of a man over the killing of Jo Yeates which were in contempt of court, the High Court has been told.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse. This is a bad day for tabloid journalism.

The parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the two children murdered by Ian Huntley, were contacted by Scotland Yard detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World, it emerged on Tuesday.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said they were aware that the families of Wells and Chapman were contacted by the Metropolitan police about two months ago.

It is believed the families were warned there was evidence to suggest they were targeted by Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator who was formerly employed by the paper.

There really is no bottom with these people.

In other news

Two newspapers published articles about the arrest of a man over the killing of Jo Yeates which were in contempt of court, the High Court has been told.

www.bbc.co.uk...

as i said i wonder how deep it really goes ? ian huntely was meant to of been set up for them 2 murders (there is threads about this on this site) i really am thinking theres more to this hacking lark than meets the eye

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I can only think they get numbers by interviewing school friends and such and sucker them into giving numbers or showing past messages.

Also in theory if they have the contact number of a friend of a celeb, they could hack the friends phone to get to the messages from the celeb and then that way get the celebs phone number.

It all stinks to high heaven anyway, I bet this those really really deep.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You have to wonder if it goes beyond phones? I bet a few people in certain places could easily be tempted by money just for a bit of info.

top topics

join