It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Florida Prepares for Approaching Tropical Storms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Two tropical storms began a course towards Florida Wednesday. Bonnie heading north-east across the Gulf of Mexico and a larger Charley heading north.

news.yahoo.com
The National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for the middle and lower Florida Keys from Dry Tortugas to Craig Key. A watch means hurricane conditions are possible within 36 hours.

Florida officials will begin considering Thursday whether to evacuate the island chain, which can take a number of hours because there's only one road to the mainland, said Craig Fugate, the state's emergency management director.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The storms are guessed to bring at least six to three inches of rain. Due to what has already been a wet week for the Pan-handle many low lying areas will have to be evacuated if there is flooding. The Hurricane Center says after the sotrms hit Florida It could spread rain all along the east coast.

Related News Links:
www.miami.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 8-11-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Jeb Bush just activated the National Guard and declared a state of emergency for "ALL" of Florida

oh yeah and Charley has been upgraded to a Cat 1 Hurricane, tourists in the Keys are being told to evacuate.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The names should be Bonnie and Clyde. Those would have been a better combo.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
LOL we were actually just talking about that spittin... it's funny that you said that. So many storms so quickly, hope everyone down there stays safe.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Bonnie and Clyde

Hehe, yep, that'd been good...

Well, I'm in FL. Personally, I'm in Tampa Bay, we seem to get pretty lucky on these. I'll have to let you know how it goes. Personally, I've seen enough of these to have a good guess on what'll happen....

Bonnie's going to be shredded and torn apart mostly, before it hits the panhandle I bet...likely just some minor wind (not even TS level) and more rain (which we don't need, as it's been raining for weeks!).

Charlie though, is a bit bigger, and I'd bet it'll be a hurricane before the day's out, likely then picking up steam till it's about a cat 3, before US landfall in Louisianna.

Here though, we'll just get some more minor winds and more rain...

Still, my survival kit is always handy...
Flashlights, candles, lighters, sterno, canned goods, water bottles, boardgames, art supplies, pet supplies, radio, batteries, snacks, etc.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Charlie has attained hurricane status (Cat. 1) w/ 75 MPH winds.

Naples/Orlando/Jax/Savannah is the current projected trajectory.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Myself, I live in Naples. I've heen in a couple of Hurricanes, Andrew being one, and a hand full of Tropical stroms. I'll keep you guys posted in the next few days of the minor damage and such.

I'n the mean time i am getting my sail and rollerblades ready. Roller sailing is the best in hurricanes, during Andrew I was truckin' at least 45 on my blades

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I talked to my parents who live in Key West this morning, and they are going to "Ride the Storm Out" as my dad said. I tried to tell him to go North, but he said they are staying.

I dont know, I told my sister today, I have this feeling about this storm, and its not good. Maybe its me worried about my parents.

The storm is expected to hit sometime Thursday afternoon into the evening.

When I hear from my folks about Charlie's damage or lack there of, I will pass on any information to ATS.

john

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hope your folks are safe...not too many places to take shelter in the keys...ie, none, in a major storm. As long as Charlie stays at Cat 3 or lower, they should be relatively safe.

I live in Jax, so I will be monitoring Charlie closely as well. We haven't had a storm hit up here for a very long time, though Floyd put the fear of God into the city a few years back.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My Parents have reservations to stay in a Hotel that is a designated Hurricane Shelter, and they will hunker down there.

I think the newer hotels in KWF have this designation and it provides the locals a safe place to go in the event of a storm.

My concern is if the storm turns ugly and the storm surge is bad, then KWF and the lower Keys will be in trouble.

john

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
anyone remember Irene who was supposed to come up the west coast of florida but then made a sudden right and ended up swamping Broward County and catching most people off guard...well i am worried Charley might do the same.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I am in the path of the storm here in Georgia, we are going to get floded again.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Oh boy, two storms at once.
Oh well, lets wait, but still prepare for the worse, and see what happens.

BTW, I live in the Miami/Hialeah area in south FL.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Muaddib

How does it look overthere here in Albany has been raining since yesterday.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, right now not that many clouds cover the skies, but we have had pretty bad storms appearing around here in the last month or so. It will become worse in the next couple of days, I am sure, but for now we don't have any rain in the Miami/Hialeah area.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I went through the 98 flooding of the area I believe it was 98 and I was not able to work for a week because the school got flooded, we did not sleep the waiting for the waters but thankfully they stopped about 2 blocks away from were I live and the experience is not funny, so many people loose their homes.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Bonnie is gonna bring some breezy weather and flooding to the panhandle area and northward tommorow. Charlie is the one that might be dangerous, it has the potential to streghten to a major hurricane, meaning we better keep a watchful eye on it. It is forecasts to make a turn to the north and northeast and sweep across the peninsula later Friday. A trough is supposed to "grab" it and make it turn north which may shear it down, or maybe give it more energy. Most computer models are agreeing that it will make landfall around the Tampa Bay area as a stronger system as it is now.

The good news is that both systems are supposed to move quickly which will minimize the flooding impact, but heavy rain is going to still be a problem from both systems. Looks like I am going to have to secure stuff in my yard in anticipation of Charlie's arrival.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well, I'm surprised to see Bonnie strengthen...but most weak hurricanes (which it seems it will be only briefly) weaken very fast when hitting the panhandle. Still it's a lot of wind and rain for even us (in Tampa).

The latest track on Charlie is pretty spooky though. If it follows that track, we get STOMPED!!! It's going WNW though, and when it strengthens, it'll be less likely to do that hook turn the track is taking.... Still, we're watching this one VERY closely...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well, apparently around 400.000 people have been ordered to evacuate in Florida because of the approaching storm(s)...

EDIT: Now it is 2 million...

[edit on 2004/8/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Despite some heavy t-storms all seems to be okay here in Tallahassee - we usually just get the high winds and buckets of rain - there's been a lot of lightning tho in the last few hours - I imagine things will be their worst around 4 or 5 tomorrow afternoon - I just hope the power doesn't go out on the traffic lights....that's never any fun!

[edit on 8/12/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

<<   2 >>

join