It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God really Exist?? What Proof is there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hello to Everyone,

Firstly, I do not wish to offend anyone with my posting! I really do want to make that clear to everyone. I would just like to discuss the possibilites of whether or not there is a God. So please, please do not take offense by anything said here.

Secondly, We are all entitled to our own opinion and I am very open and willing to suggestions and that is how it should be!

As a child growing up I was raised "Church of England", we were taught about the bible and its teachings (not that I remember much). As a child I think a lot went over my head and I probably did not appreciate the rantings of the vicar on those cold mornings, although I did enjoy singing the hyms with my friends and felt uplifted by them.

Although, the idea of their being a God is wonderful, a Univeral Hero for us all to look up to.
I do wonder whether there is a possibility that he did not exist at all.

What proof do we have? A Bible?

As we know, almost anyone can write a Novel - J.K. Rowling did it, Steven King did it and both became very successful at it. Anyone with ideas, inspiring tales, Courageous Heros and Menacing Vilains can put words to paper and create an inspiring Novel.

What if all those many years back, a clever young man, who was bored and feeling creative, didnt decide to create a Novel about a man, not just any man but a man above all men; a Hero, someone that we could look up to and ask for advice and look to for Inspiration. A man who was a teacher to us all, a man who could save lives and do Magic tricks.

How do we know that this story teller wasn't the best, most believable story teller ever seen and convinced people that his stories were, in fact, true.

People can be gullible especially when times are bad and they need something or someone to inspire them.

How do we know that these people didn't pass these stories on to their friends and families for generations and like a lot of stories they became Urban Legends and are still believed today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urban Legends explained:

Urban legends perpetrate a type of folklore, endlessly circulated by word of mouth, by recycling hearsay and anecdotal accounts as historical facts; these writings, in turn served as the basis for other accounts, and thus many cycles of inaccurate historical narrative became self-perpetuating vicious circles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A definiton of a Bible:-

1. A book. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

2. The Book by way of eminence, -- that is, the book which
is made up of the writings accepted by Christians as of
divine origin and authority.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we see above, a Bible is a book that is "made up" of the writings accepted by Christians......

"Made up" as in "created" by someone. Not necessarily true stories... but stories nonetheless.

So how does this prove that there was/ or is a GOD?

I'll stop here so that people can give me there opinions and we can see where we go from there... I am expecting their to be heated comments but like I said before I am not trying to offend anyone. Just having a healthy discussion about this issue.

Love & Positive thoughts to you all...

Michellle

[edit on 11-8-2004 by ShelleyBelleuk]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well we've had lots of threads like these before. I don't have the time right now to post them, so I hope someone else will. I going to close this thread, but I won't do that untill someone posts links to the old "god really existing?" threads...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
you make some good points, especially about us only having the bible for proof, but

1) you should take into consideration that the bible was written a long time after the idea of god

and

2) remember that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all intertwined with each other yet have their own teachings and books

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This can be found here:

Here is one of many...

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17652

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Proof of God is funny.

This is the perfect plan - Suppose I owned my own planet, a beautiful, lush planet - a perfect world with no crime, death, sadness or evil. I want to let folks in, but only those that I can trust - only those that will enjoy the good things and not scam, hurt, steal, lie and upset this perfect world. How can I know that those I let in will not disrupt my perfect world?

Now if I let them live in their own world first, letting them do their own thing, making their own choices, all the while recording thier thoughts and actions while they cannot see the camera - they heard a camera is there, but there is no proof of one - no one can see it. This would be a perfect way to know if I can trust you to live in my world.

If there was proof, folks would live their life right just so they could come into my world, but then I wouldn't know if you were genuinely good or not. Then it would only be a matter of time before people made my world into a world of crime, hate, lies, deceipt, curruption and greed - just like what we did to this world.

Proof? It would only defeat the purpose of a perfect world.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by godservant]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This thread is now closed...

new topics

top topics

join