It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The google monopoly - Google+ social networking site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Most of us seem to know that from social networking sites to our google searches are constantly datamined by the company or service in question.

Now, google (search engine) now has over 1 BILLION users

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Now their new social networking site which is soon to be released to the public, Google+ to me seems like it will destroy facebook by storm. It has SO many great features and blahdy blahdy blah. HOWEVER as well as knowing your internet searches via its search engine, and through various schemes like Google Adsense and etc scanning the web of what sites you visit recording your IP address and so on.

Can you imagine if they got even MORE information about you, equivilent to that of facebook if not more? Here is one of many reviews for it.

Just want peoples thoughts on this, sure it looks like a FAR superior service but this will just extend the google monopoly.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Wulfric because: (no reason given)

Edit: The other thing is that it could possible take some users from twitter due to its 'following' function, this is practically everything facebook never thought of and a completely improved version of fb and even looks easier to protect your privacy! But will it be safe from google?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The Google monopoly... don't you think that phrase is blatantly ridiculous when you are talking about a service of theirs in a field that is mostly controlled by somebody else aka Facebook?

Dude, I hope you got some cash from Zuckerbuggerer for this.

Facebook admits to being behind Google smear campaign.

Facebook admits to the Daily Beast that it was the client behind a PR firm's clumsy attempt to plant a damaging story about a Google social feature that’s almost two years old. The whisper campaign attempted by Burson-Marsteller turned into screaming headlines this week, after USA Today decided to write about the firm's attempts to bamboozle it (after actually being bamboozled and nearly publishing a front-page story about it, says Christopher Soghoian to BetaBeat).

Burson-Marsteller's attempts to plant a story about Google's "Social Circle" — a feature that shows you who Google knows you’re connected to — came to light after privacy advocate Soghoian posted his e-mail exchanges with the PR firm in which it asked him to put his byline on an op-ed that the firm had ghost-written.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

You know I would actually welcome google+ seeing as I could keep my information more secure (within my friends) and etc than I could with facebook...however. There have been some privacy issues too with facebook in the past, and google selling your private information so really all your trading off between facebook and google+ is a better service, while still getting your information data-mined.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wulfric
You know I would actually welcome google+ seeing as I could keep my information more secure (within my friends) and etc than I could with facebook...however. There have been some privacy issues too with facebook in the past, and google selling your private information so really all your trading off between facebook and google+ is a better service, while still getting your information data-mined.

Well whatever, that's not exactly a reply to my comment now, is it?

But yeah, there are firms datamining everything they can publicly connect to you.

The ones that are going to really matter are the ones that are going to be allowed to get away with keeping a file on everybody for pre-hire screening. The way they get around that being illegal, is that they do periodic searches on 'everybody' and it all goes in a file, but when they are contracted to screen you for an employer, they can only report what they can find in a current search.

I'll see if I can find the link to the story, but basically, from what I recall, if you 'liked' a Facebook page that said 'I shouldn't have to press 1 for English in the US' then you would be flagged for racism in their profile of your available information.

Given that it's quite a leap to go from something like that which maybe ~50% of the country finds annoying to 'racist' it's pretty clear to me there is major major litigation ahead for these datamining, employee screening companies. At the very least, it's slander, and it will cost people jobs.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Or maybe, just maybe, they want to compete with Facebook.
Because, you know, competition and innovation in any industry always bad for the consumers.
I mean, really, who wants choice? That's just absurd.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

LOL nice reply mate
. Although I do think that google know enough about us already

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
All these egocentric databases will go the way of the dodo when the bad experiences created by them build up. Several of my friends refuse to put any information about themselves on the internet, and I have actively been deleting stuff about myself for a while - hard when you've been as active on the web as I have for the past 15 years!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What Google monopoly? Are all these competitors just figments of my imagination?

top topics

join