It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do "tug at the heartstrings" animal shelter commercials help or hurt their cause?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What is your first response when you are sitting on your sofa watching TV and a commercial comes on for a particular animal welfare organization along with its synonymously associated music (no names need be mentioned as I'm sure we can all think of one or two such organizations specific to our neck of the globe)? Do you feel compelled to reach for your phone/computer to make a donation or do you feel like reaching for your remote control before the first picture of a horribly abused animal comes into view on your TV screen; the same picture you've looked at hundreds of times before?

Firstly, I want to state that I am 100% animal lover - my life has been greatly enhanced by the many four-footed friends I've had the privilege to know, I've participated in animal rescue missions and I do the best I can to help support as many animal-related charities as possible. I have also instilled this same altruism in my children who have come to understand the many ways our animal friends bring great enrichment to our lives. Because of these deep-routed feelings, I find myself perplexed about my ambivalence relating to these commercials.

Over the last year or two, I must have watched this same commercial here in the US at least a hundred times, at all hours of the day and night, and I can recall the progression of my reaction - at first, I was saddened by the animals shown and hopeful that the commercial might compel some people not already involved in animal advocacy to rethink their position and/or make a donation if possible, but as time has gone by and I continue to be barraged with the same commercial over and over again, my feelings have changed from sadness and hope - to dread and numbness - and now, in the end, apathy and anger. There's no question that animal homelessness, abandonment and cruelty are huge global problems and that given the right economic conditions, I'd like to think that most decent and caring people would do what they can to mitigate the situation, but at what point does the perceived motivation related to the continuous drilling of these images change from one of benevolent concern to manipulative harassment?

Even as I type this thread, I'm concerned that its purpose will be misconstrued. My question is not about whether we should have a desire or obligation to help our animal brethren or if these organizations should have a means to broadcast their message; it's about my own experience of being led down the road to desensitization and whether I'm alone in my concern that this type of repetitious attempt to tug at our most basic feelings of sympathy and compassion could possibly reach the point of counter-productivity. I still intend to donate to all of the same charities I believe in for as long as I'm financially able to; however, there's no question about the negative connotation this particular organization has provoked in me since I cringe when I even hear the music I've come to associate with them. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar affect.

Thanks for reading and for your input.

Timidgal

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

I agree completely, whenever I see those commercials I just wonder how much of the donated money goes toward "administrative costs" and how much actually helps the animals.
And how much of that money goes into air time for the commercials? Clearly they are overdoing it since the message has actually become counter productive.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
first i vomit. then i curse at these low down fraudsters who run these shelters, because more than likely that one eyed kitten you just saw has already been euthanized.

so was that 3 legged dog and the featherless parrot.

these organizations are nothing more than scams that if they do actually have a brick and mortar facility, put down more animals than they save.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Frankly, they only give me the urge to be not-so-nice, shall we say, to those who abuse animals like that. Watching those commercials does nothing but make me angry.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Very well said...love your thoughts on this!

I suppose we all (or most) question things like this and certainly before we break out the checkbook and send any money. Here are my thoughts and a personal run down of sending off money anymore...

Last year I was required to read a book and to write an essay on the author (it was co-authored too)...maybe you have heard of it..."Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson...anyway a man that made his mission in life to educate young girls in Afghanistan by building schools in impoverished areas of the country.

Come to find out...the Central Asia Institute that donations where sent too (also ran solely by Greg Mortenson) had taken millions of dollars in and only a very small percentage was actually going to the construction of the schools in Afghanistan...most of the money donated was being spent promoting the book. So needless to say...I have since then found myself in a rather unwilling position to send money or help the causes...it sucks.

I am an animal lover too and spend a few hours a week at our local animal shelter volunteering as a dog walker, and a do whatever needs done helper...so to speak. My wife and I find it not only rewarding to help the animals but the rewards we gain emotionally are worth our time. Outside of my local animal shelter though...I have a hard time trusting anymore...I like to see how my money is helping first hand these days.

It's a hard spot to be in...not trusting...but unfortunately that is how things have become in this day and age.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Glad to know it's not just me and my cynicism. Thanks for the confirmation!

TG

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I cannot help but think they may be counter-productive in that we have all seen the ads a thousand times and perhaps the massive amounts of money it must cost to spam our televisions could be used (at least some of it) on the animals they are supposedly trying to help?

I would be more inclined to donate to a well established animal charity that didnt have 50 advertising slots in prime-time viewing hours, they can probably afford to spend more of my money on the animals.

Good post OP, Thank you.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

these organizations are nothing more than scams that if they do actually have a brick and mortar facility, put down more animals than they save.

You and I are definitely talking about the same organization based on your description and interestingly enough, they don't mention anywhere in those commercials that they ARE NOT a no-kill organization.

TG

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Point well made. I think I went through that phase also but now it's gotten so bad that their useless commercials have diverted my anger away from the true monsters. Again, great point and a good snap back to reality - thanks!

TG

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Last year I was required to read a book and to write an essay on the author (it was co-authored too)...maybe you have heard of it..."Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson...anyway a man that made his mission in life to educate young girls in Afghanistan by building schools in impoverished areas of the country.

Come to find out...the Central Asia Institute that donations where sent too (also ran solely by Greg Mortenson) had taken millions of dollars in and only a very small percentage was actually going to the construction of the schools in Afghanistan...most of the money donated was being spent promoting the book. So needless to say...I have since then found myself in a rather unwilling position to send money or help the causes...it sucks.

I know the book well and am shattered that I didn't know, until now, that he was a farce. Over the last few years I've adopted the philosophy to "hope for the best but expect the worst" (with a definite emphasis on "expect the worst") for which I've been highly ridiculed as a pessimistic cynic by my family and friends. Stories like this merely prove my point and your words are right on target...it sucks!

I am an animal lover too and spend a few hours a week at our local animal shelter volunteering as a dog walker, and a do whatever needs done helper...so to speak. My wife and I find it not only rewarding to help the animals but the rewards we gain emotionally are worth our time. Outside of my local animal shelter though...I have a hard time trusting anymore...I like to see how my money is helping first hand these days.

I take my hat off to you both - monetary donation is fine if that's all you can do but a true donation of time is tops in my book!!

TG

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tachalka

I cannot help but think they may be counter-productive in that we have all seen the ads a thousand times and perhaps the massive amounts of money it must cost to spam our televisions could be used (at least some of it) on the animals they are supposedly trying to help?

Seems to be the general concensus around here and again, glad to know that I'm not the only one who questions these practices. Thanks for the input!

TG

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

I agree completely, whenever I see those commercials I just wonder how much of the donated money goes toward "administrative costs" and how much actually helps the animals.
And how much of that money goes into air time for the commercials? Clearly they are overdoing it since the message has actually become counter productive.

Money send Money Its like most charity big bucks deals..usually less than 10% gets put to proper use.
Spay and nuter your pets
Dont send money till you know their bottom line

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Spay and neuter your pets - best advice of all and I like your signature; very apropos!

TG

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I turn the channel. Always. I can't bear watching and I don't donate, except to my local shelter, where 2 of my dogs came from. So, in this household, they have the opposite effect.

I don't know how most people react, but I wouldn't make a good vet or animal shelter volunteer because I can't stand to see animals in pain. It breaks my heart to know that people can be so cruel as to abandon, starve and hurt animals.

new topics

top topics

join