It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcyclist killed in helmet law protest

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

Agree!
But it is ALL of them - Rep., Dems, Tea and more that do the same! They just TAKE, Take , take, and retake---

They all use word "WE" often - we must sacrifice, do with less, work harder - to fix, etc.

Yet the "WE" never includes THEM!

Do they ever cut their salaries, pensions, benefits and staff? --- or their friends "stuff" - business, and beyond.

Those DAMN people are nothing more than OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS -- just as the maid works for you - YET they have great everything while cutting You & Me & others not connected to them ---

Yep- you are right but include all of them!!!

Public hangings should be brought back in public squares!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

You ride a 650?

LOL boy you need to go home. My wife who is 4 feet 11 inches 100 pounds rides a freaking heritage softtail classic which is 1573cc. LOL you barely have enough power to ride legally on the highway and you want to preach to us?

You should have said you are a non rider.
I bet you look completely stupid dresses head to toe in leather and plastic on such a little bitty thing.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Helmet laws are in effect to save your melon, not to opress the riders themselves.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

True, but practically any decision you make carries the risk of fatal consequences somewhere down the road. I really don't think its necessary to have a law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets. Meh.

That's a slippery slope argument. Helmets provide a minimal amount of protection - and being legally "forced" to wear one could very well save your life from an easily preventable death.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

All people need is to comprehend the weight of the danger involved in riding a motorcycle with and without a helmet. Then let them decide. If they're that concerned, they shouldn't be on a bike, anyway. Being forced to wear a helmet isn't a big deal at the end of the day. I'm just doubtful that the government really gives a # about the safety of the population. These laws have probably only been enforced to pacify the family members of people who have died in motorcycle crashes.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

In the cycling world helmets have actually shown an increase in risky behaviors like higher drops and faster speeds.

It's often referred to as strapping on your balls.

The added sense of security adds to the risks taken.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Maybe he should've wore a helmet.

baa zing.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming

You ride a 650?

LOL boy you need to go home. My wife who is 4 feet 11 inches 100 pounds rides a freaking heritage softtail classic which is 1573cc. LOL you barely have enough power to ride legally on the highway and you want to preach to us?

You should have said you are a non rider.
I bet you look completely stupid dresses head to toe in leather and plastic on such a little bitty thing.

It's riders like you who motorcycle culture a bad name.

The bike I ride has a specific purpose. It's a dual sport motorcycle. I live in Central Oregon and ride everything from single track mountain trails, to high desert OHV areas, to Interstate highway. I specifically do *not* own a larger motorcycle specifically because a larger (say BMW 1200 GS) isn't suited to the single track/rough terrain which requires a more technical riding style.

Your bike is large Harley, designed for one purpose only: pushing air down the highway with lots of weight. To push all that weight (fat rider, fat wife, all the gear + the kitchen sink) requires that you have a larger engine.

That doesn't make you more of a motorcycle rider by any means. In fact, your style of riding requires the least amount of motorcycle riding skills. My style of riding requires that I know how to keep a fully loaded down bike (camping gear, tools, luggage, etc.) rubber side down through a variety of challenging surfaces including mud, sand, river rock, deep gravel, creek crossings, all the while negotiating around bushes, trees, and boulders.

My point: You judge a motorcycle rider by the SKILLS he has, not the size of his engine. Any douche bag can buy a 1500cc bike, jump on and ride. You being a case in point.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

True, but practically any decision you make carries the risk of fatal consequences somewhere down the road. I really don't think its necessary to have a law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets. Meh.

That's a slippery slope argument. Helmets provide a minimal amount of protection - and being legally "forced" to wear one could very well save your life from an easily preventable death.

Why stop at helmet laws for motorcycles? Why not deem anything bad or harmful for individuals as illegal? Who's to determine at what point it crosses a line between good intentions and the road to hell? I'm reminded of the conversation between Lenina Huxley and John Spartan in "Demolition Man":

Lenina Huxley: Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...
John Spartan: Are you sh#ing me?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
John Spartan: What the hell is that?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

Lenina Huxley: Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a license...

edit on 4-7-2011 by quadagent because: formatting

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

I'm not opposed to helmet laws, but there needs to be some changes if they are to stay.

1. Every dealer that sells a bike must provide a helmet to those who do not have one. I know some do, but most dont. Cars come equipt with seatbelts already installed. You are not made to purchase them completely seperate from the vehicle.

2. The price for a quality helmet needs to come down. I recently bought a helmet for my wife that cost about 150 dollars that was a plain three quarter helmet with a three quarter face sheild.

3. Make full helmets illegal. They are dangerous and add to injuries.

I have been riding for a very long time and have had 3 crashes all do to the fact that the car that hit me claimed they didn't see me. All three times I didn't have a helmet on and all three times I haven't had a head injury. My friend on the other hand who had an accident not to long ago was wearing a modular helmet. He escaped all injuries except for his collar bone being broken by his helmet. When he hit the asphault the bottom of his helmet snapped his right collar bone.

If we have to have helmet laws then I think these things need to be implemented.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

I pay my own health insurance and what I choose to do isn't any of your concern. I've ridden for many years and realize the risk involved. The risk is not any greater than other forms of transportation or many other hobbies.

I don't need a nanny and I don't need a govt official to protect me from myself. Thanks for you heartfelt concern

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
For anyone not wearing helmets when they ride I would love for them to spend a day with me at work to see what happens

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Motorcycles are very dangerous I think a law mandating that people use helmets is good. Takeing a shower is also dangerous I think we should have showering helmet laws. Too often people are slipping in the shower. Its one of the most dangerous places in ones home. We need to create a new government agencie to police and enforce helmet laws for showers mabey even have another agencie give out showering permits after a state aproved showering saftey course. Mabey have another state agencie inspect are showers and issue out tickets for those violating the shower helmet laws. Its worth it if it just saves one person! !

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by quadagent

Apparently you don't understand what the Slippery Slope fallacy is. Click on that link and learn. It can be used as a (weak) argument for practically any topic.

Just because it sounds logical doesn't mean that it is logical.

For example - I could use it to argue FOR helmet laws - this way:

If we make helmets optional, what next? Seat belts? Baby seats? Then they'll just get rid of all safety regulations!! Fire extinguishers will no longer be required! No more guard rails on highways! No speed limits! No Air Traffic Control!! The whole world will spiral into chaos of danger!!!

You see how it doesn't make sense? I mean, if we got rid of the helmet law, do you really think that at some point down the line we would rid of speed limits? NO.

The same can be said for your argument. Just because we create helmet laws doesn't mean that we are going to make safety laws for every conceivable danger known to man (like the lightning strike law you suggested).

Slippery slope dude, slippery slope. Helmet laws are about helmet laws. Nothing else.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Youmakemewonder

I have rarely heard of a fatal motorcycle wreck that was the fault of the rider. Most are the fault of the idiots in cars that don't pay attention to what they are doing. Most bike riders are the more aware people on the road for that reason.

I'm sure you would be much safer in your car with a helmet also. Since you seem to be concerned about the safety of us on bikes maybe you should turn off your phone and radio and pay attention to what is happening around you when you drive. The excuse i always hear from the drivers in cars and trucks is 'I didn't see them'. That is because they were distracted and not paying attention

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Don't worry about insulting me junior. My wife and I are not overweight and I promise I have all the skill to ride dirt or road. I just find it funny that someone that has a glorified scooter has the nerve to chime in on helmet laws.

I have a dirt bike also and wear a helmet when riding it. I do it because I ride alone when riding a dirtbike and take a lot of risk. I own a roadking classic because I take a lot of road trips on it during the summer (1000 miles or more one way) and need the comfort of a smooth ride.

I am a biker and proud of the fact. I have earned the right to throw my 2 cents in as it does affect my way of life. I will be exiting the militay in a few months and want the option of wearing one unless certain things that my last post have been stated have been met. I don't hold any weight to the opinion of the weekend rider, such as yourself.

The only opinion that should matter is those who is greatly affected by it. Now go play with your little boy toy while wearing your ear plugs and let the big boys deal with big boy problems.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Becoming because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
reply to post by sith9157

I have been riding for a very long time and have had 3 crashes all do to the fact that the car that hit me claimed they didn't see me.

Sounds like you need to brush up on your defensive driving skills. Either that or you don't know how to control your 1500cc Harley like you should.

I've avoided 2 separate idiots in meat cages who, if I hadn't taken quick action, would have hit me. It's beginning to look like, contrary to what you first attempted to claim, that I'm a better rider than you, hands down.

The scariest part is that despite you being hit by 3 cars and being EXTREMELY fortunate not to have crushed your skull into the pavement, you still don't regularly wear a helmet.

Good luck to you, you crash prone, non-helmet wearing Harley rider. Good luck. Hope you have a good life insurance policy.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
reply to post by Youmakemewonder

I have rarely heard of a fatal motorcycle wreck that was the fault of the rider. Most are the fault of the idiots in cars that don't pay attention to what they are doing. Most bike riders are the more aware people on the road for that reason.

I'm sure you would be much safer in your car with a helmet also. Since you seem to be concerned about the safety of us on bikes maybe you should turn off your phone and radio and pay attention to what is happening around you when you drive. The excuse i always hear from the drivers in cars and trucks is 'I didn't see them'. That is because they were distracted and not paying attention

Exactly.

Bikers are being penalized because of moron car drivers hitting us. The other bikers are being penalized for is moron crotch rocket riders. How many here have seen one of these morons speeding down the road whipping in and out of traffic?

I thank all the morons on the road, crotch rocket riders and 4 wheel vehicles alike.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by fleabit

Of course they do.

Education and experience. Not legislation.

I always wear a helmet and I always use my seatbelt.

I recommend everyone do the same.

I would never support legislation mandating either.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

hey man, I mostly agree with what you are saying but riders insulting other riders isn't getting us anywhere. If he chooses to wear a helmet that's great....if we choose not to that's great too. It is about the freedom to have the choice.

I have a 95" stage 3 Wide Glide that is about 95hp and 95 lbs of torque. I love to ride but respect the power. The bike can easily get away from me if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing. That is the key...pay attention to what you do and what others on the road do.

You guys can argue more....I'm gonna ride. happy Independence Day to all

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join