It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brentwood cares more about its own looks than for the homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is an issue that has been ongoing for a couple of months in Brentwood, TN. Basically, the homeless there were selling newspapers to make money. The city banned them from doing so. I guess it's better to have starving people and beggars than people trying to get back on their feet. Of course, it's all about public safety. I understand that. I really do, but banning it all together is a bad idea. I agree they need to get them off the actual streets if that is indeed the safety issue. However, there has to be a middle ground here.

This is an opinion piece, but I do share its views.

Source

The Contributor newspaper and the ACLU filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Brentwood that is straightforward: The city has an overly broad ordinance to stop anyone from selling stuff from public sidewalks. But both the United States and Tennessee constitutions guarantee the right of free speech, expression and freedom of the press. Brentwood officials claim they issued citations to the newspaper vendors for safety’s sake. It’s far more likely that Brentwood officials don’t want homeless people hanging in their neighborhood. Poverty does make people uncomfortable, doesn’t it?

The opposite point is made here:

Source

“We’re certainly not trying to deny anybody their First Amendment rights,” he said. “We’re not trying to ban the sale of newspapers in Brentwood. But, you have to take public safety into consideration, and that’s why this ordinance is there, to avoid interference with traffic.” French said the paper doesn’t assign territory to any of its vendors, allowing sellers to pick their own street corners. She called the expansion outside Davidson County a “natural progression.” In the weeks following the citations, she said vendors “may or may not be” returning to Brentwood. “We’ve been very open with them, that if you go to this area you may receive a citation,” French said. “At the same time, we believe you’re within your First Amendment rights to be selling this paper on public property.”

The ACLU is now fighting it in court under the First Amendment issue.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It always seems strange that for such a Christian nation Americans treat their poor very badly. Preaching the virtues of Christianity while carrying out the practice of social darwinism

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I used to live close to Brentwood and I know all about that town and to be quite honest they were probably scared and disgusted by the looks of the homeless persons selling the papers. They don't want to see that side of life on their way to mega church.

new topics

join