It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our government slowly eroding our fundamental rights?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Should we trust our government? With this being an election year and all the news focused on politics it started me thinking about the bill of rights and the changes that have occurred slowly over the years.

Our country is based on freedom of choice, when our forefathers set up this country it was based on rights that are still in effect today, a few have been added but none have been removed...The problem comes in because slowly but surely these rights have been modified-the right to bear arms for example no permits are required and other various stipulations are in place, the pursuit of happiness-I can think of a bunch of modifications on this one-public smoking, DWI legislation, seat belts, Helmuts etc.etc. If we take each of the bill of rights there are changes on most of them.

We have slowly excepted these changes without really noticing that they are eroding our rights, and the process seem to have increased lately, doesn't seem to matter if a republican or democrat is in charge. I wonder if this is a conscious decision on the part of politicians or is it just the slow erosion of government standards & policies. Or is it that when a politician comes into office he or she feels they have to make some sort of change to be noticed.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
They sure are, I'll just say "the miami model" again.

www.democracynow.org...

Oh and post this article by George Monbiot again (brilliant journalist, desrves medal!)

www.monbiot.com...-880

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the great article Corinthas!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
Thanks for the great article Corinthas!

Not a problem at all, most welcome!

top topics

join