It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need quality user feedback for my new site.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I just created my site on May 25, 2011 and I believe the content is funny and unique. However, I am lacking quality user feedback. I was wondering if anyone could visit my site and give me advice about how to make it better and more compelling.

SultanStyle.com

Questions:
Is it interesting to you? Why?
How can I improve it?
Are the placement of my Google ads ok?
What do you like? Why?
What dont you like? Why?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Event Horizon

I'm not completely positive, because I don't care enough to look it up, but I think this is a violation of the T&C's on ATS. Regardless if you are claiming that you just want feedback, you are still using ATS as a way to promote your own site.

I will still look. I'm just saying this thread might get closed though.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well I suppose it is a form a promotion but that is not my intention. I've been member of ATS for a long time and have never intentionally promoted a site. I am genuinely looking for quality feedback.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I don't mind. I was just saying that, because I thought you may want to look up where it states it in the T&C.

Anyways...
I'll be honest, I am not exactly sure what your site is about, but as far as general appearance in the eyes of a regular person, such as myself, it looks fine. There have been many sites that I have opened and immediately thought, "Why in the hell would they do that?" I did not get that thought when I opened yours.

Personal preferences only- I don't like 'bright white' too much, so even though the main area of text is white, I like the purple (or dark blue) border that is around it. ~FYI: Widescreen monitor.

Also, I'll give
for the 'Sultan's Magical Herb' video. Kinda silly, but it did make me laugh a bit lol.

I don't know, but as far as overall appearance, I don't see anything that I think definitely needs changed. Maybe a light grey background instead of the white. That is just my own opinion. Like I said, the white is much easier to deal with, when it is surrounded by a dark color. All in all, it looks good to me.

I am somewhat interested in 'Desert Road Truckers,' but at the moment, I am not convinced that it is more dangerous than Alaskan Crab Fishing.
Actually, I haven't searched yet, but I did read the small paragraph about that, and am curious why you did not give a date for the show.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I'm not completely positive, because I don't care enough to look it up, but I think this is a violation of the T&C's on ATS. Regardless if you are claiming that you just want feedback, you are still using ATS as a way to promote your own site.

I will still look. I'm just saying this thread might get closed though.

i agree with the self promotion thing also BUT we post links to other sites up here all the time so if it gets pulled it sux...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I am not exactly sure what your site is about, but as far as general appearance in the eyes of a regular person, such as myself, it looks fine

I understand. Ive been trying to describe what my site is. Its hard for me too and I create the content. The Royal Sultan is a cross between the James Bond and the Dos Equis, "Most Interesting Man." But how do you explain that to someone? Its tough I think. Everyone knows he is full of sh*t but thats what I like. It reminds of when a man says, "A gentleman never tells" everyone knows hes not a gentleman and thats what is funny.

I don't like 'bright white' too much, so even though the main area of text is white, I like the purple (or dark blue) border that is around it.

I agree with you. I just havent figured out how to change it throughout my entire site without messing up the css. **lol** I would like to change it though.

Also, I'll give for the 'Sultan's Magical Herb' video. Kinda silly, but it did make me laugh a bit lol.

Of course its silly. It always makes me laugh especially the first video.

I am somewhat interested in 'Desert Road Truckers,'

Its not a real show but I will edit my post and add a date, just to make it look good.

Based on what you have seen, how would you describe and/or catagorize what my site is all about?
edit on 3-7-2011 by Event Horizon because: Deleted some repeated text.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon
I just havent figured out how to change it throughout my entire site without messing up the css. **lol** I would like to change it though.
I know nothing about designing or creating a website, so I have no idea what that actually involves.

Its not a real show but I will edit my post and add a date, just to make it look good.
It did seem a little odd, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if that was real.
I'm sure somewhere on this big rock, there are truckers that drive in the desert, and they might just run into some problems every now and then. Why the hell not make a show about it lol. Maybe the series premiere will be on Dec. 23 2012??

The way I look at it is that if Tony Danza can get a reality show where he's pretending to be a teacher, then there is no bottom line. Anything can be made into a reality show. Whether it's successful or not, well that's a different story.

Based on what you have seen, how would you describe and/or catagorize what my site is all about?
I didn't really spend that much time on it earlier. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read very much on the 'About' page. I thought it may have been satire, but I really didn't know for sure.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make that more easily known? I guess that might depend on where you are trying to get 'traffic' from. If someone clicks a link somewhere, and at the time that they click it, they know that it is satire/comedy, then that may be different. For me, I had absolutely no idea what I was clicking. For all I know, you actually could be a bored billionaire with a big yacht.

Like I said, I didn't click every page, but I'll check it out again later. Have you created a profile page? I'm sure you could come up with many descriptive words to give an accurate image of the Sultan. Maybe you could use some certain particular terms in a profile, that would make it a little more obvious that it is satirical, but without actually coming out and saying it. Can't think of any good words to describe what I'm trying to say there↑↑. It might make sense. It might not, but I'm about to get off here. Good luck interpreting what I'm trying to say.

ETA- I just now scrolled up to your OP, and noticed that you said, ".....it is funny and unique...." I guess I didn't catch that part earlier. Maybe that's a good thing that I didn't notice at first, or maybe not....

edit on 7/3/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I know nothing about designing or creating a website, so I have no idea what that actually involves.

Its ok, its the user experience that I am interested in and that is what I needed. Thank you.

The way I look at it is that if Tony Danza can get a reality show where he's pretending to be a teacher, then there is no bottom line. Anything can be made into a reality show. Whether it's successful or not, well that's a different story.

lol, poor Tony Danza but I agree.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make that more easily known? I guess that might depend on where you are trying to get 'traffic' from. If someone clicks a link somewhere, and at the time that they click it, they know that it is satire/comedy, then that may be different. For me, I had absolutely no idea what I was clicking. For all I know, you actually could be a bored billionaire with a big yacht.

Satire is good. I hadnt thought about that word but that is great.

Have you created a profile page? I'm sure you could come up with many descriptive words to give an accurate image of the Sultan.

Profile page? Are you referring to a site map? I have created that yes.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

lol, poor Tony Danza but I agree.
lol. I couldn't resist myself on that one.

Profile page? Are you referring to a site map? I have created that yes.

Not exactly. Basically something that provides background information about The Sultan. A sort of small biography that gives some personal details.

For example, this↓↓ site is about creating multiple characters for a novel. Something that brings the character to life. Also, maybe a couple of those small details, will make it somewhat obvious that he is just a character.

• name age, height, weight/build, birthplace, color hair/eyes,
  • physical peculiarities, educational background, best friend,
  • enemies, family, what is the core need of this character,
  • what drives him/her? Ambition in life, gestures when talking,
  • what makes him/her laugh?
  • what does he/she do when he/she is alone?
  • Will the reader like/ dislike the character?
  • does he/she change in the story?

During this character profiling exercise you need to switch your left brain off, engage your right brain (creative side) and begin to create a character.
    www.suite101.com...

•  

Here we go. This is what I was looking for.

Grampa Simpson
    [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ce2bad76753.gif[/atsimg]

Name: Abraham "Grampa" Simpson
    Identity: Complaining old man, father of Homer. He finds fault with everything and tells stories that go nowhere

Residence: Springfield Retirement Castle.
    Relatives: Two sons, Homer and Herb (a result of a one night stand at the carnival), and three grandchildren; Bart. Lisa. and Maggie. Also a wife, "Mother Simpson", who is on the run from the law.

Prescriptions: Two red pills for back spasms and a yellow one for arrhythmia.
    Idol: TV star Matlock.
    Favorite Shop: Herman's Military Antiques.

Past girlfriends: The late Bea Simmons, Ms. Bouvier (Marge's widowed mother), and the oldest woman in the world.

Past jobs: Krusty Burger worker, producer of Simpson & Son's Revitalizing Tonic, writer of Itchy and Scratchy.

Awards won: Best writing in a cartoon series (Itchy & Scratchy).
    Belongs to: The Stonecutters, The Masons, The Communist Party, and The Gay and Lesbian Alliance (President).

Appearances: Most episodes. Has recovered the 'Flying Hellfish' treasure, fallen in love with two old women at the retirement home (in separate episodes), and has been a member of the Stonecutters. Is also President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance for some reason.

Homer Simpson

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24f72e97c817.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/75a34fb341a5.gif[/atsimg]

Name: Homer Jay Simpson.
    Identity: A big oaf of a father.

Age: 36-39 (was 36 in earlier episodes, but is now 38/39)
    Weight: 239lbs to 260lbs (heaviest was 315lbs)
    Relations: Marge (wife), Bart, Lisa, and Maggie (kids), Abraham Simpson (dad), Herb (half-brother)
    Occupation: Safety Inspector (Sector 7G) at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.
    Credit card no.: 5784365343410709
    Catchphrases: D'oh!, Mmm..., and Woohoo!

[color=CFECEC]"Maybe for once someone will call me 'sir'
    without adding 'you're making a scene.' "

Best friend: Barney Gumble
    Enemies: Ned Flanders, the water department, God...
    Hero: Steve McQueen

Hobbies: Watching TV, drinking beer, eating...
    Fave food: Donuts (raspberry cream or double-glaze), pork chops, honey roasted peanuts.
    Fave drink: Duff beer.
    Fave restaurant: Greasy Joe's Bottomless BBQ Pit.
    Fave cassette to listen to while on a road trip: [color=CFECEC]Rappin' Ronnie Reagan.

Inventions: Flaming Homer (which Moe stole); 'Wonder Bat'; an electric hammer; a six-legged chair that won't tip over; a make-up gun; and armchair-toilet thing.
    Past loves: Mindy Simmons (and Maude Flanders most of the time!)
    Fears: Sock puppets.

[color=CFECEC]"You tried your best, and you failed miserably.
    The lesson is: never try."

Awards won: First Annual Montgomery Burns Awards for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence, the burping contest at the Power Plant, Employee of the Month, "Sir Drinks A Lot", a Grammy for Best Spoken Word or Barbershop Quartet Album Of The Year.

Six awards won at the high school reunion: most weight gained, most improved odor, most hair lost, oldest car, lowest paying job, and the least distance traveled to get to the reunion.

Previous jobs: Teacher, Astronaut, Singer, Manager of a Country & Western Singer, Pin Monkey, Monorail Conductor, Chauffeur, Mr. Plow, Kwik-E-Mart Clerk, and a body guard among many, many others.

[color=CFECEC]"The Sun? That's the hottest place on Earth!"

Simpon's Character Profiles

edit on 7/5/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
    link   

Simpon's Character Profiles

It is nothing. I know this, but it still bothers me, so I need to correct it.
    However, since I have once again managed to time travel, I have used up my allotted 4 hours editing time, in only 2 hours and 40 minutes. That just causes me to do completely useless acts, such as making this post. :lol;

You have exceeded the maximum window of 4 hours allowed to edit your post.

Simpson's Character Profiles

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
    link   
    Broken thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate it very much.

My original about page was very in depth. I didn't think people would want to read about all of it so I did not include it. I will definitely follow your suggestions. It will be interesting to me so hopefully others will be into it.

Thank you again. Im sorry you used all your editing time.

top topics

join