It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Billions worth' of treasure found in Indian temple

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That's a lot of money that won't be used by the Indian government. The politicians will probably use it all for themselves while the streets will still look like crap. Didn't they find silver a few months ago?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
That's a lot of money that won't be used by the Indian government. The politicians will probably use it all for themselves while the streets will still look like crap.

Do they have many Republicans over there?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
India is united states of america

Damn you Christopher Columbus , you should of used GPS

edit on 3-7-2011 by LulzCode6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
this is already being discussed, please use the SEARCH option on ATS before posting

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
you already know they might get robbed, all for gold, I bet it belonged to the "gods" like krishna, shiva, etc

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This was hidden and protected from the British Empire during and through their occupation of India.... So well hidden and protected that it remained so until now.

Too bad the Brits didn't have their own real Indiana Jones back then.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

please noooooooooooo!!!! the crystal skull is a perfect example how some things are better left the way they were... back on topic.. they will probably cash this treasure and and build............ more bloody call centres!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reply to post by Misterlondon

Lol that was the funniest comment I read online all day. You would think India would have been made wealthy by now because of those dang call centers. LOL

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I spent some time in Tirupati in 2004, this is not exactly news that this temple has lots of gold, cash, jewelry, etc.

It has long been known as the richest temple in India, because this temple venerates their "money" god. So people come to the temple and donate their riches. Buses run 24 hours a day up to the temple from the nearby hotels, and people are required at the temple to sort through everything that is donated.

This is not some lost treasure trove or anything, its just where Hindus in India go to donate wealth, and to hopefully be blessed with more wealth for doing so. Even criminals make their little agreements with their money god when they visit the temple, and donate part of their ill gotten gains.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
think about how many were killed or were starving over how many years for that wealth to be accumulated. Money is the root of all evil .....

No. It is not so. This is happening in my home state and I know the whole story.

This treasure was the money of the land kept by the Maharaja of the state before the Independence of India in 1947. In those days the state and temple were strongly connected. This money was the savings of the kings who actually cared for their land and subjects, unlike the current rouge politicians. No one was killed or harassed to amass this wealth. Its from the era when India was Rich, before the British sucked out all the wealth and resources.

People knew all the while that there would be immense amount of riches behind the sealed cellars, but no one actually bothered to blast it open. This temple till today is under the control of the family of the ex-Maharaja. But recently there were moves from the state government to take over the control. Most probably, they will win since the poor Maharaja family is no longer powerful. This opening of the cellars is government initiated and we all can see the drooling vultures eyeing this wealth. Surely this wealth will not be used for the good of the people but will go into the pockets of the corrupt elite.

Edit: The current estimate for the value of the riches is 900 billion Indian rupees, which is more than $20 billion. And this estimate is not considering the antique value, which according to experts might be up to 10 times this value!!!
edit on 3/7/2011 by SambhavaamiYugeYuge because: To add the current cost estimate

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
That's incredible - the latest estimates have risen to 900bn rupees, or as much as 10x that if their antique value is taken into account. The treasure includes:

a 4ft high golden idol of Lord Mahavishnu and a 30 kg golden ‘anki’, studded with more than 1000 previous stones

2 coconut shells made of pure gold, one studded with rare antique stones including emeralds and rubies

17 kg of gold coins dating back to the East India Company period

gold in the shape of rice trinkets weighing one tonne

an 18 ft long golden necklace weighing 2.5 kg

gold ropes

a sack full of diamonds

thousands of pieces of antique jewellery studded with diamonds

crowns studded with emeralds, rubies and diamonds

Can't wait to see the pictures!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here is a video I cam across showing some of what they found

josh18.in.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
-removed
edit on 7/3/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SambhavaamiYugeYuge

Thanks for your insight. I noticed this* in the article and I thought that all that awesome wealth can get kissed goodbye when 'the state' gets its claws into it.

*“Since India achieved independence from Britain in 1947, a trust managed by descendants of the Travancore royal family has controlled the temple.

But India's Supreme Court recently ordered that the temple be managed by the state to ensure the security of valuables at the shrine”

It also reminds me of the original 'Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling when Mowgli discovers the treasury of an ancient palace in the jungle and steals away a be-jeweled ankusha. The venerable, now venomless cobra left to guard the stash curses the theft and death follows the elephant hook wherever it goes until Mowgli returns it to the treasury house.

Maybe it should be left where it is...who knows what evil may follow it?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by R_Clark

Material riches found in a religious temple?

WHAT A SURPRISE.

Good one.

If the Indians had any sense they would give it God. I hear he's short of cash these days.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
this is great news..
maybe they will tell my country they dont want anymore handouts for the poor...

Maybe they will privatize it to ensure it all makes it's way into the right hands.

edit on 3-7-2011 by Janky Red because: Eat ass holes

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

edit on 4-7-2011 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts

That's a lot of money that won't be used by the Indian government. The politicians will probably use it all for themselves while the streets will still look like crap.

If you think the Republicans or Democrats are corrupt, you have no idea how corrupt Indian politicians are.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Depending on how many billions they find and dividing it equally and giving it all away to the 645 million poor people, we find out that this won't be as beneficial as initially expected. Let's take, say, $50 billion. That's about $77 dollars per person. That's also assuming the money was spent for no other purpose than giving to the poor.

Too many people. The money won't benefit them much because of how expensive living conditions are.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts

If you think the Republicans or Democrats are corrupt, you have no idea how corrupt Indian politicians are.

What he said. Corruption in politicians is standard in India. I remember reading an article in an Indian paper while I was there, over how many politicians had been former criminals with jail time, and that it was some kind of natural progression there from criminal to politician.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Depending on how many billions they find and dividing it equally and giving it all away to the 645 million poor people, we find out that this won't be as beneficial as initially expected. Let's take, say, $50 billion. That's about $77 dollars per person.

You make a good point, yet personally I would support giving each person $77 dollars (average monthly income is around $200 month there last I heard).

What's the alternative? Corrupt politicians embezzling or stealing it all for themselves? I'd rather see a little money go to millions than see millions (or billions) go to just a handful.

Either way, it's sounds like most of the items found (such as solid gold statues) should be placed in a museum. I'm curious to see if that ever happens.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join