It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Ahhh....You's both play Gay football, Gridiron with all the girlie body armour, so they dont... "He broked my nose".

Gay Soccer players, who cant tackle and practice how to fall over expertly holding their leg....."Oooo he tripped me umpy, dat mean boy"

Real Football is Aussie Rules!!!! The Best of Rugby and Soccer combined (soccer not so much, maybe goalie tho)

We's is the best Maaaaateeess!!!!.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
why should any country be forced to celebrate the day another country defeated it, that sounds outrageous!!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowZion

No-one was forcing anyone to do anything.

ASDA were merely running a promotional campaign trying sell more US made produce.

In my town they have a French market once a year, must we thus assume that my local council are trying to turn us into snail eating, garlic smelling Frog lovers?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Lets recap on what independence day is.

The day America broke free from the British Empire.

I know there was a big battle, so that supermarket is trying to get us fellow brits to celebrate the day our ancestors died fighting with the enemy at the time.

I can understand the achievement involved for the US but asking british citizens to celebrate, Sounds a bit outrageous to even suggest it!

Would any of you celebrate a Vietnamese day (if there ever was one), when that day was celebratory for vietnam defeating america?

The answer is no, so i feel the same thing applies here.

Peace to all
edit on 18-7-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Real Football is Aussie Rules!!!! The Best of Rugby and Soccer combined (soccer not so much, maybe goalie tho)

We's is the best Maaaaateeess!!!!.

This has got to be a joke !

Behave yourself.

Earlier in this thread, I erroneously stated that American football was the second gayest sport in the world ( after male synchronised swimming ), and then, upon further investigation, I subsequently and accurately concluded that gridiron is actually the single most gayest ''sport'' ever invented in the history of mankind.

I point that out, because the ''sport'' which you mentioned ( Aussie rules ) is hot on the heels of those other two ''sports'' in the uncoveted ''gayness' stakes.

Australian rules is a bastardised version of Gaelic football ( which is a very decent sport ) mixed with some other nonsense. All of the players prance around wearing singlets, sorry ''guernseys''
, and generally mince about doing nothing else other than checking each other out and ''getting physical'' with an opponent. Yeah, we all know the implications which my comment was euphemistically referring to.

Why must some of our more bolshy colonial underlings, such as Americans and Australians, find the need to create, play and watch ridiculous ''sports'' ?

The British Isles is the home of professional and standardised sport, and football ( soccer
) is one of the finest sports ever invented and regulated.

It's the ''sporting'' tastes of some of these colonial outposts which tells me exactly how negative your country's situation has become without the necessary, firm-handed British tutelage which previously guided you.

It's stuff like this which makes me genuinely support Britain re-colonising some of these places like the US and Australia. Why can't you lot behave yourselves like all of the other fundamentally British ex-colonies do ?

edit on 18-7-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

You should celebrate EGO Day.
It amazes me how you get your head through the door.
Oh. I know........yankee grease.
You give Yanks a bad name and I know a few who are more HUMBLE.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
reply to post by Extralien

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

haha, definitely trolling, you really can't be that stupid

edit on 3-7-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

I disagree...........he can.!

edit on 18-7-2011 by Taurean27 because: Want the "bigloud Yank" to see it better.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowZion

I certainly didn't celebrate anything...but it was really people making something out of nothing.

It was a marketing exercise aimed at selling more American produce probably at inflated prices.

If they try the same next year just ignore it and make a point of not buying anything American and also make a point of celebrating St George's Day.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

LOL this reminds of a story. My mother is from Scotland originally, my sisters birthday is the 4th of July. My grandparents from Scotland were visiting over here over the summer one year, it was my sisters birthday party. My grandfather on my Dad's side asked my grandfather from my mothers side if they "celebrated the 4th over there?" My Grandad laughed and said, "Yeah sure, we celebrate the fact that we got rid of you!"

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Aside from the fact that this is just an excuse to sell hotdogs and nasty "maple style" syrup, I don't think its all that bad.
My knowledge of the American Revolution isn't as good as a lot of the members on here, but wasn't the revolution a war against the king, not the English people? I know that a lot of the people fighting were former members of HM forces.
In short, it always struck me as more of a civil war than a war against a foreign power.

Of course, I could have it wrong, school was a long time ago.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Sorry I just had to applaud you for that troll post, even if it is 10 years old (Are you still alive, IAmAnAlien?).

Really, Independence Day more important in Canada than Christmas you say? Funny that.

Coincidently, there are two "versions" of English: The International Version (IE The right version), and the American Version.

Ta ta!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I wanted to travel to England a couple of years ago, but decided against it because I figured they didn't have electricity or the Internet there yet.
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Again, a rather stupid notion considering that the National Physics Laboratory set up Net1, a packet switching network, the first of it's kind, was established in England.

Meh, just bored I guess!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join