It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember When Republicans Wanted A Foreign Born President?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I hear a lot of alleged 'Republicans" screaming about Obama being a foreign born non citizen. But doesn't anyone recall how some Republicans were pushing to change the whole eligibility requirements for 'foreign born nationals' just a few years ago?

I do:

Several measures have been introduced in Congress, including a joint resolution by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, which proposes a constitutional amendment that would extend eligibility for the presidency to immigrants who have held U.S. citizenship for at least 20 years. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

But the Times canvassed California's congressional delegation to find out how many would support a Constitutional amendment allowing naturalized citizens to become President. Six out of eight Republicans who responded said "yes." Democrats were more closely split -- 9 yes, 7 no.

articles.cnn.com... _s=PM
OLITICS

www.sodahead.com...
edit on 2-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: fix headline

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yea but they tried to do it 'legally'

Are you apart of the Obamanation?
edit on 2-7-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591

Are you apart of the Obamanation?

I tend to think those perpetuating the BC 'issue' are the Obama supporters, if that's what you mean?

It's such a brilliant distraction of no real substance.

Regardless, I think it's interesting that just a few years ago some Republicans are looking to do away with these requirements. I wonder how such legislation would go over today?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Im just saying it would make sense for you to post this thread if you were an Obama supporter

ETA I would imagine it would be met with even more stiff resistance now.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I don't recall Republicans really pushing much behind getting Arnold to the presidency... I'm sure there were a minority, but beyond that not much else. Republicans did however, have little to no issue with their support for some of the previous presidents who had foreign born parents:

Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) is the only president born of two immigrants, both Irish. Presidents with one immigrant parent are Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809), whose mother was born in England, James Buchanan (1857-1861) and Chester Arthur (1881-1885), both of whom had Irish fathers, and Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) and Herbert Hoover (1929-1933), whose mothers were born respectively in England and Canada.

community.myvoa.com...

Republican Chester Arthurs father was still an Irish citizen at the time of his birth. Herbert Hoover, another Republican president, had a Canadian born mother.... although I'm not sure whether she was a citizen at the time of his birth or not. Worth a try to have a look into this.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Why do you think a couple of republicans speak for the whole party? Can you post a poll on how many republicans at the time actually supported this legislation?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

They've been trying to get one passed since the 1970's and have thus far failed.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Why do you think a couple of republicans speak for the whole party? Can you post a poll on how many republicans at the time actually supported this legislation?

I didn't say all Republicans. I am reminding everyone that VERY RECENTLY there were a number of Republicans seeking to alter the 'natural born' requirement. IF a Democrat did that today, ATS would be in a tither. And yet, not a pep about Republicans (and, if you will read the OP instead of just the headline, Democrats) trying to do JUST THAT!

OMG! They want a sociocommunzi muslim to take over the USOFA!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Im just saying it would make sense for you to post this thread if you were an Obama supporter

Right, because the only possible answer to someone skeptical of the GOP is a Democrat, right?

Right?

It must be tough thinking in dichotomies. Either this, or that. No in between. Would you like your burger raw, or cooked to charcoal?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Right, because the only possible answer to someone skeptical of the GOP is a Democrat, right?

Right?

It must be tough thinking in dichotomies. Either this, or that. No in between. Would you like your burger raw, or cooked to charcoal?

Ah hahah I like how you go all ridiculous on me without just asking why I think that.. thats pretty childish.
The reason I said it would make sense if you were an Obama supporter is because, It's seems like you made this thread in order to back up Obama, why else would you make a thread about something that was going on years ago if its not to relate to something going on now. I'm pretty sure you didn't want to just talk about it..

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Ah hahah I like how you go all ridiculous on me without just asking why I think that.. thats pretty childish.
The reason I said it would make sense if you were an Obama supporter is because, It's seems like you made this thread in order to back up Obama, why else would you make a thread about something that was going on years ago if its not to relate to something going on now. I'm pretty sure you didn't want to just talk about it..

Please, elaborate. How exactly is pointing out the sheer ridiculousness of the Republicans trying to change the Constitution to allow Arnie to run for POTUS mean Im trying to back up obama

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Because that news is very old. It didn't happen. Also I can tell by you getting defensive that was your true intention. Why else would you make a thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Because that news is very old. It didn't happen. Also I can tell by you getting defensive that was your true intention. Why else would you make a thread.

Yes, I am aware it is from the past. That is why it has the word REMEMBER in the title.

You seem like you are being too defensive. Are you one of those Republicans who wont admit to being a Republican during the past decade

But thanks for playing!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

9 yes, 7 no.

ya so?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Yes, I am aware it is from the past. That is why it has the word REMEMBER in the title.

You seem like you are being too defensive. Are you one of those Republicans who wont admit to being a Republican during the past decade

But thanks for playing!

Actually I'm not being defensive at all haha.
And no I have never voted so I think I win.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

9 yes, 7 no.

ya so?

Thanks for your input, but I am unable to discern your exact meaning entailed in those two words. Can you elaborate your position here for the rest of us?
edit on 7-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

a collective thought that represents a majority vs. a small number of individuals in a party does not represent the whole

what is the purpose of this thread?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

a collective thought that represents a majority vs. a small number of individuals in a party does not represent the whole

what is the purpose of this thread?

I have answered both of those previously posed statements.questions in this thread.

Thanks for playing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Nice distraction tactic but everything you posted has nothing to do with the topic- we are not discussing "immigrant parents"- millions and millions of Americans have had "immigrant parents", yet were born in this country, therefore making them legal citizens.....

top topics

join