It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're Welcome ATS!!! Have I got a Surprise for you!! Enjoy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
well here it is at long last on the internet for all to enjoy!! The entire text of Richard F Burton's 1000 Nights and a Night. Arabian nights to some of you. This work was formerly only available through the Richard Burton Society but now is online in all it's glory!!
Richard F Burtons, 1001 Nights

It is an awesome work indeed, in my opinion this is the greatest work of literature ever created. 10 very long annotated footnoted non of it boring volumes !! You will be busy for years.

for a little background on the author Richard F Burton was a British adventurer who became a legend in his own time for traveling in the Middle East for 11 years when much of that region was closed to 'infidels' and the penalty for being discovered in the sacred Islamic lands would have been instant death. He discovered Lake Tanganyika.was a master of 22 languages including Latin ,Ancient Greek ,Hebrew and Aramaic. Now comes the best part!! He had a Bawdy nature and a love of what the day considered obscene subjects with which his 1001 Nights is liberally sprinkled. Nevermind Disney's "family 'interpretations this is the real deal!! For grown ups only!!

I could not but be struck by the strangers. The lady was a big, handsome blonde woman, clever-looking and capable. But the man riveted my attention. He was dark, and forceful, and masterful, and ruthless. I have never seen so iron a countenance. I did not have much time to analyse the face; the bustle of arrival prevented that. But an instant was enough to make up my mind about him. We separated in the carriage after cordial wishes that we might meet again. When we were on the platform, I asked Irving: "Who is that man?" "Why," he said, " I thought I introduced you!" "So you did, but you did not mention the names of the others!" He looked at me for an instant and said inquiringly as though something had struck him: "Tell me, why do you want to know?" "Because," I answered, "I never saw any one like him. He is steel! He would go through you like a sword!" "You are right!" he said. "But I thought you knew him. That is Burton — Captain Burton who went to Mecca!" from this websiteQuotes about Richard F Burton

you'll laugh(a lot) you'll cry and you will wonder, but you won't be bored

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thanks OP...looks interesting.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

[lascivious] Does it contain the "Terminal Essay? Eeeargh! [/lascivious]

Edit to add: It does indeed! I've got my leisure reading all planned. Thanks!
edit on 2-7-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Something excellent to read after the DUNE series, thank you.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
glad you like it!! I read the first two volumes years ago ! been dying to read the rest ever since
it's gonna take awhile

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Have been waiting for something quite like this. Thanks for the link and heads up OP. I was under the impression that the Arabian Nights were somewhat of a set of stories only written by a bunch of people, not just one compendium. I haven't read the entire link as you might understand, so maybe my comment might be because i am mis-lead

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
Have been waiting for something quite like this. Thanks for the link and heads up OP. I was under the impression that the Arabian Nights were somewhat of a set of stories only written by a bunch of people, not just one compendium. I haven't read the entire link as you might understand, so maybe my comment might be because i am mis-lead

in a great sense this is true ,apparently these stories floated around for centuries by word of mouth and then simultaneously certain writers collected them and wove them into the 'Nights'

Burton was a thorough (annoyingly so) scholar and it is he who collected the tales for western readers. he explains is views on the age and origins of the tales . This is a huge work linguistically, culturally,anthropologically,and historically . Burton himself was member of several organizations of his time that collected arcane historiana like this ,and published them for their own edification as he points out this was never intended for public consumption it was for scholars and club members only .It's interesting from the standpoint on the man who translated it as well as the content in it's own right

probably Richard F Burton was the template for 'The Most interesting Man In The World' (like in the Dos Equis commercials) I certainly have never in history encountered anyone remotely like him.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by MrsBlonde

[lascivious] Does it contain the "Terminal Essay? Eeeargh! [/lascivious]

Edit to add: It does indeed! I've got my leisure reading all planned. Thanks!
edit on 2-7-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

you mean the' Interminable Essay!!!'

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sorry, his name should be copier of stories.

Also, definitely not the best writer ever.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
Sorry, his name should be copier of stories.

Also, definitely not the best writer ever.

I disagree I love the overblown florid Victorian prose.yes other writers have translated it too I have read many versions of it,but I like Burtons best . The footnotes alone are epic enough,he doesn't say he wrote it only translated it. There are some who absolutely hate his version,they are entitled to their preferences. he many opponents to this translation in his day and the controversy rages on

new topics

top topics

join