It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bahamas is the location of former Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The Bahamas in the Caribbean Ocean

Have you ever heard of the mythical island of Ogygia? This is home of one of Atlas’ daughter named Calypso. In Odysseus’ travels he stumbled upon the island of Ogygia. Calypso fell in love with Odysseus and held him captive for seven years, until Athena had Zeus release him.

Alexandiran geographer Strabo and Plutarch identify the location of Ogygia somewhere in the mid Atlantic.

This is the passage Strabo explains the location of Ogygia.

At another instance he [Polybius] suppresses statements. For Homer says also, 'Now after the ship had left the river-stream of Oceanus', and, 'In the island of Ogygia, where is the navel of the sea', where the daughter of Atlas lives; and again, regarding the Phaiakians, 'Far apart we live in the wash of the waves, the farthermost of men, and no other mortals are conversant with us.' All these clearly suggest that he composed them to take place in the Atlantic Ocean.
en.wikipedia.org...

Plutarch’s description of Ogygia is one of controversy because it is similar to Plato’s location of Atlantis.

First I will tell you the author of the piece, if there is no objection, who begins after Homer’s fashion with, an isle Ogygian lies far out at sea, distant five days’ sail from Britain, going westwards, and three others equally distant from it, and from each other, are more opposite to the summer visits of the sun; in one of which the barbarians fable that Cronus is imprisoned by Zeus, whilst his son lies by his side, as though keeping guard over those islands and the sea, which they call ‘the Sea of Cronus. The great continent by which the great sea is surrounded on all sides, they say, lies less distant from the others, but about five thousand stadia from Ogygia, for one sailing in a rowing-galley; for the sea is difficult of passage and muddy through the great number of currents, and these currents issue out of the great land, and shoals are formed by them, and the sea becomes clogged and full of earth, by which it has the appearance of being solid.
en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a quote from Plato’s Critias which mentions an area of sea that is muddy beyond the Pillars of Heracles.

the combatants on the other side were commanded by the kings of Atlantis, which, as was saying, was an island greater in extent than Libya and Asia, and when afterwards sunk by an earthquake, became an impassable barrier of mud to voyagers sailing from hence to any part of the ocean.
en.wikisource.org...

The interesting part of Calypso’s legend is the naming of her two sons which were beget by Odysseus. The name of the two children were Nausithous and Nausinous. The capital city of the Bahamas is called Nassau. The government of the Bahamas may want to identify themselves with the island of Ogygia but it looks like they also want to be identified with the location of Atlantis. Just go to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas to see that desire.

This is how we picture Calypso today, in movies that is.

Goddess of the Underworld.

Youtube clip from Pirates of the Caribbean with Calypso and Davy Jones

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I believe it is more in the Bermuda Triangle area...due to their large crystal energetic fields.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think it's just a name.
And the resort is just another name.

There's nothing sinister going on.

Though I would love to see some side scan sonar of the areas that would of been exposed to air during the last ice age. Just in case there's some underwater city lurking around in that area.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

Thanks for being the first one to reply blazenresearcher.

The reference to crystals in Atlantis does not come from any ancient texts. That theory is modern due to the sleeping prophecies of Edgar Cayce.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Awwwww....... Ya went a wrecked a possibly good thread by showing a Disney character.

She can't speak ANY language in that movie. What was that she spoke? Jamaican,Mumbo New Orleans after a rough weekend throwing beads from a float?

Hell, I could do a better pirate biatch from that era and I'm originaly from Cleveland!

We doontt effer loose some of dis acccenttt.

Sigh.

Go Browns!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

The reference to crystals in Atlantis does not come from any ancient texts. That theory is modern due to the sleeping prophecies of Edgar Cayce.

I probably read it there

It makes for a good discussion.

www.bermuda-triangle.org...
edit on 2-7-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Good point there niceguybob.

I almost didn't include that part in this thread. I love "At World's End" from Pirates of the Caribbean. It's the only movie I own of the series. I thought including this part would add for more discussion, which worked, because it made you post a reply.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by blazenresearcher

Originally posted by lostinspace

I probably read it there

It makes for a good discussion.

www.bermuda-triangle.org...
edit on 2-7-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

The comments from Edgar Cayce are significant because of the controversial rock formations found off the Bahaman island of Bimini. Cayce may be partly right after all.

Bimini Road

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
Awwwww....... Ya went a wrecked a possibly good thread by showing a Disney character.

She can't speak ANY language in that movie. What was that she spoke? Jamaican,Mumbo New Orleans after a rough weekend throwing beads from a float?

Hell, I could do a better pirate biatch from that era and I'm originaly from Cleveland!

We doontt effer loose some of dis acccenttt.

Sigh.

Go Browns!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Isaac Newton researched extensively into the chronology of ancient nations. His dating method centered on ancient texts available in his time. Today archaeologists have created a new timeline according their research. Newton mentions Ogygia, Calypso and Atlantis in this work. It is called The Chronology of Ancient Kingdoms. I have extracted quotes from these works with portions [ ] inserted for explanation.

This wikipedia page explains his theories on Atlantis and a possible date for the end of the world.
Newton's Occult Studies

The Chronology of Ancient Kingdoms by Isaac Newton

A Short Chronicle from the First Memory of things in Europe to the conquest of Persia by Alexander the great

896 [B.C]. Ulysses leaves Calypso in the Island Ogygie (perhaps Cadis [Cadiz] or Cales .) She was the daughter of Atlas, according to Homer. The ancients at length feigned that this Island, (which from Atlas they called Atlantis) had been as big as all Europe, Africa and Asia, but was sunk into the Sea.

www.newtonproject.sussex.ac.uk...

Chapter 1: Of the Chronology of the First Ages of the Greeks

and Homer writes that Ulysses found the Island Ogygia covered with wood, and uninhabited, except by Calypso and her maids, who lived in a cave without houses; and it is not likely that Great Britain and Ireland could be peopled before navigation was propagated beyond the Straits.

The time therefore when these things were done is by Solon limited to the age of Neptune, the father of Atlas; for Homer tells us, that Ulysses presently after the Trojan war found Calypso the daughter of Atlas in the Ogygian Island, perhaps Gadir; and therefore it was but two Generations before the Trojan war.

www.newtonproject.sussex.ac.uk...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspaceThe interesting part of Calypso’s legend is the naming of her two sons which were beget by Odysseus. The name of the two children were Nausithous and Nausinous. The capital city of the Bahamas is called Nassau. The government of the Bahamas may want to identify themselves with the island of Ogygia but it looks like they also want to be identified with the location of Atlantis. Just go to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas to see that desire.

Simple wiki search:

Nassau was formerly known as Charles Town; it was burned to the ground by the Spanish in 1684, but later rebuilt and renamed Nassau in 1695 in honor of the Dutch Stadtholder (Stadhouder, Dutch) and later also King of England, Scotland and Ireland, William III from the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau.[2] In 1703 Spanish and French allied forces briefly occupied Nassau.

Nassau, Bahamas

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Thanks for your input Merka.

The city is just named after an authority figure, how boring. No conspiracy there.

I dug through wikipedia to find the origin of the Dutch name Nassau: As a state and as a town. The name Nassau is first mentioned 915 A.D. in Germany. It was a Villa Nassova estate by the Bishopric of Worms of the Holy Roman Empire. A significant person associated with the name was Count Adolf of Nassau. He was elected King of the Romans, in 1292. He was removed from power in 1298, which led to his death in that same year because he did not accept the ruling.

Adolf of Nassau, Rex Romanorum

I’m still not sure how the name Nassau found its way into the Rhine Land.

This research reminds me of Nazi Germany’s exploration for advanced civilizations from the past. Hitler’s head S.S. officer, Heinrich Himmler, was convinced Atlantis was to be found somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. They were hell bent on proving their connection to the Atlantean race.

I’m probably clutching at straws here. Did Himmler think one of the survivors from Atlantis, that reached the Rhine Land, was named Nassau? This might explain their desire to be associated with the sons of Calypso.

(I’m sorry I’m mentioning these nasty guys. They killed so many innocent people.)

Below is a video done by the SciFi channel, which is hosted by dailymotion.
Video link to The Nazi search for Atlantis
(The darkest chapter in the Atlantis story)

top topics

join