It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secrets of Masonry

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Thanks for the reply, Josh. Have you heard anything about "sacrifice" in Freemasonry? Are you familiar with any historical accounts of Freemasons having to sacrifice their lives for important causes?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 8311-XHT
Thanks for the reply, Josh. Have you heard anything about "sacrifice" in Freemasonry? Are you familiar with any historical accounts of Freemasons having to sacrifice their lives for important causes?
I'm not aware of any such stories. Even in our oath to help our brethren, there's a line that essentially says "only if there's a greater chance of saving his life than losing my own." Even when passing the hat for money collections in the Scottish Rite, we're instructed to give as much as we might spend unnecessarily in a day. The general gist, in my opinion, is that it's always better to live another day so that one could continue to make an impact on the world, than to die unnecessarily; likewise, we ask that you be charitable, but not to the point of your own destitution.

Curiously, while I haven't heard stories of Masons sacrificing their lives for a cause, I have heard stories of Masons on opposite sides of a war coming together as brothers.

There was a story I heard of a Union soldier in the Civil war who'd gotten his first two degrees before he joined the army. At some point he was captured by the Confederate army and was being held prisoner. One night he was dressed in his Union dress uniform, blindfolded and lead from the camp. When he could see again, he was surrounded by Confederate officers in their dress uniforms, and they conferred his Masters degree before leading him back to his cell. A little while later, his prison was left unlocked, and a bag of money left outside the door.

There are also (perhaps apocryphal) stories that Mexican General Santa Ana surrendered to Texas General Sam Houston by giving a Masonic sign, thus sparing his life.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Thanks again. Interesting info.

I just feel like this "asking for information" thing is a little strange. Imagine if our education system was like this. And how do ou know what to ask about? I wonder if this attitude may be why our education system is so poor in the US.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So what's your opinion of mixed masonry versus male only/female only freemasonry?

In my opinion the old freemasonry compared to mixed freemasonry might be conceived by some as "sexist"

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Let me know when I can join a sorority and then we can talk.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sierragoose

Its geometry symbols mate, making good men better ... as ith ALL things there is sadly a dark side however true masonry is about helping people, like this site 25% truth 75% Bull#

edit on 4/7/2011 by Burgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Let me tell you what I think of political correctness ...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I just feel like this "asking for information" thing is a little strange. Imagine if our education system was like this. And how do ou know what to ask about? I wonder if this attitude may be why our education system is so poor in the US.
I'm not very well versed on Socratic method, but it's certainly one method of learning that for whatever reason may not be as popular today. Likewise, one of the reasons I was interested in joining Masonry to begin with was the method of teaching through allegory. I've got a lot of formal western education under my belt, but had never really gotten the chance to try that method of learning.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
In my opinion the old freemasonry compared to mixed freemasonry might be conceived by some as "sexist"
Oh, have no doubt, it IS conceived by some as "sexist". But just because that's some people's opinion of it doesn't lessen its effectiveness as an educational technique or social organization.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Have you encountered anything about punishment within Freemasonry? What if someone betrays the Freemason codes or standards?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by Bdizzl3
reply to post by network dude

How can you be sure that you are given full access to all the knowledge and that there are no secrets?

time, effort, experiences, and study.

Haha. Your nonsense reminds me of this guy:

Originally posted by Moduli

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by Moduli

What makes you so sure that there not advanced technologies you are being kept in the dark about, but other scientists may know of.

The same way I am sure there is no super-advanced arithmetic that the government is keeping from us! Simply, I know enough arithmetic to know what that would mean that that it is not a sensible claim to make.

edit on 4-7-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thank you all for your answers.

GM

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

What is the latest degree you have attained?

Who is your worshipful master?

Who is the one that Freemasons refer to as the "greatest" architect of the universe? From my reserach I think it refers to a highly ambitious Roman.

Are there any degrees beyond the 33rd degree? I am confident there are three more which symbolises an individuals progression.

Why do Freemasons still deny their founders were the Knights Templar? (after the organisations "destruction")

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Have you encountered anything about punishment within Freemasonry? What if someone betrays the Freemason codes or standards?
I haven't seen it happen too often, but occasionally we find out that someone who recently joined us actually was hiding a felony conviction. In such cases, they're kicked out of the fraternity. I mean, that's really the only form of sanctioning we could give, to be honest. We're an organization where you have to want to be a member. The worst punishment, then, is not allowing that.

On the flip side, you can quit any time you like, without any repercussion (though if you ever wanted to come back, it would take another vote, and depending on if you burned any bridges when you left, it might not be so easy to get accepted again.)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I know this was addressed to the dude, but I'm going to reply as well.

Originally posted by naeem11111
I'm a 3rd degree Master Mason, and a 32° member of the Scottish Rite. Those are the only two Masonic organizations that I belong to that confer degrees. I'm also a member of two non-degree-conferring Masonic clubs, and serve as an officer in one of them this year.

A member of my lodge, elected by his brethren to lead the lodge for a one year term, who has served previous years in other officer positions within the lodge. If the chain of officers goes unbroken, I may be Worshipful Master of the same lodge in 5 years, should I be elected to serve as such.

Who is the one that Freemasons refer to as the "greatest" architect of the universe?
God. You know, the guy who actually designed the universe and everything in it?

From my reserach I think it refers to a highly ambitious Roman.
I've never heard of a roman who created the forces of gravitation, the orbit of electrons in an atom or planets in a solar system. I've never heard of a roman who wove the careful balance of elements that has allowed life to live on this planet. If your research has lead you to such a mortal, what was his name?

Are there any degrees beyond the 33rd degree?
In the Scottish Rite? No. Just as in the Blue Lodge, there are no degrees beyond the 3rd (well, unless you count the Royal Arch degree, which most American systems don't), and no degree beyond Knight Templar in the York Rite, or no degree beyond the 95th(?) degree in the Rite of Memphis & Mizraim.

I am confident there are three more which symbolises an individuals progression.
Do tell, what Masonic organization confers them and what are they called? Where can I order lapel pins for them, because you know all Masons are really keen on collecting lapel pins.

Why do Freemasons still deny their founders were the Knights Templar? (after the organisations "destruction")
Because there's been no proof that their founders were the Knights Templar. Absent such proof, we can only speculate.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

First off, hello, and how have you been. I enjoy reading your posts.
3rd. degree master mason, and in the Scottish Rite, which means I am automatically a 32nd degree mason. I am an officer in the lodge as well.

A real nice guy who has been my friend since I joined and after meeting him, I was sure he would make an excellent master, and he has not disappointed. If all goes well, I will be master in 2013. (that is if we haven't been obliterated by Niburu, Elen, or something esle)

Who is the one that Freemasons refer to as the "greatest" architect of the universe? From my reserach I think it refers to a highly ambitious Roman.

God. IN whatever method or reason you call him that. Whatever you call him. It's a very generic term to suit all individuals to exclude nobody and promote truth.

Are there any degrees beyond the 33rd degree? I am confident there are three more which symbolises an individuals progression.

I am not aware of any in regular masonry. In one clandestine order, you can go all the way up to 96 degree mason. If titles are what makes a man, that one certainly would impress most.

It's not that we deny them, it's that we cannot find true proof of lineage. We still have degrees dedicated to them, and still talk about the Templar ideas, but we have not found that historical marker that unites us. Pike thought it existed, and many others have tried to find it, but as of yet, it is still missing. I would be proud to be associated with such honorable men.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Burgo

I know, synthectic diamonds.The perfect mate,eh?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

They are expelled by a tribunal. Every Grand Lodge has a penal system, and even an appeals process. I've sat and watched a Past Master and current Commander of the Masknic Knights Templar get expelled for conduct unbecoming.

reply to post by naeem11111

I would also like to respond if you didn't mind. The last degree conferred upon me was that of the Order of the Knight of York which is one of two degrees in the York Rite College.

My current WM is named George and he was put in the officer line by me during my year and earned his WMs certificate in my year (ID requires proficiency certificates to be elected as either Warden and WM).

He's also referred as supreme and grand architect. It's a generic term to describe ones personal belief in a supreme being. As we allow men of all faiths into the Lodge, we can not elevate any one faith over others so we use a generic term and it is up to the individual to manifest the term into the god of their choosing as their own fain dictates. For me, it is the God of Abraham, of the Bible.

In the Scottish Rite there is no degree higher than the invitational 33rd. There is an irregular, clandestine organization called the Rites of Memphis and Mizraim, but no regular, recognized Master Mason may join them; also see Grand College of Rites. There is also the York Rite which has several invitational, honorary groups who confer various degrees and orders. I shouldn't forget the other appendant orders that a Master Mason may join such as Eastern Star, Amaranth, Tall Cedars, Shriners, Grotto, and so on.

There is no concrete evidence that the Freemasons stemmed from the Templars. It's a very romanticized idea that has been much exaggerated through the fog of time and fictitious books. Not even historians can agree on what happened after the suppression of them. There is also evidence, not necessarily concrete proof, that the Freemasons existed centuries before the Templars were founded; see Regius Poem/Halliwell Manuscript. I am actually doing research on early Masonic Templar rituals and organizations.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I am first and foremost a Master Mason . I am also a York Rite Mason , 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite and the Worthy Patron of my OES Chapter .

I am the Master of my Lodge .

Who is the one that Freemasons refer to as the "greatest" architect of the universe?

God.

There is none , but seeing how you know more about it than actual Masons , then by all means , enlighten us on these " three more" .

As already stated , there is no evidence to prove this to be true . But if you have further evidence that serious researchers have not found , then please share it with us .

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whenandwhere

You're a busy little bee. If I was staying in Idaho when I get home I'd move up to the East with my ex in the Star.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join