It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD Statistics-causes, and effects on people's lives

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by jude11

I agree it is not class time...I just want to know if it exists or not...and you are saying you have the disorder...the OP is saying her children have the disorder...but yet here is someone saying it does not exist. How could I not question that?

I suppose it is the same as someone saying aliens exist and another saying no they don't. I would like to know where the information comes from and what it is. Does ADHD exist...no question in my mind...but someone comes along and says no it does not and here is why...well then I would like to explore their claim.

Simple as that...just saying someone is full of it and proving my point...I am done. Sorry to interrupt the thread with asking for some proof of these horrendous allegations of the disorder being fake.

I know better and that is sufficient for me...carry on.

I like the way you said this. I questioned myself alot, whether or not to believe this was real, did these doctors and counselors know what they were talking about.

It was not till I finally found the proof, through the brain scans, and story after story like mine, that I finally was convinced it was real.
edit on 3-7-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I agree, I wasn't self disciplined.

I get whatever I want.

My dad takes the fall for anything I do.

But, it's not from ADHD. He chooses too.

Take a kid that has half a brain, has no clue as to what is going on,

and

A kid that has a full brain, that knows what's going on and chooses to be superior to others.

The outcome will be different. I have 2 nieces, one with a full brain who think she was born superior to others and a half a brain who can't grasp what's going on .
edit on 3-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Using depression as an example, people who have never experienced it most likely won't undertand it. Why are sad for no reason, why can't you "just snap out of it".

With adhd, its more like why can't you just calm down, why can't you just focus and pay attention, why can't you control yourself.

If you don't have experience with it, you cannot fully realize the struggle.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Natural supplements that can help reduce adhd symptoms:

Zinc:
Some studies suggest that children with ADHD may have lower levels of zinc in their body. And some scientists have reported improved symptoms in children with ADHD who took zinc supplements along with traditional ADHD treatment.

Fish oil:
There is some evidence that fish oil can help improve ADHD symptoms. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids. There are some findings that suggest that, in children with ADHD who are 8 to 12 years old, fish oil supplementation may improve mental skills. For instance, it may help improve a child's ability to organize activities.
In one study, a specific supplement of fish oil and evening primrose oil was used. Results showed that it improved hyperactivity, inattentiveness, an inability to think clearly, and overall behavior in children with ADHD who were 7 to 12 years old.

St. John's wort: No help for ADHD
St. John's wort is a common herbal supplement. It's used for treating depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders. This herbal treatment affects brain chemicals, including serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.
Recent scientific studies do not support the use of St. John's wort to treat ADHD. In fact, recent findings conclude that St. John's wort has no effect on the symptoms of ADHD.

www.webmd.com...

Last summer, 2010, I gave my boys a break from the medication since they were out of school.
Fish oil and a multivitamin replaced my sons' medication a year ago. It seems to be working well. Not as well as the medication, but well enough to keep them off.

I also tried "Focus Factor" when they were younger, about 5 years ago and it seemed to work pretty well as an alternative to medication, but still not as well as medication.
www.focusfactor.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Yes, he is on Ritilan, and another, that I can not think of at the moment, to help him go to sleep.

His next visit to his doctor will hopefully come with a different med. We are not overly fond of the Ritalin.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join