It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD Statistics-causes, and effects on people's lives

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
People cannot help how their brains function. Yes there is discipline, there is moral teachings, there is church, there is peer comparison behavior.

But if the brain functioning improperly, the child cannot help it at certain times.

Yes, there is medication.

Yes, there is behavioral modification therapy.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You obviously didn't read, which means you are side tracked and have ADHD. Pretty much, I said, NO, but took the class on it.

No...you did not say no. You are mistaken...you never said no at all in your response to me...as a matter of fact you said "And yes, I have taken a class...". Please do not dodge my questions again...I asked specifically what class? Surely you could answer that without diagnosing me with a disorder you are insistent about not existing.

I await your next reply...your insight from your class should shed light on the existence of the disorder or not.

I am sure you will also provide evidence of your claims as you have stated in your previous posts.

Thanks.
edit on 2-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Do you have actual day to day to day experience with a child with severe ADHD?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

You obviously didn't read, which means you are side tracked and have ADHD. Pretty much, I said, NO, but took the class on it.

No...you did not say no. You are mistaken...you never said no at all in your response to me...as a matter of fact you said "And yes, I have taken a class...". Please do not dodge my questions again...I asked specifically what class? Surely you could answer that without diagnosing me with a disorder you are insistent about not existing.

I await your next reply...your insight from your class should shed light on the existence of the disorder or not.

I am sure you will also provide evidence of your claims as you have stated in your previous threads.

Thanks.

The class I took was a nuero-science workshop. Look for it at your local college. Most colleges offer it. Basic stuff anyway.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

My niece, do you? Do you know the cops had to straddled her when she said she was going to kill herself? And, she had no clue what it even meant? They didn't let her go for hours from the hospital, and she had no clue why she couldn't go home.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The class I took was a nuero-science workshop. Look for it at your local college. Most colleges offer it. Basic stuff anyway.

I don't need to look for it...I spend 50 plus hours a week at the "local college"...now with that being said...the university that I spend most of my waking hours at offers 22 different courses pertaining to neurology...none of them end in workshop.

Could you please enlighten me as to the course outline as it was described in your syllabus and tell me how you were instructed that the disorder of ADHD does not exist. I need some evidence of the claims you are making of ADHD not being a disorder...could you please provide something that I can investigate (or read would be sufficient) as you are making a very bold claim and I want to explore the authenticity of the curriculum you were prescribed in the "nuero-science workshop".

A link...an essay...report...something to support the claim.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I don't need to look for it...I spend 50 plus hours a week at the "local college"...now with that being said...the university that I spend most of my waking hours at offers 22 different courses pertaining to neurology...none of them end in workshop.

Could you please enlighten me as to the course outline as it was described in your syllabus and tell me how you were instructed that the disorder of ADHD does not exist. I need some evidence of the claims you are making of ADHD not being a disorder...could you please provide something that I can investigate (or read would be sufficient) as you are making a very bold claim and I want to explore the authenticity of the curriculum you were prescribed in the "nuero-science workshop".

Thanks

Dude, I took it at the college I went to. I'm not your teacher. Look for it and if it's offered at your school. If I can take the time to take the class then so can you.

Subject is dropped, but you know where I stand.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Dude, I took it at the college I went to. I'm not your teacher. Look for it and if it's offered at your school. If I can take the time to take the class then so can you

Please do not be condescending...I have quite an extensive education...I am simply asking you to give me some data on the claim that ADHD does not exist.

Can you do that please...as it is your claim?

As a side note: I have studied psychology, social science, along with a list of other subjects pertaining to the mind (brain if you prefer the physiological term)...and I am not interested in what is documented already...you are suggesting that you have gained knowledge through a collegiate program that is not in any text's that exist...so I would like you to tell me where these documents suggesting that ADHD is not a disorder are at, and how I might go about reading the same material you are describing.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Thanks

Dude, I took it at the college I went to. I'm not your teacher. Look for it and if it's offered at your school. If I can take the time to take the class then so can you.

This isn't class time. If you have something to say in response to the OP, your obligation is to provide facts. Or at least opinion backed by relevant sources.

Fact, I have ADD.

Fact, I understand ADD.

Fact, People that are not affected by the subject, often deny the existence of it.

Fact, it is real.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree it is not class time...I just want to know if it exists or not...and you are saying you have the disorder...the OP is saying her children have the disorder...but yet here is someone saying it does not exist. How could I not question that?

I suppose it is the same as someone saying aliens exist and another saying no they don't. I would like to know where the information comes from and what it is. Does ADHD exist...no question in my mind...but someone comes along and says no it does not and here is why...well then I would like to explore their claim.

Simple as that...just saying someone is full of it and proving my point...I am done. Sorry to interrupt the thread with asking for some proof of these horrendous allegations of the disorder being fake.

I know better and that is sufficient for me...carry on.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I agree it is not class time...I just want to know if it exists or not...and you are saying you have the disorder...the OP is saying her children have the disorder...but yet here is someone saying it does not exist. How could I not question that?

I suppose it is the same as someone saying aliens exist and another saying no they don't. I would like to know where the information comes from and what it is. Does ADHD exist...no question in my mind...but someone comes along and says no it does not and here is why...well then I would like to explore their claim.

Simple as that...just saying someone is full of it and proving my point...I am done. Sorry to interrupt the thread with asking for some proof of these horrendous allegations of the disorder being fake.

I know better and that is sufficient for me...carry on.

Asking for proof that something exists is absolutely correct IMO.

Hard to prove as aliens are but the difference is that I am here stating that it does exist. Aliens still have to show themselves.

Funny comparison but correct.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

My niece, do you? Do you know the cops had to straddled her when she said she was going to kill herself? And, she had no clue what it even meant? They didn't let her go for hours from the hospital, and she had no clue why she couldn't go home.

Obviously yes... I made the original post with 2 boys suffering from ADHD
edit on 2-7-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Ok, I feel like you are agueing against it, but your story suggests you agree it is a condition.
I'm confused...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

did you read the op post where evidence was posted about this being a chemical unbalance in the brain?
just like depression is/can be caused by a chemical unbalance. Its proven stuff. its not completely psychological. So don't try and make this serious disorder out to be bad parenting. It really just insults everyone who has add/adhd and there familys who can sometimes go through some hell just like your family im sure. Or are you just trolling this thread?
edit on 2-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Thanks

This isn't class time. If you have something to say in response to the OP, your obligation is to provide facts. Or at least opinion backed by relevant sources.

Fact, I have ADD.

Fact, I understand ADD.

Fact, People that are not affected by the subject, often deny the existence of it.

Fact, it is real.

I'm proud of you.

I hope someday my boys can stand up and say that,

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
My son (5) and I (37) both have been diag. with ADHD.

He is (at most times) high maintenance, and with my own disorder (also on anti-depressants) I find it difficult to attend to his needs. It is very difficult for my wife and I (we also have a 5 month old!)

Even with my meds (Lexapro, Adderal) it is often horrible living in my own skin.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yes, I do agree, that is a condition with those who have underdeveloped brains. I do not agree though, if the child has a full functioning brain. The children, do know right from wrong. A child, with an underdeveloped brain, does not. You can sit there and tell me you have ADHD, but, so does everyone else in the world. They don't want to deal with the kids these days, back in the old days, parents took the responsibility. It's better to put them on the drugs, rather than dealing with the actual problem. That's all I'm trying to say. The way you make it sound, makes me sound, I'm ADHD. And, I don't fall into that catagory. What I do, is my own fault and I have no one else to blame but myself. And some, don't want take responsibility, so they tend to blame it on something else. That's all I'm trying to say. It's an easy excuse, to get out of the situation, rather than facing it head on, like other parents.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I agree somewhat. Lack of discipline and a child running wild and getting into trouble does not constitute what adhd is. Raising a spoiled undisciplined child is the parents mistake.

But there are children and families out there, including mine, that, if it were't for the medication, would not make it through. My oldest son takes up 95% of my time and energy, which isn't fair to my other 3 children.

And, I wouldn't say the brain is underdeveloped. The brain's neurotransmitters are mis-firing. Thats what the medication is for.

And adhd kids do know right from wrong. They just have trouble controlling their impulsiveness. They don't think things though before acting. The medications do wonders for this also.

It's like depression. Depression medications make the brain produce more seratonin, If someone has depression are you going to suggest they have underdeveloped brains?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

Curious, is your son on meds?

My boys both tried ritilan (I would never recommend this to anyone), and straterra (didn't work well).
They ended up taking Concerta. It was wonderful! My family doctor calls it the "wonder drug" for most adhd people.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join