It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an Atheist?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That's the issue though. I don't see any Atheists trying to push Atheism upon anyone else. There are no Atheists banging on doors, opening Atheist "churches", or waging wars against deities and their followers. We've never had the 'Atheist Dark Ages'.

In public forums, like ATS, we do see Atheists posting their opinions and views in regards to religious discussions, but being an Atheist doesn't disallow one from doing so either. We see some Atheist advocates trying to remove traces of the Judaic-Christian mythology from open to the public venues, government buildings, and our currency. This is a good thing however as our nation wasn't founded upon the blind worship of only one single religion, just happens that those folks throw around enough money so the politicians look the other way, doesn't help that many also hold the same religious convictions. It truly is a disgrace to why we swam across the pond and what we fought so hard for.

Now the Judaic-Christian mythologists are attacking public education attempting to push they're beliefs onto young impressionable minds. I would have no issue with religion in schools, if ALL religious beliefs were taught as being equally valid in plausibility, which all are. Yet the Judaic-Christians don't want this, they want only they're views which is why we have to fight against them as there is no place for one religious view alone in our nation. We don't need a repeat of the Christian Dark Ages. We can't even conduct proper stem cell research which could save countless lives thanks to these folks. That and I'm sick and tired of walking my kids to the park and seeing posters being held up with gruesome images of dead fetuses by the local church. Really? At a children's playground where children play? They have no real morals and values at all. They just pretend and pay lip service. Maybe Atheists should hold up posters in church parking lots with verses from the bible depicting the violent acts of the Judaic-Christian deity along with pictures depicting those acts. right... end rant.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by acapablemind

Hopefully, if only for a few, we can dispel some of the mis-conceptions that religious individuals have towards the 'heathens.'

Thanks for the post, friend. I guess I would fall into the "heathen/pagan" category. And believe me I hear it too, the "gospel" is often applied to me. I feel that a religious, or non religious stance/belief/faith should be a personal thing, not a public thing worn like a badge. My religion is like a favourite jacket. It fits me perfectly, keeps me warm, and feels good when I wear it. I can take the jacket off if I desire, it is always there for me to pick up again. My jacket will not fit you, nor do I wish to try on your jacket. You jacket is not better than mine, nor does it keep you warmer, or safer than my jacket does.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
I don't see any Atheists trying to push Atheism upon anyone else.

I would have to agree that the proselytizers in the atheist realm are MUCH fewer, even as a percentage of the whole, because most religions have the tenet that one should "spread the word" and witness to others and try to bring them into the fold. It's part and parcel of most organized religions. Atheism has no tenets (therefore is not a religion). Most atheists don't care what a person believes, it's the actions that come from those beliefs that are troublesome. But my point is that the number of atheist preachers is more than zero and neither preacher is any less annoying than the other.
Even if there are only a few.

There are atheist proselytizers who want people to give up their beliefs in gods.

edit on 7/3/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't see any Atheists trying to push Atheism upon anyone else.

I would have to agree that the proselytizers in the atheist realm are MUCH fewer, even as a percentage of the whole, because most religions have the tenet that one should "spread the word" and witness to others and try to bring them into the fold. It's part and parcel of most organized religions. Atheism has no tenets (therefore is not a religion). Most atheists don't care what a person believes, it's the actions that come from those beliefs that are troublesome. But my point is that the number of atheist preachers is more than zero and neither preacher is any less annoying than the other.
Even if there are only a few.

There are atheist proselytizers who want people to give up their beliefs in gods.

edit on 7/3/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

What actions are you referring to? I understand the last point, I personally would like for people to stop believing and fighting over man made mythologies and pretending they're right without any basis for assuming so. If we look towards the past, religion and religious followers have been the most violent form of belief this world has ever seen. I don't see how religions that preach peace and love and can riddled with violence and bloodshed. It's a hypocritical paradox.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What actions are you referring to?

Oh, making gay marriage illegal
Making abortion illegal
Having prayer in school...
Trying to legislate morality
Fighting over the one true God
And even coming to my door to sell their religion

But mostly things that involve religion in government. Most religious people would jump at the chance to take away people's secular freedoms and replace them with religious tenets and rituals.

I don't see how religions that preach peace and love and can riddled with violence and bloodshed. It's a hypocritical paradox.

And of course, perpetrating violence and bloodshed in the name of religion is another action.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Christ... I misunderstood... You're talking about religious actions. When I asked what actions I assumed you meant Atheists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join