It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an Atheist?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, can I ask a personal question?

Did you ever believe or were you raised in a religious home?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I did believe and I was raised in a religious home.
I used to write religious songs and play them on my guitar. In public. TMI...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I did believe and I was raised in a religious home.
I used to write religious songs and play them on my guitar. In public. TMI...

What changed your mind?

Listen I do question and have questioned, I have shifted so far away from how I was raised,

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

It was a long process of searching for what I really believed. Religion was how I was raised. Although I had questions, I never doubted, because that's what I was taught to do: Not doubt. I had a curious mind, though. At 4 years old, I was asking about the configuration of heaven and how they managed to take care of everyone who had ever died. I asked MANY questions... My parents, and later, clergy, always had good answers, but all the answers depended on an existing belief that the bible was the Truth. Even in my 20s, I recognized the fallacy of believing in the bible because the bible says to believe in the bible.

When I was about 28, I guess, I really started having questions and doubts. The more I searched, the more I found that things didn't add up. For the next few years, I went through a process of realizing that religion wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I still believed in some kind of God for a long time, because I needed to, but it wasn't the God the religions and the bible described... That was just one step and I eventually dropped that belief as well. Only in the past 10 years have I realized that I am an atheist. Because when this all started, I had no idea what an atheist was. I just wanted to know the truth.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I just wanted to know the truth.

Me too, I had many questions, did a lot of research of many different religions, almost gave up believing, So many times I had seen magic and mysterious and mystical answers,

It is so complicated, a long and complicated journey,

I think you can combine science and spirituality, right now I don't see why we need to view god as metaphysical, god is one of us, all things are possible, I believe in the possibilities, faith has seen me through way to much to turn a blind eye to it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
What if God is ALL of us?

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

youtu.be...

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by acapablemind

Simply stated, Atheism is the position that deities do not exist.

The position you're describing is more appropriately given the label "gnostic atheism". It's a lack of belief in God(s) with the additional positive assertion that God(s) do not exist. Agnostic atheism is a lack of belief in God(s) but with the recognition that it can't be known with 100% certainty. Similarly, there are gnostic theists, those who claim that God(s) exist with 100% certainty, and agnostic theists, those who believe in God(s) but with the recognition that it can't be known with 100% certainty.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

This is one of the few gems found in the bible but I will do these things without instruction from a deity, the promise of salvation, or the threat of hellfire.

I will help when I can simply because we are all in this life together. If religion were to disappear tomorrow, altruism would still remain.

I dare say that it would increase. If people realized how fragile this life is and that its the only one we have we may be more inclined to help one another.
edit on 2-7-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Sure,there are atheists who do not believe in God. Those are normal individuals that reached their own conclusion. Just as there are normal religious people who reached their own conclusions and have according faith in God.
But just as there are religious preachers who try to push their own religion on others ,there also atheist ones who also demand others to believe in their own religion of atheism.
Both groups are a nuisance but later one is an absurd nuisance.

Surely you meant the former group. Atheists are far from absurd. Nor is promoting scientific knowledge and a personal drive to explore and know our surroundings a form of nuisance. No Atheist is banging on anyone's door in hopes to explain evolutionary theory, or the big bang, or holding up signs saying nature hates you for x reason.

Now, the former group, they do all that and more in the name of a made up sky faerie. In the past is was common practice to kill those who refused to believe in such fantasies. The joys of true religious fanatics.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Atheists don't care about the man.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I'm an Atheist so firstly let me point out there are more forms of Atheists as there are everything else. Its usually a personal decision made in the face of the fact that what they're taught as Religious Truth has been relegated to mythology not fact.

On the other hand I consider myself somewhat spiritual in the fact even as an Atheist I cannot deny the possibility that consciousness underpins the universe and this does seem to be the case. I think what is most common to Atheists is not really anything against personal religious values but the organized ones, the ones that promote fear and intolerance just so a few leaders can have massive wealth and control. I don't even think an Atheist would have a problem if the Churches did what they're supposed to be doing with this amassed wealth.

The Catholic Church for example has enough to ensure every member has access to a home, clothing, education and medical needs. It does comparatively little instead. They're just the first example and by no means the only one.

Some Atheists will call you a fool or a moron for believing in God. Those are generally childish fan boys who find some power in the idea. The more mature of us will tell you it boils down to a personal choice about how we see things and how we chose to express them. Society should not be based around any teaching to emerge from any cult or sect, regardless of size. Societies, to be stable and long lasting places must be inclusive to every one who seeks to live within its walls.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you believe as long as what you believe inspires you to be a better person. For most that's God but not everybody. The point is do you really want to live in a world where we are not free to choose one or the other? Do you really want the planet to be a place your mind can be ruled by mass opinion or a world where you are left alone to discover it on your own?
edit on 2/7/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Even if God is all of us religion is wrong and should have less influence.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ObvTruth

I am near your thoughts...

I believe you would be categorized as a Theist...

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

That is like saying the entire universe is god...

(which may be true, but humans guessing that is silly)

gee,..

Thanks for the insight,... I thought that when I was in college and smoked a joint with my dorm roomies..

we were like: "WOW...that is DEEP"... LOL!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Sure,there are atheists who do not believe in God. Those are normal individuals that reached their own conclusion. Just as there are normal religious people who reached their own conclusions and have according faith in God.
But just as there are religious preachers who try to push their own religion on others ,there also atheist ones who also demand others to believe in their own religion of atheism.
Both groups are a nuisance but later one is an absurd nuisance.

atheism isn't a religion.

religionists SHOULD be called out because they believe in a made up thing.

like i have to respect their imaginary friend.

EDIT: grow up
edit on 2-7-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Imhotepsol

I agree. I have never said that it is impossible for a 'God' like entity to exist. Without all of the information, it is both arrogant and foolish to exclude the possibility. But, I will say that it is highly improbable, given what we know today. We could, in ten years, make the greatest discovery of recorded history and discover a 'Creator'. If that turns out to be so, I will humbly admit my wrong. However, until that time, I maintain my stance as an Atheist. Shortly after losing my faith ( 2 years ago, now?) I went through a stage of trying to force myself to believe. I understand now that it isn't possible. I know what I know and it isn't going to change.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with religion. As you stated, organized religion is really the culprit in my opinion but to avoid digression, I'll continue on the point. A man is allowed to believe whatever it is that brings him some measure of peace in life. Whether that be God, Allah, Buddha, String Theory, General Relativity, or just Evolution. I am no judge to say what is right and what isn't.
edit on 3-7-2011 by acapablemind because: Didn't proof-read.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
Atheists don't care about the man.

I'm sorry, but what?

Care to elaborate?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

aka the false god.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Some really good thoughts in this thread.
I'd like to respond to a few...

I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't KNOW (agnostic), but I BELIEVE there is no God (atheist). And when I say I don't know, I mean I don't know how or by whom (if anyone) we were created and I don't know what happens when we die. I just don't know. But I don't believe in a single deity, that is in any way separate from ourselves. I don't believe in the biblical God or any One creator that requires worship or praise.

I am a spiritual person, in that I don't think the physical body is all there is to us. I think it's very possible that our 'essence' inhabits our body (at birth?) and leaves it when we die. Of course, I don't KNOW this, either, but I do believe in the possibility. So as regards an afterlife, I'm an agnostic but somewhat of a believer.
I'm just perfectly open to the idea that I may be wrong. And it is fine if I am. It's just a hunch, really.

reply to post by sirnex

It's my opinion that neither group is more "annoying" or bothersome. ANYONE forcing their beliefs on another or criticizing someone for their beliefs is very annoying. I must say, I'm guilty of this (with birthers mostly) but not with atheism. It's no more right to push atheism than it is to push religion.

Originally posted by Imhotepsol

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you believe as long as what you believe inspires you to be a better person.

I agree. I think many people get the idea that atheists are selfish and don't care about other people. That couldn't be further from the truth. For me, where many people rely on something they call God, I rely on Love. Love is everywhere, an infinite amount of heady love is available to us all if we would only choose to partake and participate in it. Didn't I read somewhere that "God is Love"? If you take that literally, then I'm a believer! You might say Love is my "god". But I prefer to say Love is my "guide".

Originally posted by acapablemind
reply to post by Imhotepsol

I have never said that it is impossible for a 'God' like entity to exist. Without all of the information, it is both arrogant and foolish to exclude the possibility.

I know what you mean here, but is it arrogant and foolish to exclude the possibility that the Easter Bunny created the Universe and will judge us as either worthy or not to live in a paradise when we die? I don't think so. In my opinion, it's no more arrogant and foolish to discount the existence of a 'God' than it is to discount the existence of Thor or Loki. Or the Easter Bunny.

It's true, we can't know, but to me, the Easter Bunny story is as likely as the biblical God story.

edit on 7/3/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: words...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Hey dude,

Nice post. I am an Aethiest. That does mean that I beleive that no gods/deities exist. Thats my irreducible position and what I hold to be true. Does that mean that I have no position when it comes to religous debate? I'm not sure. A lot of people would say that as i'm an aethiest i should stay out of the religious forums, but I feel we are all allowed to express our opions or beliefs.

Intersting post, should encourage a few people to share ideas.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join