It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an Atheist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I thought it prudent, after having read several posts in a variety of threads which all either mis-represented 'atheism' or their authors mis-understood 'atheism', to open this thread as a conduit for those mis-understood individuals to express their philosophies, morals, and general perspectives on life.

I can start by saying that, as I know it, Atheism is not the 'devil worship' some would label it as. Simply stated, Atheism is the position that deities do not exist. I have found through conversation and reading that most atheists leave it at that. When one holds the belief that any given deity does not exist, what is the point of pursuing the topic any more? If you do not believe that the Easter Bunny is an objective, tangible, very real individual, would you spend any amount of your time crusading his non-existence? Of course not. Not to mention you may not have very happy children come Easter.

It is more often times, if I may go so far, in my own experience, the believer whom feels it necessary to...'push' their position, to promote it and peddle it on the un-believer. There seems to be this knee-jerk reaction whenever I encounter a believer of any faith (just sharing experiences of my own); they are firstly aghast that I do not believe in their deity. After which our 'believer' tries to convert me...which is soon followed by incredulous disgust when I refuse their 'generous' offer of eternal life, love, and salvation. Now, of course, these are only my experiences and do not go so far as to include every believer of every faith. It would be both illogical and arrogant to make such a claim. However, as this thread is supposed to be one where experiences, concerns, etc can be discussed between the two ends, it's relevant.

My OP is not as coherent or literate as I had hoped it would be. No breakfast, a few cups of coffee, and work to be done makes for a scattered brain and little concentration. I ask now for your forgiveness
. With as much said, I would ask both believers and un-believers to post and share your opinions and beliefs in regards to the topic. Hopefully, if only for a few, we can dispel some of the mis-conceptions that religious individuals have towards the 'heathens.'

P.s. - If this thread already exists somewhere, while disappointed all my efforts will be for naught, I would love for a Mod to link it that I may join the discussion there. Thanks!
edit on 2-7-2011 by acapablemind because: Added some videos

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sure,there are atheists who do not believe in God. Those are normal individuals that reached their own conclusion. Just as there are normal religious people who reached their own conclusions and have according faith in God.
But just as there are religious preachers who try to push their own religion on others ,there also atheist ones who also demand others to believe in their own religion of atheism.
Both groups are a nuisance but later one is an absurd nuisance.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I really don't categorize myself in any religion, so what are you called if you don't believe in god or the devil? No religion? I'm not sure. I mean I do believe in some spiritual, like, life after death and stuff like that. And, I do believe in like witches, but don't practice it. (I mean like Karma and stuff). So, I guess what I'm asking, is what so called religion do I fall into? Thanks again.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I really don't categorize myself in any religion, so what are you called if you don't believe in god or the devil? No religion? I'm not sure. I mean I do believe in some spiritual, like, life after death and stuff like that. And, I do believe in like witches, but don't practice it. (I mean like Karma and stuff). So, I guess what I'm asking, is what so called religion do I fall into? Thanks again.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

I'm hardly an expert on religion my friend. I don't know that I'm the most qualified to answer that question for you. I would suggest sitting down and really reflecting on what it is you believe. I think once you have this foundation, you can move on from there. You don't need to be categorized. Just be yourself and believe what you will.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Curious question: If i believe in a 'God' but i believe all religions are based on Extraterrestrial Encounters what category would i fall in?

edit on 2-7-2011 by ObvTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ObvTruth

Pretty sure that's the Ancient Astronaut theory isn't it?

Google it.

edit on 2-7-2011 by acapablemind because: Added second line.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Curious question: If i believe in a 'God' but i believe all religions are based on Extraterrestrial Encounters what category would i fall in?

Atheist is by definition a person who does not believe in higher deity.
A (non) theist (deity believer).
So you are not an Atheist in this case. Faith and religions are not the same.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
speaking for myself, it's my lack of belief in a God.
but it's just a label. a pretty irrelevent one at that.

I do not believe in god because of evidence. I see is an entire universe made up of literally, the same energy.
If that's god to you, that's fine, but to me it has been and always will be. it's just not conscious. we are within it, but it cannot think or feel.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Thats a good one....I guess you are a selective believer....like a good gumbo you take the most flavourable flavours and make it your own. But the tricky thing is that you must be cautious not to contradict yourself. You know......things like....I belief in God but not in the fallen angel lucifer.

Ofcourse you are free to make up your own entire belief system and call it your own bible....who has the autority to call you an idiot for it..? I think there are many people that are selective about what to belief from the different convictions in this world. If there is a word for such a belief I do not know.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by acapablemind

Google it.

Its the Theory not what what category we are in

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObvTruth

Google it.

Its the Theory not what what category we are in

Why does everyone feel the need for a category? Do you really want a checklist to contrast your beliefs against?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by acapablemind

Its just a question since i kind of fall in both Atheist, Believer and Believer of Alien Visitation. And im pretty sure not alot of people have the same mix of beliefs.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Simply stated, Atheism is the position that deities do not exist.

It is not necessarily a position with such certainty. Of course there are people who take that position but it is not the most common position held by atheists. I would describe myself as a person who sees no reason to believe in a deity. I see no evidence of a deity. I take the agnostic position because I cannot completely exclude the possibility.

When one holds the belief that any given deity does not exist, what is the point of pursuing the topic any more? If you do not believe that the Easter Bunny is an objective, tangible, very real individual, would you spend any amount of your time crusading his non-existence?

If belief in the easter bunny caused as much damage as the belief in deities have, then yes I would. If world leaders were basing their decisions on the words of the easter bunny I would have to crusade against its non-existence. If the easter bunny was suppressing science and reason I would crusade against it everyday. If people flew planes into buildings because they thought they would go to the land of pastel colors and easter eggs, I most certainly would crusade against it. See the difference between the belief in god and the belief in the easter bunny?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabytz

It is not necessarily a position with such certainty. Of course there are people who take that position but it is not the most common position held by atheists. I would describe myself as a person who sees no reason to believe in a deity. I see no evidence of a deity. I take the agnostic position because I cannot completely exclude the possibility.

Agreed. 'Tis why I said, 'simply stated.' Of course we cannot say without a doubt that 'God' does not exist. However, we can say it is highly unlikely, not probable, etc.

If belief in the easter bunny caused as much damage as the belief in deities have, then yes I would. If world leaders were basing their decisions on the words of the easter bunny I would have to crusade against its non-existence. If the easter bunny was suppressing science and reason I would crusade against it everyday. If people flew planes into buildings because they thought they would go to the land of pastel colors and easter eggs, I most certainly would crusade against it. See the difference between the belief in god and the belief in the easter bunny?

Again, absolutely agreed. Perhaps I framed the context wrong around what I was saying. In so much as I'm capable at the moment, I was trying make a point towards the religious. In that, aside from those issues you've raised in your post, I have no need nor desire for pursuit of the 'divine' whereas I think it is often assumed that atheists spend all day attacking 'God'...entendeu?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Sure,there are atheists who do not believe in God. Those are normal individuals that reached their own conclusion. Just as there are normal religious people who reached their own conclusions and have according faith in God.
But just as there are religious preachers who try to push their own religion on others ,there also atheist ones who also demand others to believe in their own religion of atheism.

Saying that atheism is a religion is a ridiculous assertion. Is not collecting stamps a hobby? You are trying to make it seem like a position of faith. People who say that atheism is a religion are being intellectually lazy and cannot face up to the burden of proof.

Religion has been a societal poison for far to long so arguing against religion is not something I or any atheist should apologize for. I don't see many preachers, at least not in the U.S., demanding or forcing people to convert.

However.

Have you seen many atheists going door to door? Seen many of them preaching on street corners? How about suppressing science because of some obscure religious morality? Ever seen an atheist fly a plane into a building or blow himself up in the name of reason? We have a logical reason to debate our position and do not force it on others. If you think debating the subject on internet forums is forcing the position on others than you must feel forced into all sorts of things, especially on this site.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Again, absolutely agreed. Perhaps I framed the context wrong around what I was saying. In so much as I'm capable at the moment, I was trying make a point towards the religious. In that, aside from those issues you've raised in your post, I have no need nor desire for pursuit of the 'divine' whereas I think it is often assumed that atheists spend all day attacking 'God'...entendeu?

The religious do seem to think that atheist spend as much time considering the non-existence of god as they do the existence of god. I understand exactly what you intended in your post now and I totally agree.

S&F!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by ObvTruth because: (no reason given)

Raëlism?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Its just a question since i kind of fall in both Atheist, Believer and Believer of Alien Visitation. And im pretty sure not alot of people have the same mix of beliefs.

You wouldn't be an atheist if you believe in the existence of a deity. If you really want to be categorized, I would say you are a theist or a deist. If you wanted to be part of a religion, and I can't believe I am telling you this, it sounds like you would fit into raëlism.

Just let evidence and reason be your guide.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

If you do not believe that the Easter Bunny is an objective, tangible, very real individual, would you spend any amount of your time crusading his non-existence?

If the majority of people were talking as though the Easter Bunny really did exist, and said they talked with him, prayed to him and had him at the center of their lives, then, yeah, I might spend some time talking with them about their beliefs. I wouldn't spend much time, but I don't spend much time now talking to religious people about their beliefs. I talk about mine. I don't "crusade" about anything. I do talk about atheism, however.

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

Why is one group more of a nuisance than the other, I wonder? I with both were more comfortable with their own beliefs and didn't feel a need to change other people's minds...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join