It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil spill in Yellowstone River in Montana by Exxon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Who is the genius who thought it was ok to put a Crude Oil Line so close a national park anyway? How was this not avoidable?

Anyway, I am sick of oil companies. This is why I do what I can to buy local goods and I do not own a vehicle!

But this should have never happened.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

if it wasn't for alternative news sites id not know anything. yet another doom factor piling up on everything else... good find op.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Did you guys see oil down that far where you live? you said you are about 100-150 miles east bound on the river right?

ExxonMobil officials at the press conference they had today said that most of the oil leaked from the pipeline ended up in Laurel and Billings. Few travelled downriver, and some evaporated...

Now i've never heard of oil evaporating and that's new to me...can oil evaporate? because I think that's a crock of sh*t...

As for whether most just ended up in billings and laurel I'll wait for webpirate to let me know if any oil made it that far down and if it was much at all

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Savorrow
Who is the genius who thought it was ok to put a Crude Oil Line so close a national park anyway? How was this not avoidable?

Anyway, I am sick of oil companies. This is why I do what I can to buy local goods and I do not own a vehicle!

there are a lot of oil pipelines real close to Yellowstone...you'd be surprised...there are also surprisingly quite a few that run right through the river...

Leave it to the oil companies to ruin this beautiful state...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile

Originally posted by Savorrow

there are a lot of oil pipelines real close to Yellowstone...you'd be surprised...there are also surprisingly quite a few that run right through the river...

Leave it to the oil companies to ruin this beautiful state...

I really never thought of that, I am actually kind of weirded out that this would shock me. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I hope this Montana oil spill, with no warnings issued to farmers, causing them to spray and irrigate their land with oil, was not deliberate, and will not be followed by "offers" to buy up damaged farmland on the cheap "for wildlife projects", as the Army Corps of Engineers have apparently offered to buy flooded Missouri farmland on the cheap, after deliberately releasing the dam water that flooded it.

As America's Joan of Arc said, "The government is now a very large organized crime syndicate, and these insider deals are essentially what is driving everything, from banking to energy trading to "green" regulations and subsidies."

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tib50

Them getting the word to some of the counties was sort of poor...but the sheriff dispatches WERE calling lots of farms telling them to shut their irrigation off...

apparently a few farmers complained about oil in their hay...but those were the ones closest to the spill...haven't heard much from further down the river...still waiting on webpirate to reply
edit on 3-7-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm not much of one to weave together conspiracy theories. However I ran across this article that peaked my interest.

Obama Losing Canada's Oil to China

The House Energy and Commerce Committee last week passed a bill requiring President Barack Obama to speed up a decision on approving the pipeline. The bill was introduced by Nebraska Republican Rep. Lee Terry, who maintains that the Obama administration has been too slow in making a final decision, the Montreal Gazette reports

If I were to speculate that this incident is more than it seems, I might speculate its a good time to stir up public sentiment against a new pipeline so Obama can give the oil to China and keep buying from the Middle East.

However that is sheer speculation....

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The river is still too high for the public areas around where I am for me to get to. It's still flooding. I am able to see the river free flowing from several places here and can't see any oil in it, but as fast and high as it still is, it's no wonder. I haven't heard of any oil in the irrigation ditches yet around here, but am going to continue to try to get better access today.....without going on private property I don't have permission to be on.

I did see today the governor has called Exxon's claims there have been oil injured wildlife "premature."
Source for quote

Edit: The link I posted no longer seems to have the governor's quote. I can't find it anywhere in the paper....almost like it has disappeared....

edit on 4-7-2011 by webpirate because: lost source

OK...the story with that comment is back up. It was on the main page...then disappeared. Here is the correct link for my above source:
Source

Before it gets "removed" again...here is the quote:

Gov. Brian Schweitzer says statements from ExxonMobil officials that no injured wildlife had been found were premature.

"For somebody to say at this early stage that there's no damage to wildlife, that's pretty silly," Schweitzer told the Associated Press on Saturday. "The Yellowstone River is important to us. We've got to have a physical inspection of that river in small boats — and soon."

edit on 4-7-2011 by webpirate because: source refound

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
just typical government trying to dump on other people...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Occording to the National Pipeline Mapping System, the number of pipelines number in the double digits. Not surprising, considering Billings is the transportation/shipping and supply hub for a large geographical area.

Members might want to look at their own county. The number of pipelines in this country is simply astounding!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
First Valdez Alaska, now this

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I am really surprised that this oil spill story hasn't garnered more interest from the ATS community (or news outlets). I guess the verdicts in murder trials are a bit bigger news than the environment... (because continuously harping on the verdict is really going to change something)
Anyway, this is extremely sad news but I do have a question to ask... I want to know exactly how old these oil lines/pipes are, if they were ever updated?

-The Enbridge oil spill occured in July 2010, just 20 years after a 1990's upgrade to the pipes. Enbridge Pipe Line System
-The Trans-Alaskan pipeline system was built 1974-77, the notable incidents that occurred WITHIN this system happened in 2006(corroded pipes) and again in 2010 (relief valve circuit failure) and then a leak was discovered in 2010. Trans Alaska Pipeline System

I wish I had more time right now to look up the other oil leaks/failures that have resulted in even minor spills. But my guess is that without regular upgrades every 10 years, we can expect that a 20-30+ year old oil line is unfortunately bound to break down.
I always think of this verse whenever I hear something more done to our planet.. I'm sure most are familiar with it in wake of the last oil spill but regardless....
Revelation 8:10 "...A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

Truly sad to hear about, I wish the best for those directly affected by the spill.

I forgot to say I heard that earlier this year, a Minnesota university succeeded in engineering/using algae as a fuel source.

edit on 6-7-2011 by fizliz because: to add info

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Montana Governor: Exxon Mobil Not Upfront On Spill

Once the spill happened, "Exxon Mobil said to begin with that it had only run for six minutes and that it was controlled out of Houston, Texas," he added. "That grew to 30 minutes and then it's unclear if they're now saying 48 or 58 minutes."

An update from today.
Exxon also assured regulators of the pipeline being safe when buried.

edit on 7-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Yeah....that makes more sense. I knew there was no way it only ran for a few minutes before they got it shut off. They are looking in Glendive now for oil....that's like 250 miles away from the initial spill place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join