It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil spill in Yellowstone River in Montana by Exxon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

eh as for geological activity...it's pretty innactive here...right on yellowstone sure small activity...but the surrounding area's like laurel and billings have never really seen much for activity...it's mostly annoying that they have a pipe running under the river that obviously isn't secured properly

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think this comment sums it all up.

A 600-foot-long black smear of oil coated the riverfront property of Jim Swanson just downstream from where the pipe broke.

"Whosever pipeline it is better be knocking on my door soon and explaining how they're going to clean it up," Swanson said as globules of oil bubbled to the surface of the river. "They say they've got it capped off. I'm not so sure."

Billings Gazette

It's a 12 in wide pipe. They noticed it around 11:30 last night. Took them at least half an hour to shut it off. No telling how long it was flowing before it was found. But as fast as the river is right now with as much water in it as there is, for the oil to be found 100-150 miles down river there must be a pretty decent amount released.

I'm not sure how much oil is farther east, but I plan to look tomorrow in person.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

ya I have doubts that it's just 1000 barrels...I'm guessing more along the lines of 2-3 thousand sounds about right...of course they'd lie about it though...that's the norm for these type of things...you can pretty much take any number they say and multiply it by 4 and that's right around the right answer...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
'Course this isn't exactly pristine land. We used to swim in the Yellowstone just down from the Lockwood refinery, and many times came out of the water with a coat of oil. We used to think it was neat because then we were all slippery and we would try to tackle each other. Walking through the fields near the Milwaukee tracks serving the refinery our shoes would sometimes get soaked with oil that had spilled out of the tank cars.

Hopefully the farmers have gotten the first cutting of hay in already and the spilled oil won't leave them really short of feed this winter. Has anyone heard if the beet or corn crop has been affected much?

Exxon needs to clean up this recent spill, but it has decades worth of spill that still needs to be addressed!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

i contacted kulr8 about the farms situation and they said they would find out more and report on it when they knew more

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It's always nice when your fishing and catch a trout that brings it's own oil to cook in..............

No, But seriously all these oil spills in the world as of late have me extremely worried about the current conditions of our already struggling global eco-system.

Are there any statistics posted anywhere about the potential impact of this "small" oil spill? I only quoted the small in the sentence because in my eyes any oil spill is too big of an oil spill.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by Montana

i contacted kulr8 about the farms situation and they said they would find out more and report on it when they knew more

Post when they do, I am no longer in the "viewing area."

I'll have to check to see if they netcast the news, when I left Billings I didn't look back!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by XJMatt

No, But seriously all these oil spills in the world as of late have me extremely worried about the current conditions of our already struggling global eco-system.

You will find there are actually much fewer 'small' spills then there were in past decades. Back then no one even thought twice about letting a few hundred gallons go. After all it was 'gone' in a couple of hours wasn't it?

Nowadays, the news is broadcast far and wide before it even has a chance to settle out of the water and it's always a big deal.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
OK....I am in Rosebud County. We just got called by the sheriffs office dispatch a few minutes ago asking if we had any land either on the river, or by ANY irrigation ditch connected to the river and were told to turn them off.
I am 100 miles from Billings east, and it's bad enough the EPA is already here and they are calling everyone telling them to turn off the irrigation.

What I was thinking of earlier is exactly what has happened.

edit on 2-7-2011 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I figured as much...I would think as far as north dakota anybody with land near the yellowstone should turn off their irrigation

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
new link concerning this

HERE

If estimates are true, that means about 31,000 to 42,000 gallons of oil has been racing through the already high and fast-moving Yellowstone River.

and these are "estimates" pfft...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Eco terrorism
2nd

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
it's corporate terrorism. plain and simple

yet another excuse for banditry on the people, now clean up companies will cleanup at public expense and the Corporate persons who did the deed will suddenly be faceless unaccountable 'paper entities. how long will we sit around and do nothing about this ?

all CEOs of Exon should have to drink and bathe in this water ,until Yellowstone is pristine again ..or hell freezes over whichever comes first

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I can't wait for the world's oil to run out.

When the worlds "oil" run's out the world governments will introduce the new energy's.. Tho they are not new and have been around for more then a century already.

We already got...
Hydrogen
Helium 3
Methane
Everyday Garbage

and the list goes on...

ALL OF WHICH NO CORPORATION WILL UTILIZE....

Until there is no oil...

For me, It seems Oil is just like religion.

I'm so glad I don't hold a job that pay's into the Federal.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
PS.Not a single #ing mention of this on MSM TV. It's on the internet tho...........

edit on 2-7-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Exxon said the cause of the rupture was not yet known and it was unclear how much oil had been released.

"We recognize the seriousness of this incident and are working hard to address it," the company said in a statement. "Our principal focus is on protecting the safety and health of the public and our employees."

source

It's starting to get some attention.

Reminds me of this incident that happened close to where I live.

ETA:
More stories
edit on 2-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: linked news page

edit on 2-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: added video

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by realone91
montanna anit that were the patriots are holding up www.watchmanreport.com...

Maybe, but we aren't ALL paranoid delusional....

And as bad as this spill is, and as much as I think Exxon officials should be strung up until the cleanup has been completed, the Yellowstone River has not been pristine below Laurel for many many decades....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus
so essentially our planet is now 70% oil with a little bit of water thrown in? I bet when lakes begin randomly catching fire people will finally get message. That or they will just declare it a natural phenomena and go back to texting.

we wont need much gas becuase all of our cars will glide without friction across america

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I was literally just coming across the Yellowstone river about the time this thread was being posted. Flying into Billings we came across the river directly over the Exxon refinery there. The river is extremely swollen from a lot of recent rain and new snow melt, but I saw no oil or even any booms in place to collect any oil. I don't doubt they had a release. They happen with surprising frequency here, but as far as I could see so far it didn't look like much.

Meh....after re-reading the story, Silver Tip is near Yellowstone Park. I missed that part the first time. Or over in that direction. So the leak could literally be anywhere between basically the Park and Billings. So no telling now how big it is.

However, the river is raging today here, so if oil is in the river, it will get away pretty quickly from them if they weren't right on it. And I seriously doubt they were.

edit on 2-7-2011 by webpirate because: additional thoughts
I thought you were in a meant institution??
edit on 3-7-2011 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join